How long will you be around?

How long will you still be playing Civ 4?

• less than 3 months

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • 3 to 6 months

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 6 to 12 months

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • 1 to 2 years

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • 2 to 5 years

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • more than 5 years

Votes: 54 21.1%

• Total voters
Regarding Civ V, I expect to wait until y'all have figured out how to play the game so I can start off reading strategy articles instead of stumbling around.

But I expect to keep playing IV for a long time. I still only barely play at Prince; I expect I'd want at least to master Monarch.

I'm the same. I dominate on Prince, and currently playing Monarch. I'm getting close at Monarch but I'd like to atleast master Emperor.

I've invested so much time at Civ4 that I don't feel like starting over again. Looks like Civ 5 will be different.

It depends on how good Civ 5 is wil probably try to play a little of both for a while then gradually change to civ 5 if its good enough.

God, I'll miss my stacks of doom. I guess I'll play Civ IV whenever I get the urge to kick Gandhi in the face with a heap of rifles (which should be, oh, every two days or so :p). It'll be a while from the release til I get Civ V though, so :(

I never buy new games anymore... I wait until the first few patches are in place. Or a 'complete' or expanded version is out. So I'll be playing Civ4 for a couple more years, at least.

And if the Civ5 reviews aren't good, I may not switch until Civ6. I skipped Civ3 for that reason.

I've posted here a lot less lately, too.

I will continue to play civ IV and especially some civ IV mods, and there are well-established games/gotm and so on with civ IV I might continue to enjoy. I also intend to finish my own mod of civ IV sometime. But with civ V and Starcraft II and general busyness I might not be playing it so much in the near future - I'd come back when I could for a long time though.

Well, Civ5 just happens to come out on my birthday, so I guess I'll still play Civ4 till then. I'll probably come back to it sometimes, especially if Civ5 has major bugs or just sucks.

I say 6-12 months for me. I bought Civ IV knowing that Civ V is right around the corner. it's a great game and i will definitally come back to it every now and then.

I feel like I'm just about done with Civ... but then again, that was how I felt 18 months ago as well. I'm sure it'll hook me in again somewhere down the line :D

I have no plans to get Civ 5 - no definite plans, anyway.

I won't get it until after the 1st patch or even the 1st expansion to wait for the game to 'stabilize'-which will be about a year after the release of CivV.

I've started as a kid with Civ I and buyed a copy of every Sid Meier's Civ since then. But, to be honest: I'm not sure if I will play Civ V. I read that they will force the users to install steam, even if they got their copy via retail. This doesn't taste right already. But if they implement this crazy system, that requires to be online for the game to work - no way.
The company will not monitore me being online or not, they will not get my IP with information about installed games or about how and when I spend my time gaming. Piracy is not a sufficient argument for a trader to oblige his paying customers to use idiotic third party software that has no advantage at all for the one who has to use it. And I will rather miss this great game than even risk transmitting said information and giving up parts of my privacy.

The company will not monitore me being online or not, they will not get my IP with information about installed games or about how and when I spend my time gaming.

That's a shame. Now they'll have to lay-off the guy who was going to be charged with monitoring your daily activities. ;)

/Post-online-world sarcasm

Seriously, I'm getting Civ 5 on the release date (already pre-ordered through Steam, which is about the only way I purchase games these days) but even though i'll likely play it to death for a long time, i'm not going to throw Civ1, 2, 3 or 4 (or CtP, CtP2 or Empire Deluxe) out the window. I've played the older games even after the release of 4, and I'm sure I'll want to revisit some of those games after Civ 5 is released.

I see them as different games, and I much enjoy the fact that each sequel tries to bring something new to the table, instead of just trying to fix and tweak.

That's a shame. Now they'll have to lay-off the guy who was going to be charged with monitoring your daily activities. ;)

/Post-online-world sarcasm

What's that for? Without sarcasm: those informations are gathered automatically. I realize that the company is interested in general user statistics and not so much in information about single persons. But in my opinion that's still inappropriate behavior towards people who are supposed to buy their stuff.
I really don't get why this isn't bothering you and a number of others at all. If there actually was someone walking behind you every day and taking notes what you are doing, for example, when you leave the house, when you come back, which shops you enter or which shoes you buy, what you eat and so on - that would be okay with you, just because the guy says, he's not interested in you personally but just as a consumer? And what's the difference between the guy and a bunch of data mining scripts?
But I'm pretty sure if your supermarket insisted, that you need to create an user account before you can buy milk, which you cannot drink outside because the shop staff mistrusts you, that also would be fine.

ether - I don't know why you have a problem with Steam. Have you ever tried it? I run half my games on steam and at this point basically buy all my games through it. I have no clue what you mean by all this monitoring crap. Steam serves as a form on DRM sure, but it's not invasive at all and is much much more than that. Honestly, I was skeptical a few years ago when I knew little about Steam, but it is the future of PC gaming. Digital purchases were just reported as already taking over half the market, and I expect in the not so near future it will be the only way to get PC games.

Don't blame Firaxis and CIV for using Steam. It's been trending this way with a lot of companies recently and I expect it to become even more prevalent in the future. Steam is a very sound online gaming retailer and is much more than just the application it provides.

You are only doing yourself a disservice by being stubborn, not Firaxis or Steam. They could care a rat's ass that you are not buying the game.

Also note that many single player games on Steam can be played offline - you just need to be connected for the install and initialization process.

Top Bottom