Greater Europe - People of the Old World

I really like the idea of splitting Spain, Castille/Leon, Aragon, Navarra, and Cordoba should do the trick.

As for Castille some obvservations

Spoiler :
Leader: Isabella
UA: "Reconquista" Capturing cities of another religion generate +20 faith per follower. Cities with another religion present generate 25% less production.
UU: "Caballero" +3 combat strength +25% bonus near cities following another religion.
UU: "Spanish Inquistor" Replaces inquisitor, generates a gold sum when converting your cities. +1 use.

Going by the reconquista theme, I would get rid of the Spanish inquisitor as a UU, and instead make it part of the UA, which, I dont think needs a penalty, you would already be encouraged to tackle big cities and convert the population.

As for the Caballero, I like the idea, specially useful to take on religious rivals. But it sounds really generic. Perhaps instead you could use the Caballero Villano (commoneer knight) as they were very involved on the reconquista, as fighters and in repopulating the conquered countryside.

Thing is, Im not sure if they would fit as knight replacement, seeing as they were low ranking in comparison to actual knights, perhaps they could work better as a mounted pikemen replacement, (a mix unit sort of like the Tercio) which could keep useful promotions all the way to the lancer.

As for the remaining spot maybe a UB? seeing as Spain also has 2 UU's.

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I like the point about the inquisitor, taking all your points into consideration, I've changed it to this, however bits can be swapped with the old civ as needed.

UA: Gain +20 faith per enemy follower upon capturing a city, gain a gold sum upon converting cities, can only happen once per city.
UB: Caballero Villanero, Pikeman replacement, same combat strength and forgoes the +50% versus mounted for a flat +33% when adjacent to a city following a heathen religion, and the promotion 'mounted knight' giving +1 movement per turn and +25% versus melee units.
UB: Villa Fuero, Castle Replacement, in addition to the regular duties of the castle, provides +2 faith and production, if and only if there is only one religion in the city. Immediately provides +1 citizen upon its building. (A Villa is a Spanish town, and a Fuero is a law code bestowed upon a certain town by the Crown, during the reconquista, the primary purpose of these Fueros was to allow the village to repopulate the area with good, loyal Christians, and drive out the moors. This not only gave religious unity to the area, hence the faith and production bonus, but also allowed these towns to grow quickly, offering peasants the chance to colonise a new land in order to escape crushing feudalism back home.)

Villa Fuero is kind of a crappy name though, since it just means town charter, though other names are hard to come by. Foramontano Settlement/Castle/Town/Fuero works, but is a bit long. Terra Foris might be nicer, but technically refers to the land being repopulated, not the means of repopulating them.

I like the bonuses from the castle to represent the Fueros, nice touch. And it gives a good incentive to keep other religions from creeping in again. Tho I agree, Villa fuero sounds really weird, and just calling them Castillo is indeed, very generic (but it would make sense as this is Castille we are talking about).

However if this castle replacement is supposed to represent the Fueros, reconquista and conversion, it may make sense to name it Alcazar, they were originaly muslim fortresses that were after conquest, also used as palaces, no susprise here, as Al-Andalus architecture was incredible. The idea of the Alcazar then its of a palace/castle, to complete the reconquista.

I like the bonuses from the castle to represent the Fueros, nice touch. And it gives a good incentive to keep other religions from creeping in again. Tho I agree, Villa fuero sounds really weird, and just calling them Castillo is indeed, very generic (but it would make sense as this is Castille we are talking about).

However if this castle replacement is supposed to represent the Fueros, reconquista and conversion, it may make sense to name it Alcazar, they were originaly muslim fortresses that were after conquest, also used as palaces, no susprise here, as Al-Andalus architecture was incredible. The idea of the Alcazar then its of a palace/castle, to complete the reconquista.

Ah, alright, so keep the same bonuses and use the name Alcazar? So how about the Aragon and Navarre civ?

How about a Cordoba civ? I'm not sure the extent to which things are going to be split up, but the Muslims could probably do with a Almohad/Cordoba split more than the Christians need a Leon or Galician civ.

Navarra:
Leader: Sancho III
UA: Each Civilian Naval unit provides +1 culture. Coastal cities provide start with a source of Whales. Cargo Boats provide line of sight.
UU: Nau: Replaces Workboat. Provides +1 Production for the city when working a sea resource.
UB: Bullring: Replaces Amphiteater. +2 Happiness. +1 Culture and +1 Production for each source of Cattle worked by the city.

My first attempt at a Basque civ. I wanted to focus here in their extensive whaling culture since it made a great impact in them: They established vast trade networks throughout cities in Europe, colonized Newfoundland, there's some speculation that they actually got to Terra Nova before Columbus and of course Sebastian Elcano, first man to circumnavigate the world, came from these lands.
Problem is of course I didn't put much emphasis on their unique culture other than that and also the fact that the three abilities are somewhat disconnected.
For the Unique Building the Bullring seemed like an obvious choice, given the fact that here it's at it's strongest, turns out they aren't exclusively used for Bullfighting, so an Amphiteater replacement seems more than correct.
For the Unique unit I wanted to choose from one of the historical basque military units, there's many of course (Guías de Navarra, Tercios Vascongados, Chapelgorris, amongst others) but I ultimately decided for the whaling boat instead given the huge influence it had in their culture, I'm not sure if it's different enough from the regular Work Boat though.

Castile
Leader: Fernando III
UA: Repoblación: Defensive Buildings (Walls, Castles, etc...) increase rate of border expansion of your cities. Conquered cities lose less population and are instantly connected with the closest city.
UI: Cañada: Can only be built over Sheep. Cannot be Pillaged nor Replaced. Provides +1 Food, +1 Production and +1 Gold. After 10 turns it becomes a Cañada Real, doubling it's output.
UU: Lombarda: Replaces Cannon. Starts with medic promotion and may capture cities.

A much more odd approach, but very flavorful at that. Castilla, in case you didn't know, is named after the many castles built through it's territory, which were also very important in the process of the Reconquista, helping the defense of the newly gained territories. That's half of the UA. The second Half, which is actually why it's named the way it's named, is the actual Repoblamiento, which is the process through which the Spanish kings campaigned to bring settlers and farmers to the newly conquered lands to have rapid development of the territory, also establishing treaties with the Muslim and jewish people of the conquered lands for easier assimilation (Capitulación).
The UI is directly linked to Castilian culture, which inside Spain had a large emphasis on herding sheeps, important enough to have the focus of the king, ensuring that nobody could disturb their lands and creating special cañadas exclusively for them.
I admit I struggled coming up with a good UU, but the Lombarda seems to be a good fit, I based it mostly on the War of Granada, where the use of cannons became extensive, as they demostrated to be a good foil to Muslim fortresses, even if they required extensive logistics. This period also marked the first time field hospitals were used in Europe (according to my source) so I decided to throw that in.

OK, updates - Spain Split will probably go next, due to overwhelming popular demand. So, what I need:

-Art! COF has already done some fantastic stuff; I'm currently working on the art for the Basque civ (Navarre).
-Music! Due to the fact that I suck at finding good tracks, I need 'em.
-Pedias! I know close to nothing about Spain; I still really want to do it nonetheless, so I code, everyone else tells me what to code and then explains why.
-More code if anyone's up for it! I find I work faster when I'm provided with stuff anyway.

In other news, I've been tweaking the designs a bit more - firstly, though, I would like to thank everyone that contributed to the discussion; your ideas are pretty much all I've got going for the the civs so far. So, the focuses:

Aragon - Trade, Expansion
Castille - Conquest, Expansion, Religion
Navarre - Culture, trade (Believe me, there will be some complex mechanics in here)
Spain - Expansion (i.e. colonialism), Warfare

I'm still figuring out what to do for Leon and Catalonia; Leon, I have nothing on as far as I'm concerned, and I'm in the process of adding some fancy stuff to Hoop Thrower's Catalonia. Regalman's doing Cordoba as a collaboration (last time I checked), so I'll put that plan up later. Anything else I should add while I'm at it?

Not sure as with regards to the cities - I'm sure that a map base should help, though. Also, another idea, this time for Leon:

The Kingdom of Leon
Leader: Ordoño II
Capital: Leon
UA: Repoblación
Captured Cities have less population loss. May move Citizens to different cities for ten turns after a war, at the rate of one per turn.
UU: *Insert name here*
Replaces Longwordsman. Whenever a city has been conquered or founded, it receives a combat bonus. Provides a free courthouse when it captures a city.
UB: Pilgrim Hostel
Replaces Garden. +2 Gold for every citizen following the majority religion in the city. Increases citizen conversion rate to the majority religion by 50%.

Update time! Sorry for the double post, but given that nobody had posted in a while, I thought I might as well.

Great Moravia - still need help with the icon atlases. Also, if anyone has a new idea for the Togi Vodi, then I'm all ears, given I really don't know what's realistic to give it.

Spain Split - I've decided it's far too big to do in one pack, so I'll be releasing the civs individually. This hopefully means they're out faster and I can do more of them.

Healing upon killing an enemy only requires a promotion, so I should be able to do that. Thanks! As for the icons - I'd adjust the colours slightly on Castile, as it looks a bit too similar to Aragon (at least, I'm assuming that's Castile and Aragon) at the moment. Also, I really like the Basque one there. Anyway, thank you very much for the icons, as always!

What about red and yellow for Castile? As those are the colours of their flag. Since the Umayyads aren't using it now, anyway.

Top Bottom