Digital Download: Direct2Drive, Steam, etc.

jp5

Chieftain
I have never used a digital download service before, but my understanding is that the downloaded package uses an encrypted EXE file. If that is the case, what would be the impact to using future mods? Do mods typically impact the primary EXE file?

The Direct2Drive Civ5 offer looks compelling enough to give it a try. I would note that the $10 weekend coupon appears to work even though the price is just below $50 level.

Steam will just install it for you, and no having a downloaded game won't make it any less moddable, all the files on your computer are the same with or without downloading them.

Steam won't be installing any mods for you.

The mod component is separate from Steam. You can use the in-game mod browser, or you can download from a fansite and install it yourself (the installation type depends on the mod author, of course).

What's the exact difference with buying this off of STEAM (the Deluxe Edition) or D2D? Which ones are you guys getting and why?

there is no real difference since this is a steamworks title. you have to get on steam and DL it regardless of buying D2D version. therefore, if you want the best deal, get the D2D version with the $10 discount.

The D2D package also includes some future DLC. 2 civs and a map pack or something like that...

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but what is the $10 coupon code ?

It's time to take the "plunge" and pony up the money, so I'd like to take advantage of this code.

Also, if you buy from D2D, do you download from their site or from Steam ?

And with D2D, you can download the game again at any time in the future (e.g. I get a new computer in 2 years, I can download the game again from D2D and install on new computer ?)

thanks in advance

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but what is the $10 coupon code ?

It's time to take the "plunge" and pony up the money, so I'd like to take advantage of this code.

Also, if you buy from D2D, do you download from their site or from Steam ?

And with D2D, you can download the game again at any time in the future (e.g. I get a new computer in 2 years, I can download the game again from D2D and install on new computer ?)

thanks in advance

Im not sure what the code is, there is a thread here that has it, and at the D2D website there should be an ad on the front page that says the two codes(ones for 5 ones for 10$).

Civ V is a steam game, as Im sure your are aware, so though you'll be buying from D2D you will be downloading the game from steam. D2D will either give us a Key, or perhaps an installer with steam and the game. Regardless, your game will be tied to your steam account after install, so in the future you will only have to deal with steam when it comes to future downloads.

Im not sure what the code is, there is a thread here that has it, and at the D2D website there should be an ad on the front page that says the two codes(ones for 5 ones for 10$).

Civ V is a steam game, as Im sure your are aware, so though you'll be buying from D2D you will be downloading the game from steam. D2D will either give us a Key, or perhaps an installer with steam and the game. Regardless, your game will be tied to your steam account after install, so in the future you will only have to deal with steam when it comes to future downloads.

Hey thanks for the feedback.

I did see the code on the D2D site (SANDIEGO) thanks :)

I'm in Canada, shouldn't be any restrictions etc.. on buying from Canada eh ?

Ya I got taxed just under $4(live in Massachusetts), Id be surprised if any of that money makes it here though!

there is no real difference since this is a steamworks title. you have to get on steam and DL it regardless of buying D2D version. therefore, if you want the best deal, get the D2D version with the $10 discount.

There is a difference. Pre-ordering on Steam will net you the Mesopotamia map. pre-ordering on D2D will net you the future first DLC. So, either a bonus now (Steam, seems to be a smaller bonus) or a bonus later (D2D).

true. i never cared for scenarios myself so i don't care about the mesopotamia/asia/america scenario maps.

btw, what states are charged tax at D2D? they don't say this anywhere

I'm also deciding from whom to purchase. If I buy through D2D and download through Steam as required, will I still be able to get the Mac download for free (if/when it is ever released)? Or do I need to order through Steam to get the Mac download for free?

Thanks!

I'm also deciding from whom to purchase. If I buy through D2D and download through Steam as required, will I still be able to get the Mac download for free (if/when it is ever released)? Or do I need to order through Steam to get the Mac download for free?

Thanks!

It'll be free (if it's ever released).

Top Bottom