Hebrew civilization. Play as Solomon!

Great job on the civ!
Even though it might be anachronistic, I think you should use the star of david as well.
The slinger is a very good idea, as is the synagogue, though as others have suggested, you might want to change it to change it to a 10% gold or culture instead.
The UA is a great idea, though it seems very powerful for both early and mid-game. I suggest that it becomes obsolete a little bit earlier.

I don't know how AI programming works, but if it could be programmed to be a primarily peaceful builder AI, like you have done, though go all in and do whatever it takes, to take back conquered cities, I think that would fit. It might be a bit controversial, though based on real life events, I think it would make sense.

Overall, you've done an excellent job here! Now you just need to recruit an artist to do the extra models, textures, etc. for the additional unit, building and leader, as well as a voice actor to do the dawn of time speech, as well as someone who speaks hebrew to do the voice for the leader, if one such is made.

By the way, I love your avatar, Cancer Man. :D

I have an issue with mod navigator, the list just disappears in a few secs and I can't download mods. Do you know what can be?

Hm the last patch was supposed to fix that. One possible fix is to delete the Mods and Cache folders in your Civ5 folder (My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5) and see if that fixes the issue.

I know Hebrew is a language, though it's kinda weird in English. The language is called ivrit (עברית) which is a separate word from ivrim (עברים), which refers to the people. The country in Solomon's time was the Kingdom of Israel, whereas Judea is typically used to refer to the geographical region, not a country. Didn't want to call the civ Israel because that might make it appear to some like a modern version. Hebrews seem to me a pretty good way of summing up the ethnic group, the actual civilization, from those ancient times to modern descendants.

very good thinking, i was wondering at first why Hebrew, now, i totally agree with you.

Hi,

This whole Steam thing is a little confusing to me. :blush: Sorry to sound so computer illiterate, but how do I get the Hebrew Civ and play it?

I have never done online gaming; usually I just play on my PC, without an internet connection.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

My reasoning for the civilization's name:

I know Hebrew is a language, though it's kinda weird in English. The language is called ivrit (עברית) which is a separate word from ivrim (עברים), which refers to the people. The country in Solomon's time was the Kingdom of Israel, whereas Judea is typically used to refer to the geographical region, not a country. Didn't want to call the civ Israel because that might make it appear to some like a modern version. Hebrews seem to me a pretty good way of summing up the ethnic group, the actual civilization, from those ancient times to modern descendants.

But yes, terminology related to this is quite complicated. Hebrews, Jews, Israelites, all those are terms with subtle differences but then there are those who argue about these terms as well. For instance, among Jews today the question of who can be called a Jew is often controversial.

I've often suggested the Kingdom of Judah, but Israel is more inclusive (includes the Kingdom under Solomon). The Hebrew Civilization does help represent both halves (sort of like the Greek civilization representing more than each individual Polis). This is assuming you just want it to be the ancient kingdom(s). If you wanted to include both, Israel would be the best name, imo.

Great job...got it to work. Thanks. I think you should modify the start power, to change to +5 culture, after Archeology, since the Temple of Solomon is the supposed birthplace of the Freemasons. This would be a great way to get social policies a bit quicker later in the game, as would the oldest and largest "secret" society.

What do you think?

That trait wouldn't be easily possible with the current XML schema. Anyway, I will do some testing myself and see if it needs to be toned down a bit.

My reasoning for the civilization's name:

But yes, terminology related to this is quite complicated. Hebrews, Jews, Israelites, all those are terms with subtle differences but then there are those who argue about these terms as well. For instance, among Jews today the question of who can be called a Jew is often controversial.

Indeed. Yet ancient Israel is usually simply referred to as Israel. (Same as with Egypt, really. and they had many more subsequent states and rulers.)

@Solver I think ravn was referring to the building, and the code is already there.. under the mughal fort. You would need to include the line:

Spoiler :
Code:
<EnhancedYieldTech>TECH_ARCHEOLOGY</EnhancedYieldTech>
Somewhere within the building declaration portion. In addition to a follow up line:

Spoiler :
Code:
	<Building_TechEnhancedYieldChanges>
		<Row>
			<BuildingType>BUILDING_SYNAGOGUE</BuildingType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_CULTURE</YieldType>
			<Yield>5</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Building_TechEnhancedYieldChanges>
Of course the values are up for debate as is whether or not you wanted to do this.. but it's certainly a possibility.

Hm the last patch was supposed to fix that. One possible fix is to delete the Mods and Cache folders in your Civ5 folder (My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5) and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks, I'll give a try :)
EDIT:It works as bad as before thanks for your effort.

I haven't got the time to try out but i will in a few days definitly and reading this thread gave me small idea:

- If your slinger doesnt require archery researched then nothing.

otherwise:

- Make slinger NOT require archery as pre requisite (can be built instantly) but reduce his str. (make him basicly strong like scout but with range weapon).

That way you will have solid and cheap ranged unit early and you will be able to avoid archery research and focus on something else in early game.

I disagree with the +10% Gold for Synagogues, the +10% Science should be kept... as historically Ancient Israel (and Modern Israel as well) had a reputation for being innovative (and thus feared) but not feared because they were necessarily wealthy (The Babylonians and Egyptians were much wealthier at their height than Ancient Israel at it's height was).

Ideally, I'd do a slightly different trait and the maybe also change the UB, but I think this is the best that can be done with the current tools.

By the way, the idea behind Synagogues giving a Science boost is to reflect that, historically, synagogues have also been a place of learning for Jews, not just a place of prayer.

I wouldnt say that Israel or even ancient Israel wasnt rich. Under Solomon, they built the Great Temple and there are estimates of it costing close to 3 billion dollars...now thats alot of gold in old times. Not to mention, when you read about what his army had,and what his cargo ships were bringing him from all over. David too, had been preparing to build the Temple, as he was not allowed to. Were they as rich as the Egyptians or others...I cant give you exact numbers, but at their height under these two, I bet they were darn close!!

I kinda like the UB, the UU is kinda weak. It's been fun to play though, wish I knew how to add some Maccabees or maybe some Levite guards or even Kibutz Militia lol

I wouldnt say that Israel or even ancient Israel wasnt rich. Under Solomon, they built the Great Temple and there are estimates of it costing close to 3 billion dollars...now thats alot of gold in old times. Not to mention, when you read about what his army had,and what his cargo ships were bringing him from all over. David too, had been preparing to build the Temple, as he was not allowed to. Were they as rich as the Egyptians or others...I cant give you exact numbers, but at their height under these two, I bet they were darn close!!

You´re comparing a puny nation like ancient Israel with Egypt? :rolleyes: I´m sorry, you must have never heard of a little thing like the Pyramids, which dwarf the Great Temple. Plus they had gold mines. Also ofcourse Israel got conquered by Egypt. And Assyria. And Babylon. And Persia. And... And...

And 3 billion dollars to build it? The dollar must have gone down pretty quick overnight...

A better comparison would be its northern neighbour Phoenicia (about the same size). They sailed much of then then known world, trading all over the Mediteranean and beyond and founded, among others, Carthage, about a century before the Greeks started out founding colonies overseas.

You´re comparing a puny nation like ancient Israel with Egypt? :rolleyes: I´m sorry, you must have never heard of a little thing like the Pyramids, which dwarf the Great Temple. Plus they had gold mines. Also ofcourse Israel got conquered by Egypt. And Assyria. And Babylon. And Persia. And... And...

And 3 billion dollars to build it? The dollar must have gone down pretty quick overnight...

A better comparison would be its northern neighbour Phoenicia (about the same size). They sailed much of then then known world, trading all over the Mediteranean and beyond and founded, among others, Carthage, about a century before the Greeks started out founding colonies overseas.

You obviously have issue with the Hebrews, otherwise why such venom. You are dang right Im comparing them to Egypt, because if you look historically at Israel under David and Solomon, they were kicking some serious butt, and then building a Temple to God that is is thought to have at least cost 3 billion dollars. Who knows the actual value? And 3 billion isnt alot of money?? Where the heck do you come from? That was back then...not now. 3 billion in dollars was huge back then...way huge. Hell in the 70's 6 million was considered such a huge amount, that only the govnt, could make the Six million dollar man.
Not to mention how Israel, like Egypt, is one of the very few ancient cultures still here. So why not compare them? And yes Israel got conquered...but they are still around. Most that were taken over were destroyed and gone...and yet they are still here. You can compare them to whomever you want, but that doesnt take away from their accomplishments...Namely The Great Temple, The Ark, spawned 2 of the world's biggest religions(Christianity and Islam)...ya your right...they didnt have much impact.

Top Bottom