Do nuclear missiles destroy nuclear missiles stored in a city?

LoneRebel

Emperor
As the title says, does a nuclear missile strike destroy nuclear missiles being kept in a city? (without destroying the city itself)

Does it destroy planes in a city? Does it destroy all garrisoned units? And does it only take one missile to destroy every unit in the blast radius, including units in cities?

Yes, they are massively OP. And without interception and in a turn-based world, there is no mutually-assured destruction. Whoever strikes first wins, provided he has enough of the things. I personally don't like them. :-/ I usually get nukes outlawed. It was better back when using nukes had huge international consequences and would result in you being the world's target...now it only seems the civ you nuke gets a special modifier other than the normal warmongering one...which doesn't matter because you're crushing them.

It's like: "oh, you spent the whole game making that nice city and garrisoning it? Okay...I built 1 nuclear missle in 8 turns...say goodbye to your millennia of work." ;-)

Not that this has happened to me with AI...but if we ever get somewhat intelligent AI I am expecting many players will complain about the power of nukes. Players have been abusing them in reverse to upset runaway AI for years...I'm gonna laugh my head off when the AI figure out how to use them and start doing the same thing to every human as you're about to win. Personally, I think if you have to launch a nuclear attack on the core to stop an AI from winning they've won fair and square.

Yeah, nuclear warfare here seems to come down to knowing where your enemy's nukes are and nuking that city first, doesn't it.

I asked the question in this thread because in my game I just saw Russia stack seven nuclear missiles in St. Petersburg. Actually, it's the Earth 2014 scenario. :mischief:

Yeah, nuclear warfare here seems to come down to knowing where your enemy's nukes are and nuking that city first, doesn't it.

I asked the question in this thread because in my game I just saw Russia stack seven nuclear missiles in St. Petersburg. Actually, it's the Earth 2014 scenario. :mischief:

yeah, I had a game where I spain stacked 2-3 in a harbor city. They seemed unwilling to use them on my ships though as they were really spread out and seemed content to watch me bombard and take the city...thereby destroying them all. AI has no clue how to use nukes effectively in my experience.

yeah, I had a game where I spain stacked 2-3 in a harbor city. They seemed unwilling to use them on my ships though as they were really spread out and seemed content to watch me bombard and take the city...thereby destroying them all. AI has no clue how to use nukes effectively in my experience.

I've been studying the AI's usage of nukes in that game I mentioned. And it seems, as far as I can tell, that the AI will only use nukes on cities. So your units are completely safe if you don't have a city nearby.

In addition, it seems the AI will not use nukes if there is even one tile of their territory or the territory of a third party that they're not at war with within the blast radius. In that game, China did not use their nukes on me during my invasion, even though my American armies had already overrun China's populous coastal cities (after nuking the heck out of them first) and were pushing inland. Probably because those occupied cities all had Chinese territory or Japanese or Korean or CS territory within two tiles of them. It was only when I captured Beijing, which did have two tiles of its own territory out in every direction, that China decided to use its nukes, on its former capital. Twice.

interesting. Well hitting a city is pretty devastating...that's funny that they nuke their own cities though...lol. Seems like that should more be a last-ditch effort if you were sure of defeat without them.

Still, cities aren't what nukes work best against...it's units as they destroy them instantaneously and across a wide area. Sure the missiles cost 1000, but by the time you're building them you've at least got 150 hammers/turn. So you're only waiting 6-7 turns between and much more likely waiting 4-5 in my experience. They're much more effective if you keep using them and building more. Kill way more hammers-worth of troops then they cost. Not to mention you're wiping out the highly-upgrading troops first. I think they're pretty useful...not arguing that...just way unbalanced since the AI can't seem to understand how to use them properly. we'd be doomed on Deity if they did know though...seeing as how most humans can't support the same massive armies and rely on a strong elite force. I guess experienced warmongers would be the exception, but I'm not terribly experienced with this having only won 1 conquest game and that ended before oil. (Zulu, wiped everyone out with Riflemen and early industrial--7 civs total) I'm sure the game changes a lot with modern technologies.

Top Bottom