PolyCast Episode 127: "Lot of Resetting Still"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Just when you thought you had it all figured out. The one-hundred-and-twenty-seventh episode of PolyCast, "Lot of Resetting Still", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew with returning guest co-host Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney and first-time guest co-hosts Martin "Martin Alvito" Alvito and Alexander "nthexwn" Johnson; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m08s | News
On the August 2011 patch for Civilization V being just released, and on the game's new Downloadable Content (DLC) in the form of Korea and "Wonders of the Ancient World" (23m17s).
- 44m53s | Open Mic
Responding to an email on the challenges of carrying out Succession Games (SGs) for CivV as compared to CivIV or CivIII, and then a call-in to discuss the DLC competition in writing CivV strategy articles (55m28s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Merchandizing for the Civilization franchise, and reaction to an omission.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

If you observe some notable differences in audio quality for the worse in this episode, as compared to most of our others, it is because I had to rely on our backup recording as the primary recording software failed (already corrected for the next episode, however). In addition, one of our guests had low volume intake for part of the show, and I've boosted it as much as I've deemed reasonably possible.

I found the show through this forum

I've been listening on and off for 2 years maybe? I used to listen back when I played a lot of Civ IV, took a break, started listening again when I started playing Civ V

I always listen to podcasts when playing Civ/Starcraft and I prefer to listen to podcasts related to the games I'm playing.

If you observe some notable differences in audio quality for the worse in this episode, as compared to most of our others, it is because I had to rely on our backup recording as the primary recording software failed (already corrected for the next episode, however). In addition, one of our guests had low volume intake for part of the show, and I've boosted it as much as I've deemed reasonably possible.

Nice job on the audio - I can hear how some of the early portions must have been a nightmare to clarify. :)

Keep them coming. :goodjob:

Great podcast, been listening for a little while now.

I thought i heard someone on the last show saying they have a multiplayer lets play series (or something along those lines)?

Could any one link me to the videos plz?

I found the show through this forum

I've been listening on and off for 2 years maybe? I used to listen back when I played a lot of Civ IV, took a break, started listening again when I started playing Civ V

I always listen to podcasts when playing Civ/Starcraft and I prefer to listen to podcasts related to the games I'm playing.
:cool:... I'm glad that you were pleased enough with the show when you were playing CivIV that, after your break from the game and came to V, you came back to the show too.

Nice job on the audio - I can hear how some of the early portions must have been a nightmare to clarify. :)

Keep them coming. :goodjob:
Thanks, Markus. :) Though the technical difficulties were frustrating, they pale in comparison to an even greater difficulty: if there had not been the backup recording when the primary software failed. :scared:

Great podcast, been listening for a little while now.
Thank you for your continued listening and voicing your support as well :king:. Did you come across the show first here on CFC too or..?

I thought i heard someone on the last show saying they have a multiplayer lets play series (or something along those lines)?

Could any one link me to the videos plz?
No series of multiplayer CivV "Let's Plays" are available to my knowledge, but there is one to date -- from MadDjinn. You can find it archived by following this link.

You guys brought up a great point about the low online profile of Civ 5.

Civ 4 forums were/are way more active. Could it be because people aren't playing Civ 5? Or is it just because the more active community members haven't switched, and their community contributions are what result in high forum activity?

I remember there used to be a guy in Civ 4 who played a game with every leader and civilization. He would play only a few turns at a time, and each game, he would post updates and screenshots to let people know how he was doing. Those threads were very informative because he would also explain the reasoning behind each decision he made, and the community could get involved by asking him why he did things or giving their input on a tricky situation. Those threads also attracted a lot of attention and always grew to be quite large in post count, and were highly active threads.

There isn't anything like that for Civ 5 is there? I haven't noticed it if there is.

You guys brought up a great point about the low online profile of Civ 5.

Civ 4 forums were/are way more active. Could it be because people aren't playing Civ 5? Or is it just because the more active community members haven't switched, and their community contributions are what result in high forum activity?

I remember there used to be a guy in Civ 4 who played a game with every leader and civilization. He would play only a few turns at a time, and each game, he would post updates and screenshots to let people know how he was doing. Those threads were very informative because he would also explain the reasoning behind each decision he made, and the community could get involved by asking him why he did things or giving their input on a tricky situation. Those threads also attracted a lot of attention and always grew to be quite large in post count, and were highly active threads.

There isn't anything like that for Civ 5 is there? I haven't noticed it if there is.

I think it just boils down to veteran/hardcore players of CIV IV being under the impression that CIV V is too streamlined compared to CIV IV. These were the players that grew up with the series and generally adapted to each new iteration of Civ when it came out. For some reason that didn't fully happen with CIV V, and this can be seen in the dead forum sections for CIV V on various sites throughout the internet: Realms Beyond / WePlayCiv / Apolyton - and to a much lesser extent, CivFanatics - combined with the evidence of the still active CIV IV forums on these sites.

(To be fair, the abundance of mods in CIV IV, (and the lack of functioning multiplayer w/mods in CIV V), also plays a role in CIV IV's ongoing popularity).

Of course everyone might just be playing the game and not have the time to post.

I thought Civ V modding was easier and more easily accessible due to the in-game mod browser.

Multiplayer does sound broken, but I thought that Civ players mostly played solo, so it doesn't seem like it would explain the lack of forum activity.

I just listened on the way to work first 10 minutes. I really like the cast. Started listening about 2 years ago when I got into Civ4. I always search my interests on iTunes as I listen to podcasts a lot, but I think I may have also seen an advert on apolyton.

@HamTard - I haven't listened to the relevent section yet but I believe youa re talking about the Succession Games and Stories and Tales communities which were thriving in Civ4. In civ5 they are much less but I think a lot of people are just not aware of them. Civ5 has a decent playerbase but I think a lot of them new, Steam reached a new demographic with it's sales maybe. That being said we just finished a good Succession game and we are going to do another one and we always want new players. I think reading through the Von Münchausen SG could be interesting to some.

There's also the Game of the Month subforum which I think deserves a lot more attention as people get to know it more. Well we can only hope, Civ4 had an excellent scene in these things it's true. But to be fair, Civ5 has only been around in a well playable state for a few months.

Here is the subforum for succession games.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408

I listen PolyCast while working out at gym, others there probably think I'm blasting some rock inside my headphones but instead it's people talkin about National College starts and early rushes.

I agree that the patch of august really made multiplayer better, playable and the patch did some good fixes in general.. Its going the right way..

Only thing that bothers me with the patch is that it didn't fixed diplomacy issues like random declerations of war random denounciations and so on... I found it strange you didn't said this on the polycast

But thats maybe just my oppinion that diplomacy need a fix

For some of this, it's the Video LPs taking up the slack. I'm eventually going to get through all civs, but everytime they do major patch changes, my really 'old' game (from March!!) are no longer useful in the current game. (except for basic things) Such as the French game that's up there. It's now very very old, patch wise.

The Poly crew can't list of everything that didn't get fixed every patch ;) It'd take too long. :crazyeye:

Civ 4 forums were/are way more active. Could it be because people aren't playing Civ 5?
The exodus went from civ5 to civworld and continued.
The civ series is dying. No doubt. Two failures is too much.
When the discussion is about civ4 versus civ5 in civworld, civ4 wins clearly.

There are a lot of reasons why players of the older civ versions don't like civ5.
This is one of the main problems I have with civ5 :

DanQ in this episode : "We think we know about the game ... and then there's a patch"
Changing the game rules every 2 months is very bad.

"Changing the game rules every 2 months is very bad."

In your opinion.
I always love the patches, new trhings to try.

Civ4 is still a bit better, and annoying things missing from CIV5 i liked in CIV 4 but i love 1up and several other people like it.

I also have performance problems with civ 5 a supercomputer could not handle a huge deity map normally, thats a same.

Of course everyone might just be playing [CivV] and not have the time to post.
:D

I thought Civ V modding was easier and more easily accessible due to the in-game mod browser.
I'll use this opportunity as a cross promotion for sibling podcast ModCast, which is now covering CivV as well as CivIV modding.

Multiplayer does sound broken...
There are still issues with it to be addressed, but this latest patch has done some considerable good as "apocalypse105" made reference to after your post but before mine here.

I just listened on the way to work first 10 minutes. I really like the cast. Started listening about 2 years ago when I got into Civ4. I always search my interests on iTunes as I listen to podcasts a lot, but I think I may have also seen an advert on apolyton.
That you're still listening after first finding us a couple of years ago is :cool:... we haven't scared you away (yet ;)).

@HamTard - I haven't listened to the relevent section yet but I believe youa re talking about the Succession Games and Stories and Tales communities which were thriving in Civ4.
It is the former that we discuss in focus on this episode.

I listen PolyCast while working out at gym, others there probably think I'm blasting some rock inside my headphones but instead it's people talkin about National College starts and early rushes.
Nice. :D

As has arguably become a common inquiry of mine for first-time commenters (that I'm aware of), how long have you been listening to the show and how did you first come across it?

Only thing that bothers me with the patch is that it didn't fixed diplomacy issues like random declerations of war random denounciations and so on... I found it strange you didn't said this on the polycast

The Poly crew can't list of everything that didn't get fixed every patch ;) It'd take too long. :crazyeye:
In combining both of these points, we discussed CivV diplomacy in some depth on our most previous episode. (In fact, I just realized that I hadn't responded to your follow-up there, apoc, so have now done so.)

Civ4 is still a bit better, and annoying things missing from CIV5 i liked in CIV 4 but i love 1up and several other people like it.
Oh yes, like what re: "missing" from CivV but are in IV?

I also have performance problems with civ 5 a supercomputer could not handle a huge deity map normally, thats a same.
I expect that would be the case regardless of difficulty level too. Am I correct in my presumption that you're referring to as of Medieval/Renaissance, though possibly not until into the Industrial, Era?

On PolyCast in general, how long have you been listening and how did you find the show? (Pardon if my assumption that you're a listener is incorrect, for you may not be based on your post.)

Did Firaxis ever release hard numbers about much Civ IV and Civ V have sold?

Were most of the Civ IV sales front loaded or spread out over time and higher when the price dropped, and how does that compare to Civ V?

The exodus went from civ5 to civworld and continued.
The civ series is dying. No doubt. Two failures is too much.
When the discussion is about civ4 versus civ5 in civworld, civ4 wins clearly.

There are a lot of reasons why players of the older civ versions don't like civ5.
This is one of the main problems I have with civ5 :

Changing the game rules every 2 months is very bad.

Civ V has two major problems to me:

1. It runs very slowly
2. Its user interface remains a joke.

Probably, the bigger turnoffs for many players is that it had 0 viable competitive options for nearly a year and that it was released in a beta state where beta-level changes are constantly made. These things crippled it, and while it can still be fun the game was badly damaged by the fact that it was released before being finished even worse than civ IV...entire components of gameplay didn't work! Now, they're starting to work a little. Is there still hope? I have no idea.

Top Bottom