[Map Script] PerfectWorld2.py

Yes, expansion room and it's value are the main criteria for boosting. If you get a ton of sweetening like this it's because you are tucked into an isolated corner. Conversely, if your expansion area (likely city locations that are closer to you than anyone else on the same continent) is highly valuable you would get nothing, even if your starting location has no resources. However, I have found that lots of resources tends to signal a more difficult game.

However, you would always get a bonus for your difficulty level. On Prince that defaults to 1 resource. This is a new feature starting with 2.04.

Ok, this makes sense based on what I saw in that game as India with only one grasshorse...

I personally think the minimum should be at least one FOOD resource... ideally you should get a minimum of two resources... one food and maybe something else... otherwise you would could be in the position of settling in-place and the capital takes a rather long time to grow. This cripples your expansion and effectively gives it to the AIs.

Ok, this makes sense based on what I saw in that game as India with only one grasshorse...

I personally think the minimum should be at least one FOOD resource... ideally you should get a minimum of two resources... one food and maybe something else... otherwise you would could be in the position of settling in-place and the capital takes a rather long time to grow. This cripples your expansion and effectively gives it to the AIs.

Actually horses are set in the XML not to be used for normalization. On prince level you should get one of something else in addition to the horse.

Actually horses are set in the XML not to be used for normalization. On prince level you should get one of something else in addition to the horse.

That's interesting... but the point is still that I had a city on prince that was barely growing... and by settling in-place, I didn't have any other resources besides horses in the cross. There was iron if I moved 1 square north, but you don't know that in 4000bc. I still would say we need to insist on at least one food for possible starts.

Anyone knows how to edit a perfect world, that is not comprised of so many mountains, only instead of being, comprised of the hill.

Anyone knows how to edit a perfect world, that is not comprised of so many mountains, only instead of being, comprised of the hill.

Go to the script and set all mountain-related factors to 0.

Act as self.HillPercent, self.HillChanceAtOne, self.PeakChanceAtOne all at 0 is no longer on the many mountains, but it is very little hills.

Act as self.HillPercent, self.HillChanceAtOne, self.PeakChanceAtOne all at 0 is no longer on the many mountains, but it is very little hills.

If you want hills, then leave the 'hill' variables the way they were, and only adjust the 'peak' variables to zero. There should be PeakPercent and PeakChanceAtOne.

This script (along with many others) is being used in RevolutionDCM, because it is awesome :king:

I have noticed a minor issue though. If this script (or any other non default firaxis script) is selected by the user it is recorded on the BtS main config file. This causes a problem if the user then decides to play a game using default BtS; since the scripts are in the mod's folder, BtS starts tripping out when it reads something it doesn't think exists in it's config. So the user is then treated to about a dozen error messages. Now there is no actual problem with the game, but for users that don't understand computers well this is probably a bit unsettling and may cause them to think there is a problem with the mod (when there is not).

To get around this I was going to update the install script so that the new scrips would be installed into the My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps, I assumed this would solve the issue. But in the instructions you clearly state this:
To use this map, put it in your Civilization 4\PublicMaps folder, not in your My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\PublicMaps folder.
Why is this, what is wrong with doing things this way? I am loath to install files directly into a user's main Civ4 directory (and this is why the My Documents path directory exists in the first place, for us modders to be able to use without needing to effect the core game's files). What, if any, problem can occur if I set up my installer to drop the map scripts in the My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps, and keep in mind I do not care if the user has access to the script for Warlords or Vanilla; the user just needs to have access to the scrip in BtS, and then only so that they don't receive these error messages.

This script (along with many others) is being used in RevolutionDCM, because it is awesome :king:

I have noticed a minor issue though. If this script (or any other non default firaxis script) is selected by the user it is recorded on the BtS main config file. This causes a problem if the user then decides to play a game using default BtS; since the scripts are in the mod's folder, BtS starts tripping out when it reads something it doesn't think exists in it's config. So the user is then treated to about a dozen error messages. Now there is no actual problem with the game, but for users that don't understand computers well this is probably a bit unsettling and may cause them to think there is a problem with the mod (when there is not).

To get around this I was going to update the install script so that the new scrips would be installed into the My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps, I assumed this would solve the issue. But in the instructions you clearly state this:

Why is this, what is wrong with doing things this way? I am loath to install files directly into a user's main Civ4 directory (and this is why the My Documents path directory exists in the first place, for us modders to be able to use without needing to effect the core game's files). What, if any, problem can occur if I set up my installer to drop the map scripts in the My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps, and keep in mind I do not care if the user has access to the script for Warlords or Vanilla; the user just needs to have access to the scrip in BtS, and then only so that they don't receive these error messages.

Actually those instructions I gave are outdated. As far as I know, it should be fine to place in the MyDocuments. When BtS first came out it wouldn't work.

I know what you mean, if the last game you played was in a different mod and the map script was in that mods publicmaps and not the main publicmaps, you get all kinds of greif. I never knew what to do about it.

I doubt that, as the problem is that when the game generates a new map it stores the settings used in the custom start up menu in the Civ4 config file; I doubt it checks to see where the mapscript comes from. And putting them in the user's custom maps is the simplest solution, and also will enable the user to play the new BtS map scripts in regular BtS games without altering the user's core files.

This might be a random occurance, or maybe this is just the way it was programmed, but so far I think the maps on the first version of Perfect World were a bit better, at least more interesting. There are hardly any islands (as opposed to what I consider a continent) in the second version, which I suppose is fine for a lot of people, but I enjoyed the variety of islands in the first version.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this script either, but most of the time I play there are hardly any horses on the map at all. I have been playtesting my mod so I know how many games I have played and generally what happened in them. Out of the last five games, in four of them there were no horses on my continent. In one of them there was, but there was only one horse resource on my continent and there were four civs there. Now granted, I have only been playing with five civs at a time on small maps (because its easier to test), but I was just wondering if this was part of PW2 or if it is coded into the regular game.

Despite those two complaints, PW is the only map I ever use. :goodjob:

This might be a random occurance, or maybe this is just the way it was programmed, but so far I think the maps on the first version of Perfect World were a bit better, at least more interesting. There are hardly any islands (as opposed to what I consider a continent) in the second version, which I suppose is fine for a lot of people, but I enjoyed the variety of islands in the first version.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this script either, but most of the time I play there are hardly any horses on the map at all. I have been playtesting my mod so I know how many games I have played and generally what happened in them. Out of the last five games, in four of them there were no horses on my continent. In one of them there was, but there was only one horse resource on my continent and there were four civs there. Now granted, I have only been playing with five civs at a time on small maps (because its easier to test), but I was just wondering if this was part of PW2 or if it is coded into the regular game.

Despite those two complaints, PW is the only map I ever use. :goodjob:

You might check out the tunable options toward the beginning of the script. Theres alot of tweaks you can use to give the map a different feel. For example, if you turn down the land percentage you will get more water, but also more room for wilder, more random looking landforms. Coming out of PW1, I beefed up the continents in PW2 because at the time I was kinda sick of the stringy continents from PW1.

I try to follow the rules in the XML for bonus resources, although my implimentation is somewhat different to prevent crowding and so forth. You may be seeing a problem with horses if you use the 'new world' map option which is the default. A set number of horses is placed randomly all over the world, and if a bunch of them end up in the new world, they are basically wasted because they are almost obsolete by the time the new world is settled. I always thought of it as a valid 'what if' scenario.

I would like to make it so that no useless tiles are in a starting big fat cross. I am unfamiliar with map script code, but am pretty familiar with python, at least python in Civ4. Where in the script could I add sweatner code to say, change Mountains to Hills if in the Big Fat Cross of a starting settler? Could you give an example of the code?

I don't want to disallow otherwise valid starting locations because there is a peak there. What I'd like to do is convert peaks to hills (and arctic to plains), in the fat cross of a selected starting location.

Look in boostCityPlotValue perhaps? That's where the script adds bonuses to increase a starting location. I guess it would be easy to make a quick check around the x,y of the city to turn every tundra to plain and peak to hill.

Cephalo will correct me if I'm wrong :p

I don't want to disallow otherwise valid starting locations because there is a peak there. What I'd like to do is convert peaks to hills (and arctic to plains), in the fat cross of a selected starting location.

Starting plots are selected purely by value. Then it decides if there are too many mountains and then flattens them in random order. So really the value can only go up.

I kinda like a few peaks near the FC, because I think it adds character to the city. The default routine actually flattens peaks in a huge radius. It was really messing with the map aesthetics before I figured that out.

Top Bottom