Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

territp said:
47) Long time civ player, so maybe I am too stuck in the past and am not willing to accept the changes, or maybe this is a setting flaw on my computer: When the game begins, the entire screen is black except for the city. I can make very faint images out on the screen of resources, water, etc. I take units out into the world to explore, and the world map opens up, however it takes several turns for the world map to finally open up over my territory and searched area. Is my setting off somehow? Am I even making sense as to what I am trying to ask? Please help - Thanks

47. This is a bug. Check out the Bug forum, a patch is in the works to fix it (unknown release time, though), though there might be a "quick fix", depending on your computer.

Krikkitone said:
46) Do more cities or population have any negative effects on your research rate?

No, but more cities means more maintence costs, and more population means increased unhappyness/unhealthyness (which no longer causes the horrid riots
of older games, but is still rather annoying)

Halmboy said:

I have the feeling that part of one of the victory videos. Probably conquest. (In fact, perhaps reading the very link your posted will tell your about it)

Atman1 said:
How do I turn off the voice during Tech advances?

I don't think there's an option, though someone could mod one in. Heck, I'm willing to give it a try....

Is corruption as high in Civ IV as in Civ III? I find that aspect of the game extremely disappointing. It completely takes away the fun of empire-building and overseas conquest and exploration. I have no idea why they didn't make it at least optional/configurable. I wish so much that they have fixed that.

Rodrigo

Originally Posted by Atman1:
"How do I turn off the voice during Tech advances?"

Answer:
"I don't think there's an option, though someone could mod one in. Heck, I'm willing to give it a try...."

I am able to turn off all voices in the OPTIONS but I really wish to be selective (about who I axe).

rodrigo_braz said:
Is corruption as high in Civ IV as in Civ III?

There's no corruption anymore, but at the same time, they've kind of done away with massive empire building. it's possible to do, still, but you need a well developed economy (read, starting cities). There's plenty of topics concerning the changes, some more valid than others. I'd think the main site also provides some good info on the new things of civ4.

How can I get the correct leader name when I go with a random civ? I tried putting in "[default]" since that's what all the other options are at when you play random, but that didn't help at all.

Each civ has a "favorite civic" listed in the manual. What exactly does this do?
It is just for AI players or do human players get a discount on upkeep or something?

Where do you go to start the world builder?
I got into it during a game, but how do you get to it to start a scenario from scratch?

Is there a second method for checking what technologies you have already research other than the tech tree in the technology advisor screen? Or is there a way I can change the colors in tech tree so it is easier for us with color differation problems to tell the difference between those we have and those we haven't resarched?

You see green and blue give me a hard time. It is also a common color blindness issue.

thanks
rainmaker

Hey guys.

Having played the game (or previous incarnations of it) for over a year, I'll sign in here to answer questions. Let's start.

Ambiorix said:
Can I change civics and adopt a religion in one and the same revolution ?

I don't think so. Once you click "revolution" in one of them, you can't access the other one. It's always good to change several civics at once, though.

Each civ has a "favorite civic" listed in the manual. What exactly does this do?
It is just for AI players or do human players get a discount on upkeep or something?

Favourite civic influences on how the AI deals with you. If the AI is very liberal and you have an authoritarian civic, they'll like you less. You can see the exact effect if you move your mouse over the friendliness indicator in the diplomacy screen.

Where do you go to start the world builder?
I got into it during a game, but how do you get to it to start a scenario from scratch?

You can't. CRTL+W in the game starts it, but it's not a particularly good tool to make maps. In the Firaxis play session we never used it, but we had another tool around which converts a whole map from a set of BMP files which create multiple layers, so to say. One for height, on for terrain, one for rivers, one for resources.

Is there a second method for checking what technologies you have already research other than the tech tree in the technology advisor screen? Or is there a way I can change the colors in tech tree so it is easier for us with color differation problems to tell the difference between those we have and those we haven't resarched?

You see green and blue give me a hard time. It is also a common color blindness issue.

thanks
rainmaker

Not that I know of.

What is the song called that plays during the opening cinematic? Who recorded it? Also, what is the song called that plays during the main menu? It sounds inspired by African tribal. Who recorded it?

I was playing the Crusades scenario and I had discovered every Civilization on the map. The only problem was that Basil of the Byzantine Empire and Svein (sp?) Forkbeard (sp, again?) of the Vikings would not ask me if there would be peace/war as civs normally do when you first bump into them. Is this because they don't have character models in the normal game?

(Yes, I have been playing Civ since it first came out, but I just discovered these forums. Sad, isn't it? :p)

Is it possible to turn the barbarians off? And what can you do against overpopulation, introduce condoms in the middle ages or something?(don't wanna know what their made of then)

Why, sheepskin is the material of choice in the Middle Ages, Postie! :-D

To be precise...sheep blatter.....nasty. But enough for the fun i need some answers zo zhe questionz!

Glibe said:
What is the song called that plays during the opening cinematic? Who recorded it? Also, what is the song called that plays during the main menu? It sounds inspired by African tribal. Who recorded it?

I was playing the Crusades scenario and I had discovered every Civilization on the map. The only problem was that Basil of the Byzantine Empire and Svein (sp?) Forkbeard (sp, again?) of the Vikings would not ask me if there would be peace/war as civs normally do when you first bump into them. Is this because they don't have character models in the normal game?

(Yes, I have been playing Civ since it first came out, but I just discovered these forums. Sad, isn't it? :p)

The song in the main menu is Baba Yetu/Yesu. Read about it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=123680

I can't be sure about the issue with the Crusades game, it might be because it's a specific scenario, and you're "forced" into whatever options were available.

Mistfit said:
How do you abandon a city?

You can't. Sorry.

Postie said:
Is it possible to turn the barbarians off? And what can you do against overpopulation, introduce condoms in the middle ages or something?(don't wanna know what their made of then)

You can turn the barbs off in the custom game setup. Overpopulation (IE, people getting mad because it's crowded), you can attempt to fix a few ways. First, don't cover the surrounding area with farms, basicly, keep the city from growing, or at least, growing to fast. You can also use the buttons to the right of the city build options, select "avoid growth".

Overcrowding is a problem in any civ4 game you play, you just need to stay one step ahead of it.

Glibe said:

It's because they are minor civilizations. Minor civilizations are a new concept of CIV4, and they are constantly at war with all other civs, and cannot do any diplomacy -- neither with you nor with the AI.

Any reason why my capital would drop from a size 16 city to a size 1?

Drafting?

Regarding overpopulation: I don't see any problem in CIV4. If your city grows too much, it will just stop growing at some point, due to more "yucky faces" than "health crosses". Unhappiness is also less of a problem in CIV4: Your cities don't revolt anymore or become unproductive. Only those citizens who are unhappy simply don't work. There's no reason to worry about overpopulation in CIV4.

It seems like the airports do not work as they did on civ3. How can i move multiple units "to" the same airport in the same turn?

Top Bottom