Technologies

The classic example is Lysenkoism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism) but sooner or later happens in any dictatorship - because scientists are more concerned with staying alive rather than learning the truth, they don't rock the boat or announce anything that contradicts accepted wisdom. Since scientific breakthroughs come from the experiments that don't go as expected, their research stalls.

I agree this happens in places like Ceausescu's Romania, but not so much in places like China.

And this is a result of the type of government, so we could have dictatorial civics lower a country's scientific development, but it doesn't stem from a country transitioning from a repressive one to a democratic one.

I agree this happens in places like Ceausescu's Romania, but not so much in places like China.
Uh-huh...
The Cultural Revolution?

And this is a result of the type of government, so we could have dictatorial civics lower a country's scientific development, but it doesn't stem from a country transitioning from a repressive one to a democratic one.
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about the Anarchy shift.
A rule from management is that one re-organisation is worth three fires. Basically, everyone is focused on keeping their jobs, so has to play politics rather than actually buckling down and getting work done. And then people have to be retrained into a new way of requesting resources etc.
Sure, it stabilises pretty quickly, but hey the Anarchy shift is only one turn per Civic. And for a future mod, turns should continue to get shorter.

Big thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. For better or worse, this is where I drew most of the ideas for the current tech tree. :)

Should start in 1990, end of the cold war, and proceed at one month per turn through about 2050. The meat and potatoes of techs is what buildings and units and imps they allow. So, the question is really what building and unit capabilities are avaialble to included and what near future tech can they be rationalized to? Techs are just a path to what they earn. You can make up a tech name once you habve that. Maglev, Deuterium Fusion Plant, Tritium Fusion Plant, International Space Station Wonder, Moon Colony, HUD Warrior...

Sorry dude this is a present day mod. So; no 1990s, no future.

yes exactly; some 'already in development' type future, not sci fi stuff.

i think some areas that would be useful for today's technology is lasers, stemcell, cloneing, Different energy/resource for everything and more advanced military armor/protection. these are some ideas:)

Has anyone divided all the proposed techs into groups yet? I can't see that this has been done yet, but forgive me if I'm wrong and this isn't the way to go about this (I'm very new here). These groups could be long trees of technologies with some prequisites in other trees, how about:

Energy: How we get more energy, improve energy efficiency and reduce its impact (e.g. Solar Heating, Electric Car, Biofuels, Cellulosic fuels)

Environmental: How we protect, manage and improve the environment (very important tree (failure to research far ahead leads to escalating ecological problems for a Civ)) (e.g. Hydroponics, Ecology, Forest Management, Organic Farming)

Society: How the civs of the future manage to run their societies (particularly depends on technologies from other trees) (e.g. Consumerism, Structuralism)

Self-improvement: How humans will be able to self-improve themselves through technology (e.g. Bionics, Cybernetics, Genetic Engineering, Antipsychiatry)

Engineering: Encompasses military advancements and structural improvements (e.g. Super-strong alloys, Holographics, Nanotechnology)

Also a few new technologies that came to my mind (do we have to include quotes that have been made about the technologies recently, or can we fabricate some (ones that are reasonably 'far away') for fluidity?) which weren't included on the w2008ttechtree that I looked at and my reasoning behind adding them.

Nanobots - Tiny robots able to deliver medical improvements to the body and mend damage to cells. It is reasonably far away, however by 2050 I can see (with the rate of advancement in Nanotechnology) their implementation to some degree.
(Although it could fall under Miniaturisation I suppose, debatable for inclusion)
Allows: +1 Health w/ Advanced Hospital

Cellulosic Fuels - Part of a second-generation of biofuels, cellulosic fuels come from cellulose found in plant matter and could provide the energy for the future. Plants in America are rapidly advancing techniques in delivering cellulosic fuels, so it is entirely feesable it will be in use soon.
Allows: Obseletes Biofuels, provides Energy and (+1 Production (or Food) for Farms)

Sorry we should post in this thread I guess, the tech tree for version 1.0 is essentially finished. Good ideas though.

Sorry we should post in this thread I guess, the tech tree for version 1.0 is essentially finished. Good ideas though.

I'm curious. :D Can you post it here or are you afraid of the unavoidable change requests? :p But I guess everyone can accept that the tech tree for v1.0 is finished.

No, I'm fine with making changes. It's not perfect, and it will no doubt change over time. Although, I personally think we should leave it as is for at least the first stage of testing.

Download the mod from the SVN, it's in there! Should I post screenshots of it or something in this thread?

Oh right, don't feel you have to adapt it on my account, although I was hoping I could help with it! Do you need images for the technologies perhaps?

Here is the tech tree.

A few notes.

The idea behind this tree is;

for the modern era, to include techs that some countries have and others don't. For the future era, to only include techs that are being researched/developed and are likely to play a role over the next 50 years. Trying to figure out which techs will be realized first in reality is somewhat futile, so I essentially tried to focus on making a playable game. I got a lot (most?) of the ideas for techs from this thread, thanks guys.

-I tried to use the ideas in Maniac's guide to making a balanced tech tree. Most of the bonuses from techs still have to be worked out. We'll do this once we have all the buildings in the game, so we can see which techs still need to be strengthened/weakened to make it balanced.

-please give your input, we're open to corrections, changes, improvements, and additions. But, let's wait until we do some testing before we start with too many "move this here, that there, add this, remove this" advice. Let's see how it plays.

-No one make any changes to the tech tree without running them by myself or NikNaks first please. Everyone is working under the assumption that these will be the techs for the first release. Modders, don't update the SVN with any changes to the tech tree before consulting one of us please.

-remember we are building the present and the foreseeable near future. Not the future.

-I'll post the list tomorrow of which civs will start with which techs. Obviously less developed civs will still have to research some/all of the early techs. Developed civs will have as close to what they have in reality as possible. The USA will be the most advanced; the only one with stealth, G.P.S. (+EU), and moon landing. But some other civs will be closer to the Fuel Cell and Electric Car.

-FYI; Moon Landing is not supposed to lead to anything else, since at this point in time, landing on the moon is not a pre-requisite for any country getting any new technology. This one will be optional for civs, but it will provide a fairly good size culture and research bonus when you get it. You should probably have to build some sort of national wonder as well before getting the bonuses.

-I wanted to include at least a few different paths for players that have the potential for different advantages. Right off the bat, the idea is to choose between advancing your military technology, trying to race for the electric car, or going for the health advantages of stem cell research. We have to tweak it so none of these paths will be an AI trap. My thinking is, that the electric car tech will allow a world wonder (electric car factory), which will give 15 or so electric car resources that can be sold like any other resource. Same thing for Electric Mass Transport and possibly others.

-Strategic Missile Defense and SDI are different. The latter is like the patriot missile systems the US is developing. SDI is the space based ronald reagan star wars idea. The first requires a patriot missile system building in each city it protects, SDI takes a national wonder (like existing SDI). Both with have three levels of effectiveness using the existing code from one of the mods we have already merged in. Obviously SDI is much more effective, but even the US won't be able to get it built until 2040-50.

-Towards the end you'll notice the Future Combat System techs. These will most likely not be included in the first version, since we'll need totally unique art for at least 4-5 new units, that no one is working on yet (and we have a backlog of existing units we still need art for). Once we do get these in the game, the first civs to discover each tech and build a wonder (factory), will get licenses for each and become an arms dealer.

-The end should be a race as well, towards the Mars Landing or Sustainability. First to reach mars landing and build the wonder should get a large research bonus towards future techs (I think we should have three, one giving health bonusus (future medical tech), one giving income bonuses, and one giving unit hitpoint bonuses (or possibly unit healing bonuses). We will have to see how the AI will work with this before deciding for sure what to do at the end. The first to get to sustainability should get a large health bonus. Later in the game, not having sustainability should really hurt any cites' health. I wanted to have it so that if you don't get sustainability before a certain year (say 2045), you can never get it, and you're basically screwed as your cities shrink while others who have it are able to grow indefinitely. I don't think we'll be able to do it though. Shall see.

-Total identification is really the only civic related tech in there right now. This should allow for a more totalitarian/surveillance state type civic. No civ will start with this, but UK (NATO), USA, China and others will be close. The reason I included this and no other civic tech, is because this is the only civic related change I can foresee coming in the near future. Clearly some governments are moving towards using technology to totally track every citizen. This tech/civic(s) is supposed to represent the culmination of CCTV cameras, finger printing, wire tapping, RFID chips, etc. Bahmo please let me know if you need any other techs added to complete the civics.

*Updated with improved borders. Stealth and Electric Mass Transport (sustainable transport?) need slight tweaking. I think the rest are pretty much good to go.

Modern Era:

Spoiler :

...and

Spoiler :

Future Era:

Spoiler :

...and:

Spoiler :

Techs in the civilopedia:

Spoiler :

edit: I improved all the buttons. hope you guys like them.

...and forgive the ugly optimizing of the images above. Looks better in game.

looks grand to me!
may I suggest "sustainable transport" or some such instead of mass electric transport?
they say hudrogen fuel cells are the way forward for cars aswell

Top Bottom