Trigger, and the Second Ammendment

What Trigger deployments would you approve of.

• Gun Owner: Ban It!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Gun Owner: Ban It!

• Gun Owner: Don't restrict it

• Non-Gun Owner: Don't restrict it

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Gun Owner: Support it's installation in Public buildings, areas

• Non-Gun Owner: Support it's installation in Public buildings, areas

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Gun Owner: Oppose it's installation in Public buildings, areas

• Non-Gun Owner: Oppose it's installation in Public buildings, areas

• Gun Owner: Support making it available for sale to the general public

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Non-Gun Owner: Support making it available for sale to the general public

• Gun Owner: Oppose making it available for sale to the general public

• Non-Gun Owner: Oppose making it available for sale to the general public

• Total voters

nc-1701

bombombedum
Ok, I read a book called "Trigger" by Arthur C. Clarke a while back. In this book a device was invented that created a sphere of energy. The only effect this energy had was to cause explosives to spontaneusly combust. So a loaded gun inside a Trigger field would blow up.

How would you react to the widespread use of this technology? Would you want it banned?

A poll is coming...

Ok, I read a book called "Trigger" by Arthur C. Clarke a while back. In this book a device was invented that created a sphere of energy. The only effect this energy had was to cause explosives to spontaneusly combust. So a loaded gun inside a Trigger field would blow up.

How would you react to the widespread use of this technology? Would you want it banned?

A poll is coming...

So a car's gas tank would too, right?

Anyway, the loaded gun would send a round out of the barrel as it blew up. Bummer, that.

Anyway, I can imagine certain circumstances where a Trigger field would be entirely appropriate (say, a State of the Union address), and ones where it would be entirely inappropriate (say, a truck driving down the road, if the field extends out more than a few feet).

So a car's gas tank would too, right?

Anyway, the loaded gun would send a round out of the barrel as it blew up. Bummer, that.

Anyway, I can imagine certain circumstances where a Trigger field would be entirely appropriate (say, a State of the Union address), and ones where it would be entirely inappropriate (say, a truck driving down the road, if the field extends out more than a few feet).

No it was only a class of explosives similar to gunpowder. Gas tanks wouldn't go, and some exotic plastic explosives were unnaffected as well. Fireworks though are affected.

it somehow only affected black powder? well bullets propelled by different propellants would surely been made, making the device useless.

Ah, from Wiki:

Wiki said:
The Trigger starts in the early to mid 21st century. A group of scientists invent, by accident, a device that detonates all nitrate-based explosive in its vicinity, thus providing good protection against most known modern conventional weapons. The first half of the book explores the reactions of society, government and the scientists themselves as the latter attempt to ensure that their invention will only be used for peaceful ends. It also traces the scientists' slow progress in understanding the science behind their invention.

The second half of the book begins when the science is sufficiently well-understood that a second device can be built - one that does not detonate explosives, but merely renders them permanently harmless. This second half ends with an almost utopian promise of an at-last peaceful world. The promise is shattered 30 years later, in the epilogue, when a research student realises that the same science that renders explosives, biological and chemical weapons, and nuclear weapons inert, is equally capable of neutralising DNA, so that the perfect weapon for peace becomes also the perfect weapon of the assassin.

I want to know precisely how it works before I support it. "Never trust anything that thinks for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain" and all.

Top Bottom