Clans of the Morindim

whoward69

DLL Minion
The Clans of the Morindim - Spirits of Earth, Sky and Water
  • UA: Extra land, Special Religion and River Connections
  • UB: Totem Pole (replaces Shrine) and Totems
  • UI: Spirit Markers (can only be built by Clan Mystics)
  • Clan Units: Elder (Inquisitor), Mystic (Missionary), Magician (Prophet)
  • Spirit Units: Spirit Warriors (raised from Spirit Markers), Great Spirits (summoned by Clan Magicians)

See the Civilopedia entry (below) for full details

See post #2 for download details

Beta version
Currently NOT playable as an AI civ

Dawn of Man
Spoiler :

Image courtesy of Rob (R8XFT)

Spirit Affinity
Spoiler :
Build a Totem Pole (Shrine replacement) and pick which Great Spirit to dedicate it to

Clan Magicians (Prophet replacement) have an affinity with one of the three Great Spirits, but only for those with associated Totem Poles

Clan Magicians can summon their associated Great Spirit

which is not good news for the Clans' enemies!

Civilopedia
Spoiler :

Requirements, Compatibility and Conflicts
Spoiler :

Requires:

Incompatible with:
  • Units - Steampunk Airships (any version)
  • Any mod with it's own DLL

Conflicts with:
  • Any mod that modifies WorldView
  • Any mod that modifies UniqueBonuses
  • Any mod that modifies TechTree (including "Unique Building - Basilica)
  • Any mod that modifies CivilopediaScreen (including "Unique Building - Basilica)
  • Any mod that modifies EnemyUnitPanel or UnitPanel (including "UI - Condensed Promotions")
(conflicting files may be removed for loss of UI enhancements without loss of functionallity - see the ReadMe.txt file in UI/Patches)

Attachments

• MorindimDoM.jpg
    MorindimDoM.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 3,247
  • MorindimPedia1.png
    MorindimPedia1.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 2,985
  • MorindimPedia2.png
    MorindimPedia2.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 2,863
  • MorindimPedia3.png
    MorindimPedia3.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 2,856
  • MorindimPedia4.png
    MorindimPedia4.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 2,834
  • MorindinMagicianSummon.png
    MorindinMagicianSummon.png
    366.9 KB · Views: 2,982
  • MorindimMagicianAffinity.png
    MorindimMagicianAffinity.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 2,978
  • MorindimTotemAffinity.png
    MorindimTotemAffinity.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 2,962
  • MorindimGreatEarthSpirit.jpg
    MorindimGreatEarthSpirit.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,958
Based very loosely on the Morindim from "The Belgariad" - which have a whole twelve pages in book five! (pp88-99 in my copy)

I'm still looking for better artwork, if anyone wants to improve on the building/improvement/unit/etc graphic icons and promotion/build/mission/etc symbol icons.

Must have required a hell of a lot of code. :)

You're not wrong there! In addition to all the Lua in the mod, this is the list of features needed in the DLL

Spoiler :
Code:
-- Bug fixes
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='BUGFIX_MOVE_AFTER_PURCHASE';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='BUGFIX_UNITCLASS_NOT_UNIT';

-- API extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='API_EXTENSIONS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='API_LUA_EXTENSIONS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='API_RELIGION';
-- API_PLOT_BASED_DAMAGE by dependancy on "Promotions - Terrain Crossing"

-- Event extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_CAN_MOVE_INTO';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_CITY';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_CITY_CONNECTIONS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_COMMAND';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_CUSTOM_MISSIONS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_GOODY_CHOICE';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_NEW_ERA';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_RELIGION';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_TERRAFORMING';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_TILE_IMPROVEMENTS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_UNIT_CAPTURE';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_UNIT_CREATED';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_UNIT_PREKILL';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='EVENTS_UNIT_UPGRADES';

-- Trait extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='TRAITS_ANY_BELIEF';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='TRAITS_PANTHEON_IS_RELIGION';

-- Building extensions
-- ShowInPedia and ShowInTechTree in individual files

-- Unit extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='GLOBAL_CANNOT_EMBARK';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='GLOBAL_EXCLUDE_FROM_GIFTS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='GLOBAL_MOVE_AFTER_UPGRADE';

-- Promotion extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='PROMOTIONS_IMPROVEMENT_BONUS';
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='PROMOTIONS_UNIT_NAMING';

-- Unit extensions
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='UNITS_HOVERING_COASTAL_ATTACKS'; 
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value=1 WHERE Name='UNITS_HOVERING_LAND_ONLY_HEAL';

Based very loosely on the Morindim from "The Belgariad" - which have a whole twelve pages in book five! (pp88-99 in my copy)

I remember those guys!

This actually looks like a really cool mod... I've been trying to work on some more "supernatural" civilizations lately, with some ideas similar to what you've implemented here... I'm not sure how much I could pull off without DLL mods, though. X3

with some ideas similar to what you've implemented here... I'm not sure how much I could pull off without DLL mods, though

Unfortunately, probably very little if anything. Religious unit replacements give the biggest problems due to Firaxis' insistence on using unit types (UNIT_PROPHET) and not unit classes (UNITCLASS_PROPHET) throughout the DLL. Even simple requirements like "can only spread to own cities from own lands" are incredibly complex in Lua or can only be done with extensive UI changes (which then just delays the issue when you come to do an AI playable version of the civ)

The Mod God of Civilization 5 descends from the Heavens to give us a custom Civ!

Looks amazing; I'll give this one a shot even though I've never seen the word "Belgariad" in my life until now. I'll have to look at the Lua when I'm at my own computer and see how to merge it with my own mods (which, incidentally, use a modified version of your old G&K UnitPanel which allows for custom actions).

Speaking of which, are the custom actions for the Magicians handled entirely through Lua, or have you added their functionality into Various Mod Components? I'm assuming that since you've disabled this Civ from being played by an AI, it's the former.

This is giving me warm fuzzies, the Belgariad books have been in my house since before I was born and were part of my drive to learn to read after kindergarden. I like the spirit focus you gave them, it suits them very well.

Wow, this looks good. Will there be unique unit icons?

Version 2 has been uploaded to my web site (see links in post #2) - it requires V48 (or later) of the DLL and is incompatible with version 1 (so finish any games first!)

The Morindim's cult is now implemented as a local religion (ie cannot spread beyond the clans) and not as an enhanced pantheon.

The Clan Council (replaces Courthouse) converts a captured city into a clan. Clan Councils cannot be bought/sold but they can be rushed by Clan Elders (effectively making them purchasable by faith)

And a few bugs squashed!

Attachments

• CrazyRivers.jpg
    CrazyRivers.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 393
Interesting idea for a really unique civ :)

2 small bugs i've encountered:
  • A magician can't add beliefs or summon a great spirit if he has 5 spread left (because of being born in a city with Great Mosque)
  • A great water spirit will (might) embark after discovery of optics. It can still cross ocean but only with 2 moves. It won't disembark when moving to land. Great magician can still dismiss it while embarked on land so at least there is a workaround.

Oh, also i don't know whether it's a bug or feature, but the spirit worship will spread (at least to CS) passively (you can't spread it actively).

A magician can't add beliefs or summon a great spirit if he has 5 spread left (because of being born in a city with Great Mosque)
One == about to be replaced with >= :blush:

A great water spirit will (might) embark after discovery of optics. It can still cross ocean but only with 2 moves. It won't disembark when moving to land. Great magician can still dismiss it while embarked on land so at least there is a workaround.
The same "unit suddenly decides its embarked" bug is in the Steampunk Airships mod - you have no idea how long I've been trying to track this down!

Oh, also i don't know whether it's a bug or feature, but the spirit worship will spread (at least to CS) passively (you can't spread it actively).
This is by design, just not documented. Think of it as the clans slowly inter-marrying with the city state population.

small bugs i've encountered:

A magician can't add beliefs or summon a great spirit if he has 5 spread left (because of being born in a city with Great Mosque).

Edit to fix for LUA\MorindimMissions.lua

Code:
Line 31
    if (pMagicianUnit:GetDamage() ~= 0 or pMagicianUnit:GetSpreadsLeft() [B][COLOR="Red"]<[/COLOR][/B] iMaxSpreads or pMagicianUnit:GetPlot():IsCity()) then

Code:
Line 82
    if (pMagicianUnit:GetSpreadsLeft() [B][COLOR="red"]<[/COLOR][/B] iMaxSpreads or pMagicianUnit:GetPlot():GetOwner() ~= iPlayer) then

One == about to be replaced with >= :blush:
Thanks!
Next time i'm trying to code something and make a beginner error, i'll feel better ;)
I would bet there are plenty of those in the Firaxis code :rolleyes:
The same "unit suddenly decides its embarked" bug is in the Steampunk Airships mod - you have no idea how long I've been trying to track this down!
I think when it happened, my unit was trying to "walk" over an embarked CS unit. Maybe it's totally unrelated, maybe not.

A great water spirit will (might) embark after discovery of optics.

Yep, it's Optics related. The original promotion is only used in the Smokey Skies scenario - and all players in that start with Optics, so the Firaxis code doesn't allow for a unit with the MoveAllTerrain ability when units are granted the Embark promotion (after discovering Optics) and the two promotions are incompatible and cause all kind of path finder issues! Simple solution is to check for a MoveAllTerrain promotion when giving the Embark promotion and ignore it.

I have played a game with this mod and it was alot of fun! It was very creative. The name you gave the spies was a nice touch. I also liked how I could re-name captured cities.

Glad you liked it :)

Both the clan names (which are location dependant, eg "Salmon River Clan" and "Red Crab Clan") and the spy names (eg "Raven Feather" and "Stealthy Paw") were born out of the complete lack of names in the original reference material to follow.

Top Bottom