Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

You can't use them properly though in a domination victory, the Hwach'a may be good with the Zeus and the Siege promotion, but other then that it is just a typical defensive unit, same goes for the Turtle Ship, except it is crippled to the point where it is unusable on most maps to a proper degree.

Just another Babylon, a defensive scientific Civ.

Defensive, scientific, yes. But on the opposite end of the tall-wide spectrum.

Again, it is just like Babylon in that regard. I was kind of looking forward to trashing the world as Korea, but that seems unlikely now. Science victories are to boring and easy, I'm not sure I'll be buying this DLC anymore. To bad, I was actually really excited about it at first. I'll stick to Babylon for my turtle-needs.

Defensive, scientific, yes. But on the opposite end of the tall-wide spectrum.

What do you mean by that?
I have often been 5th in empire population and 1st in literacy.

Again, it is just like Babylon in that regard. I was kind of looking forward to trashing the world as Korea, but that seems unlikely now. Science victories are to boring and easy, I'm not sure I'll be buying this DLC anymore. To bad, I was actually really excited about it at first. I'll stick to Babylon for my turtle-needs.

I think I am going to enjoy this.
Their UA makes them good competition for Babylon.
Their UUs in some sense are even worse than their replacements, but the UA is so good it makes up for everything.

The UA is better then Babylon IMHO, but I'm tired of defensive/scientific civs. Babylon and India are enough for me as far as turtling goes.

Good to see an ancient scenario then!
If you look at the scenario eras you get:
1) Mongol Conquests: Medieval
2) Colonization: Renaissance-ish
3) Paradise Found: Medieval-Renaissance
4) 1066 Year of Viking Destiny
5) Samurai Conquest.. something, something, something: Medieval-Renaissance
6) Wonders of the Ancient World: Ancient

We are missing some industrial, modern, and future scenarios.
Hopefully we will see some of those.

Hwacha being a land unit killer not a city destroyer is fine by me (That's what Hwacha is used for anyway, to kill land units), but Turtle ship not able to go into the deep ocean is a real blow...I rather have a weaker Turtle ship that can travel the deep ocean.

Hwacha being a land unit killer not a city destroyer is fine by me (That's what Hwacha is used for anyway, to kill land units), but Turtle ship not able to go into the deep ocean is a real blow...I rather have a weaker Turtle ship that can travel the deep ocean.

They should make it a trireme or frigate replacement, that would stop some complaining.

What do you mean by that?
I have often been 5th in empire population and 1st in literacy.

I think I am going to enjoy this.
Their UA makes them good competition for Babylon.
Their UUs in some sense are even worse than their replacements, but the UA is so good it makes up for everything.

I mean, to get the most of Babylon's abilities (great scientists) you want to settle a lot of cities. You maximize great scientist production by having more great scientist factories.

Korea's abilities seem more suited to generate a large amount of science with a smaller number of cities. GPP improvements, for example, should be concentrated in 1 city with the best multiplier.

I mean, to get the most of Babylon's abilities (great scientists) you want to settle a lot of cities. You maximize great scientist production by having more great scientist factories.

Korea's abilities seem more suited to generate a large amount of science with a smaller number of cities. GPP improvements, for example, should be concentrated in 1 city with the best multiplier.

Well,if you do some math,you will see that academies are best in Ancient era and maybe classical,but it is better to save them up for free techs in the later eras.

IMHO:
I am a diehard Civ player since II, I love the game and go to far lengths to get the most out of it, but this is just totally lame, selling us game features piecemeal like this. If a new civilization was included I could understand it, maybe, but to sell wonders is just greedy and low. What's next, forests and rivers available only as dlc?

The UA is better then Babylon IMHO, but I'm tired of defensive/scientific civs. Babylon and India are enough for me as far as turtling goes.

I think we need some more scientific/defensive civs.
We have Russia, Rome, Denmark, Songhai on the more expansive side of the spectrum.
Then we have Germany, France, Aztec all on the violent side of the spectrum.

I apologize then ShahjahanII, I'm just a bit bummed out and am acting over-dramatic.

- I agree Dokebi, the trebuchet replacement is okay with the right promotions and can be put to good use with taking cities as well as defending, but the Turtle Ship is a huge let down. I was shooting for a frigate replacement with a lot more defensive strength then a regular frigate and slightly higher combat damage, although that would have been a bit OP.

I apologize then ShahjahanII, I'm just a bit bummed out and am acting over-dramatic.

- I agree Dokebi, the trebuchet replacement is okay with the right promotions and can be put to good use with taking cities as well as defending, but the Turtle Ship is a huge let down. I was shooting for a frigate replacement with a lot more defensive strength then a regular frigate and slightly higher combat damage, although that would have been a bit OP.

Apology accepted :goodjob:
And welcome to the forums!
And please remember, there is always a modder out there that can modify Korea to be whatever the community wants.

I dunno, I think it's pretty cool the Turtle Ship replaces the caravel. Kinda fits the whole Hermit Kingdom conceit, since intercontinental expansion's that much delayed.

I dunno, I think it's pretty cool the Turtle Ship replaces the caravel. Kinda fits the whole Hermit Kingdom conceit, since intercontinental expansion's that much delayed.

An excellent point.
Maybe it is meant to discourage over-expansion.

Now for another question.
What is the Sejong AI going to be like?
Prefers wide or tall?
Violent, peaceful or in the middle?
Naval, militaristic,or otherwise?
Diplomatically friendly, or shrewd?

Well,if you do some math,you will see that academies are best in Ancient era and maybe classical,but it is better to save them up for free techs in the later eras.

Huh? While true, I don't see how this is relevant. I was trying to say that as Babylon, you are better off going wide, whereas Korea may be better suited for a tall style or OCC game even. All of the abilities for Korea seem to be for small empires, not just the settled great scientists. I suspect we will need to redo the math for them anways.

Of course this is just guessing from reading the notes. We'll see how they play out.

Top Bottom