Workers

Dooley05

Chieftain
Does anyone know why they left out workers in this one? Maybe to much micro-management for a console? A faster style of game play?

You still have micro-management from the perspective of which terrain tiles are being worked on. What is lacking are the terrain upgrades (automatic with the specific buildings, or roads).

And yes, this was a design decision in line with the overall streamlining of Civ Rev compared to the PC versions.

Does anyone know why they left out workers in this one? Maybe to much micro-management for a console? A faster style of game play?

I suspect that you already knew the answer to this. Yes the game is now more streamlined......in fact it now only takes me under two hours to "suffer a humiliating defeat" as opposed to nineteen hours and twenty four minutes as it did when I last played C3........:lol:

I'd suspect they removed that feature (as well as the classic way of having the settler do all the work) to make it more simple and streamlined.

Not to mention a game that last only a couple of hours instead of days.

You do still have workers and they are a very important part of the game. Each city has one worker per population. Managing your workers is crucial in the early game and important all game long.

The difference is they aren't units you produce. You just automatically have them at 1 per city pop and they can't be killed, only displaced (if an enemy unit enters the tile a worker is using, the worker will find a new tile or become a city worker). I think a big part of the reason for this is CivRev has, by design, no automation of units. Imagine having a modest number of cities (8-10) each with several workers that have to receive orders every turn! Suddenly CivRev is no longer a two-hour game.

I think the worker system in CivRev is pretty nice. As a noob, you can just ignore workers entirely and do fine on the eaiser levels. As you develop your skills, you'll come to see how powerful it is to manage your workers and direct your efforts toward the task at hand instead of just being balanced and kind of blah at everything.

Actually, your citizens do not have to work land. With 1-5 citizens, any not working land produce 1 hammer. With 6-10 citizens each one not working a tile produces 1 hammer and 1 arrow. As you cities get bigger, non-assigned workers get better. The one thing they do not do is produce any food. Ever. This is the secret which underlies the Super City Strategy. If you have 20+ people in one city, each one is far more productive than any ordinary land space and better than most resource tiles. On top of that, with one super city, you only need one market, one temple and so on. It is also the reason why this game makes food the most important resource by far. It is the only resource which cannot be produced in copious amounts by the "unemployed."

Top Bottom