While We Wait: How to Succeed in NESing Without Really Trying

BSmith1068

Deity
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the latest While We Wait. This is the thread where all of your NESing related posts that don't belong anywhere else go. Please be courteous and obey forum rules.

Please post responsibly; if you notice things getting out of hand, you may report the post in question.

This WWW thread is a friendly place to discuss topics that concern NESing. This thread is NOT a place to attack others, flame, spam, or discuss things that would be better suited in the other WWW thread.

The last WWW thread can be found here

Subscription post. :mischief:

I know. :p

So, erez, are you as happy as I am to see JTK back in possible action?

This is an interesting experiment. Not sure whether this comment belongs in the NES WWW or the OT WWW; I'll subscribe to both regardless. :)

This post is BSmith the community member speaking – not BSmith the moderator. Now may not be the best time to discuss this, or it could be precisely the best time. Which I am not sure. But as many of you have already seen there has been quite a bit of recent discussion regarding NES and IOT in various places and whether or not they should just be merged into one common forum.

I personally think that there are a lot of things that both communities could benefit from by having one merged community (broader player base, influx of new ideas, synergies between game hosts and players), but there are certainly some drawbacks as well (potential changing of established cultures and identities).

My question to the community as a whole is what is your perspective on potentially merging the two communities into one larger, and hopefully greater, place for all of us to do what we do?

Lastly I will note that there has been absolutely zero discussion of merging NES and IOT in the staff forum, so it is not a thing that is actively being considered on that end at all.

I was in favour of a merger until realising that, actually, most of us are still hanging around here.

Personally I'd suggest leaving it as an open question while we see how active NES is going to be by itself.

So, erez, are you as happy as I am to see JTK back in possible action?

I have to say, yes and no. Yes because... DUH it's friggin jason the king! Some of my favorite ever NESes were made by his hands and mind!!! But No because his last few outbreaks into NESing were short lives and either had a NES of a type I wasn't interested at the time with, or a still-born fresh start... So... Yeah... Jason - come to stay! :)

IoT stuff
Admittedly, I don't really care, as long as the words Never Ending Stories, or the acronym NES remains in the forum's subject. I assume it will also be easier on the moderation with a union ;)?

But I do have to say. New comers should join NES/IoT out of interest, and not out of being forced into a unified forum where everything is one big mess. If I want to join an IoT, I'll go there and join, if I want to join a NES I'll go here and join, I don't see the point in shoving all the IoT's and NESes together if usually the communities are in fact separate and mostly interested in different games. Of course that's considering they really are still separate at all... How many original-IoTers are here, and how many original-NESers are there?

If you want to subsume IOT'ers under our aegis, I wouldn't be opposed to that. But I agree with erez, our name is ours, and shouldn't be abandoned or combined into some hybrid nonsense. :p

I agree with Daft thus far, waiting is a better option.

I could easily see the two merged, I personally have nothing against it.

NES doesn't really say what the things are though. World Building Games is a good suggestion that was made on the relevant thread in IOT. We could still call them NESes, but for a forum name, World Building Games is a good title.

Never ending stories is a good lie to tell ourselves in the morning, and I vote to keep it FOREVER.

On a different topic, I'd prefer a name for this new WWW that didn't presuppose the hegemony of bourgeois corporate culture (i.e. the word "business" in there). Here's an idea off the top of my head:

WWW: The NESer Lounge

Or if you want a pun on an old musical, as with the other WWW: (Almost) Anything Goes (Cole Porter):

WWW: How to Succeed in NESing Without Really Trying
WWW: NES Side Story

The NESer Lounge should be for the other thread lol.

I like "WWW: How to Succeed in NESing Without Really Trying".

Me too. Thread name changed. :)

No, we shouldn't subsume IOTs, except possibly when we're sure people are never going to come back. Otherwise all the arguments against that that applied before still apply, and the community near-consensus was very clear on the issue.

What were the other arguments? On the IOT side, they seem pretty ok with it. Also, technically didn't the frontier already do what a lot of them didn't want by combining the two communities themselves into Single Thread Games? As far as I can tell, there's no real difference between the two.

There were plenty of other arguments, and you can search the forums for them yourself if you like. Anyhow, I say this should wait until the current mess has passed by.

Top Bottom