Strange DoWs

In my current game, I'm experiencing a mix of what everyone else is talking about.

I am Catherine, in the industrial age, and have managed to keep peace with nearly every Civ for thousands of years (with the exception of Montezuma, who kept coming back for more until I finally buried him.) I've been playing a heavy diplomatic/city-state strategy with the hope of eventually getting a UN victory.

Sadly, as soon as I wiped out Montezuma, everyone has gotten extremely nervous to my expansion.

The most erratic thing is the Iroquois. A while back, they went from friend to hostile almost immediately (no specific precipitated even that I can place). I spent the better part of 30 turns using my enormous Frigate fleet to sink everything he dared put in the water. Finally I negotiated a free peace. The very next turn, he changes to FRIENDLY. We make trades and agreements and profess our love again, with no apparent ill will. Then, the NEXT TURN, he Denounces me again. I'm guessing it will be 9 more turns until another DoW. WTF?

I have a bit of a problem on my hands now, because I am now at war with 4 Civs at once despite my peaceful efforts. I suspect the AI is now going into "prevent my victory" mode, because for the first time in quite a while, I am the #1 score civ (only about 1000, with everyone close behind at 650-850ish).

It is an Archipelago map, and I have the most frigates. So I have a chance of holding them back, but what I really want is to negotiate peace. Sad thing is, some of the AI appear to be unwilling to accept defeat. Siam, for example, says "It's time for this bloodshed to end." every time I visit him, but when I propose Peace, he wants every resource and $ I own. :lol:

--Tranicos

In my current game, I'm experiencing a mix of what everyone else is talking about.

I am Catherine, in the industrial age, and have managed to keep peace with nearly every Civ for thousands of years (with the exception of Montezuma, who kept coming back for more until I finally buried him.) I've been playing a heavy diplomatic/city-state strategy with the hope of eventually getting a UN victory.

Sadly, as soon as I wiped out Montezuma, everyone has gotten extremely nervous to my expansion.

The most erratic thing is the Iroquois. A while back, they went from friend to hostile almost immediately (no specific precipitated even that I can place). I spent the better part of 30 turns using my enormous Frigate fleet to sink everything he dared put in the water. Finally I negotiated a free peace. The very next turn, he changes to FRIENDLY. We make trades and agreements and profess our love again, with no apparent ill will. Then, the NEXT TURN, he Denounces me again. I'm guessing it will be 9 more turns until another DoW. WTF?

I have a bit of a problem on my hands now, because I am now at war with 4 Civs at once despite my peaceful efforts. I suspect the AI is now going into "prevent my victory" mode, because for the first time in quite a while, I am the #1 score civ (only about 1000, with everyone close behind at 650-850ish).

It is an Archipelago map, and I have the most frigates. So I have a chance of holding them back, but what I really want is to negotiate peace. Sad thing is, some of the AI appear to be unwilling to accept defeat. Siam, for example, says "It's time for this bloodshed to end." every time I visit him, but when I propose Peace, he wants every resource and $ I own. :lol:

--Tranicos

Start hitting his capital with a few land units - that usually prompts them to offer peace on sensible terms...

Civs get nervous if you've been denounced too many times (or by their friends), and usually if you wipe out CSes or entire Civs you end up getting denounced - it causes a cascade that makes them less willing to deal

I've had Hiwatha as a sparring partner a couple of times recently - he seems to behave depending on how you treat him and his friends diplomatically. Try making declarations not just with him, but with his friends. I haven;t had him denounce me during a DoF myself. Also, giving the occasional gift you can spare to your less fortunate neighbours (say 30 gold, a strategic resource you don't need or a luxury resource you have spare but can't trade - though the latter will mean you can't trade it for gold) earns the "We've traded recently" positive.

You'll often need to check the tooltips to see why they've taken a dislike to you. Civs can be erratic about territorial claims - Hiwatha, if I meet him early and he's a neighbour, usually starts off wanting my land. He'll drop this if he feels friendly enough, but will sometimes resume it if he has a grievance for some reason. Did you declare friendship with his enemies or denounce one of his friends?

Top Bottom