7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

Zulus are not that bad and seemingly very popular
It's perfectly fine for me if they release it later as a DLC
But for the last 4 slots in GK please give us less mainstream civs
There are many great choices to choose from

I'd rather see Zulu as a DLC.

On a different note, Why did they call this expansion Gods and Kings when Gods and Queens would seem more appropriate? :queen: :crazyeye:

Hurray!
I mean the Kingdom of Kongo that existed from 1390 to 1914.
It has nothing to do with my home coutry,Belgium.
They are a far better choice then Zulu.
Ethiopia would be another good choice.
But I guess Firaxis has made a foolish choice and chose the most famous civ.
Siam makes sense and I'm not going to begin another endless discussion.
Of all the civs that are currently in game,Zulu has the least accomplishments and smallest influence.

Ok Civciv5, I would say that they should add the Kingdom of Kongo and the Zulu. Then in your game you can conquer them and drive them before you. :lol:

Being serious though I am not against having more African civs and American Indian civs either. Allah loves wonderous variety and so do I.

I've posted this in the other thread. The Joystiq article is up too. You can read it in its entirety below.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/civilization-5-gods-and-kings-devs-discuss-community-driven-cha/

Civilization 5's "Gods & Kings" expansion is looking to satisfy the demand for more depth in the strategy, following the game's launch just under a year and a half ago.

One of the top three changes made due to community feedback, according to Lead Designer Ed Beach, is that the AI opponent no longer holds grudges that last millennia. He also noted that diehard Civilization 4 players complained there was a lack of depth in the gameplay, which is why religion, diplomacy and combat were added or overhauled. Finally, the combat tech tree doesn't have awkward dead ends anymore. Crossbows can now become gatling gunners, which then become machine gunners.

Producer Dennis Shirk echoed Beach, saying the religion, espionage and combat mechanics were the focus of change. Specific changes affect certain naval units, which now have "melee" abilities that allow them to invade cities after significant bombardment. There's also more flexibility in stacking units, though don't expect the classic "stack of doom" to return. Finally, espionage is handled through one screen with no actual units on the board, streamlining the process of cost and consequence.

The expansion includes 27 new units, 13 new buildings and nine new Wonders, which Firaxis didn't describe further at this event. The expansion is expected to launch in late spring, sometime "before the kids get out of school." Study comes first, kids!

I hope that if they plan to add them,then I hope they release it as a DLC,so I don't have to have them in my game.
Please give me 1 good reason(accomplishments) why the Zulu should be in the game above other African civs,apart from being famous.

Is the ship of the Great Admiral Dewey a new cruiser?

Look below Penicillin there is a unit pic there of a German infantryman or stormtrooper with an SMG? Wonder what that is?

I think the white and purple are the Byzantines

And the light blue? If that map are only playing the confirmed civs, then the blue has to be Mayan...

And that is likely IMO, considering 4 confirmed civs are on that map.

Meaning the yellow units are NOT Mayan's UU.

Edit: The white could be Japan since there is a Japanese caravel. Those cities might actually be red. Still doesn't mean the light blue is French anything, because those cities certainly aren't white.

Now there's a great name - from Civ 2 IIRC? As the Celt cities seem to be Welsh, Scottish and Irish, then the Mumbles might just be making a comeback with this expansion ;).

No it's worse than that: it's an English city in Civ5! It was added in Civ3 as "The Mumbles", and is just "Mumbles" in Civ4 and Civ5. It's so ridiculous I just want to :cry:.

And the light blue? If that map are only playing the confirmed civs, then the blue has to be Mayan...

And that is likely IMO, considering 4 confirmed civs are on that map.

Meaning the yellow units are NOT Mayan's UU.

I'm with the yellow civ = Maya, those units do look like Holkans
Also, as someone already said this: The Impi's shields would be definitely recognizeable
Those are not Impis

Yeah, but you keep resources from earlier eras in the later eras aswell, so if they ever had salpeter, they would have had it on the screenshot.

Yep, I was just making the point that later gunpowder units no longer require the resource to build them, is all.

If you look closely in the Penicillin screenshot, it appears that Amsterdam is building one of the new buildings.

Zulu will be the free DLC you get for pre-ordering.

As a long time civver, I just want them in because it is tradition to have the Zulus being totlaly uncompetitive and losing their empire :)

If you look closely in the Penicillin screenshot, it appears that Amsterdam is building one of the new buildings.

What about the German soldier with the submachine gun icon? At the top of the screen.

Zulu will be the free DLC you get for pre-ordering.

As a long time civver, I just want them in because it is tradition to have the Zulus being totlaly uncompetitive and losing their empire :)

How do you know that? If its true sign me up.

Edit: The white could be Japan since there is a Japanese caravel. Those cities might actually be red. Still doesn't mean the light blue is French anything, because those cities certainly aren't white.

The white and "purple" ist definitely white and red and Japan. Trust me, I still have good eyes. ;) (Otherwise just look at the caravel.)

Has anybody noticed this "There's also more flexibility in stacking units, though don't expect the classic "stack of doom" to return."???????:)

What about the German soldier with the submachine gun icon? At the top of the screen.

If you're referring to the new unit unlocked with Penicillin, I already posted that I think it's a Marine and others have said Guerrilla. I still say Marine, because both Civ 3 and Civ 4 had Marine units and neither had a unit called Guerrilla. In Civ 4, Guerrilla was one of the promotion types. In Civ 4 the Marine had a bonus vs Machine Guns. So with the addition of Machine Guns, I'd put my money on that unit being a Marine.

Has anybody noticed this "There's also more flexibility in stacking units, though don't expect the classic "stack of doom" to return."???????:)

There's a new tech called combined arms, so maybe you can put a few units together making an army although I doubt it.

Top Bottom