Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

SO... now that the info is mostly certain thanks to the Civilopedia screenshots, I hereby declare this thread obsolete, we can go and debate Venice on the Venetian thread now (and so the Shoshone).

So... the Hypercube Civ is definitively Venice, and its a OCC civ, although we may have not guessed the Merchants may Puppet Cities bit,there were many betting to a Venetian OCC, so those will win, and of course all that before page 37 when the leaking rumors started. A list of winners:

Spoiler :
Eagle Pursuit, baptismbyfire, HottiePippen, Gucumatz, PhilBowles, vra379971, Rajul, baghdad, Alatan, alpha2117, Montov, Fummy, King William I, codepoet

Some winning, and almost too close (as in almost guessing that Venice would buy in other cities), quotes:

Eagle Pursuit said:
I think it's either Venice that only expands through some sort of new mechanic (city flipping via trade or something).
Gucumatz said:
I doubt its a fictional civ either . Just not what Civ is. I am pretty sure the hypercube is supposed to be Venice, considering the German, PCGamer reviews, and now this.

Question is what...

I doubt its glass, not out of the box enough. Perhaps conquest of cities by tourism/trade, instead of actual combat? Units would be only to defend lands/sack great works?
Alatan said:
Venice
You can produce units in Allied City States and you gain X % of their culture, science, faith and gold scaling down by the number of your cities.
Grow your empire with trade and diplomacy !
alpha2117 said:
Venice - with some sort of land reclamation ability or Buying CS's (no settlers at all).

So, kudos for everyone who guessed an OCC Venice, you get a Venetian Marzipan Rainbow Cookie!... A minute of silence for the hopes of a Canal-Sea Venice, a Nomadic-Moving Cities Tribe, Barbarian civ hopes and the Custom-civ...

So... close the thread now that there are threds for Venice and Shoshone?

I'll tell you what though, these last two civs (well all of them really, but especially these last two) are going to open up a world of possibilities for modders!! Especially those like me that really just create new civs with XML!

I'll tell you what though, these last two civs (well all of them really, but especially these last two) are going to open up a world of possibilities for modders!! Especially those like me that really just create new civs with XML!
I had this exact thought. I was already planning on changing Huns to be a OCC civ with Battering ram as Settler replacement. :p

Well, now I'm excited to see Dandolo's and Pocatello's leader screens, and to see what they picked for the Shoshone capital. Warm Valley?

A few questions about the screenshots.

Why is the Merchant of Venice being viewed in the normal unit tab? Why are the yellow up promotion arrow, and negative red promotion arrow so corrupted while the rest of the image is fine.

Looks like they've made a lot of new promotion icons for the unit abilities. I wonder if they went back and did this for the older units as well.

I had this exact thought. I was already planning on changing Huns to be a OCC civ with Battering ram as Settler replacement. :p

Make Huns the anti-Venice like Mongols are the anti-Greece.

Can only have Attila's court as original Hunnic city and can only annex or raze cities rather than puppet them. Great Generals can be expended to automatically annex a city without a battle (to represent a city capitulating to a threat).

I guess let them keep the pasture bonus too.

Playing as Venice and a Hun army with Battering Rams are coming. What do you do? Throw a Merchant at it :p

Really, nobody else thinks these civilopedia entries were faked. I know someone already said something about the grammatical errors in the entries, but what really got me thinking they were fake are the icons for the unique abilities. Think about it. Every time a unique unit gets an ability not available to other units it's designated by a generic yellow (for good) or red (for bad) icon. According to the pictures for the Venice and Shoshone civilopedia entries there are new icons specifically for their unique abilities. My reasons for this theory are as follows

1) The "Merchant of Venice" unit has a unique icon for a Trade Mission Bonus. This does not sound like an ability that can be given to regular units. It does, however use the same icon as city-states, so not as disqualifying

2) Great Galleass sounds like an odd name for a unique unit. Not only does it share a name with the unit it replaces, but it also has a weird looking icon in the abilities section. The only other place this icon appears is on the Comanche Riders (along with two other odd looking promotions). These could also be glitched arrows, but why would they appear this way when there is one working just fine on the page for the pathfinder. Something doesn't add up here.

3) The Pathfinder's other ability is the Native Tongue ability. Not only does it look like a new icon, that would only be used for this unit, but even in name it sounds like a unique ability for only this unit. It also doesn't look like any other icon in the game, meaning there would be no reason to create it because it would cost extra time and resources.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one. Took too long to post because I was trying to see if I could find the background or the text elsewhere, I didn't but It might be worth looking into seeing if we can fin the background elsewhere.

Really, nobody else thinks these civilopedia entries were faked. I know someone already said something about the grammatical errors in the entries, but what really got me thinking they were fake are the icons for the unique abilities. Think about it. Every time a unique unit gets an ability not available to other units it's designated by a generic yellow (for good) or red (for bad) icon. According to the pictures for the Venice and Shoshone civilopedia entries there are new icons specifically for their unique abilities. My reasons for this theory are as follows

1) The "Merchant of Venice" unit has a unique icon for a Trade Mission Bonus. This does not sound like an ability that can be given to regular units. It does, however use the same icon as city-states, so not as disqualifying

2) Great Galleass sounds like an odd name for a unique unit. Not only does it share a name with the unit it replaces, but it also has a weird looking icon in the abilities section. The only other place this icon appears is on the Comanche Riders (along with two other odd looking promotions). These could also be glitched arrows, but why would they appear this way when there is one working just fine on the page for the pathfinder. Something doesn't add up here.

3) The Pathfinder's other ability is the Native Tongue ability. Not only does it look like a new icon, that would only be used for this unit, but even in name it sounds like a unique ability for only this unit. It also doesn't look like any other icon in the game, meaning there would be no reason to create it because it would cost extra time and resources.

as much as I want to believe that it is fake it is not.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one. Took too long to post because I was trying to see if I could find the background or the text elsewhere, I didn't but It might be worth looking into seeing if we can fin the background elsewhere.

I did note in the Venice thread (the latest one...) that much of the entry for Dandolo seems to have been plagiarized/slightly paraphrased from Wikipedia. Hard to know if that's evidence of a forgery or just sloppy Civilopedia work though.

SO... now that the info is mostly certain thanks to the Civilopedia screenshots, I hereby declare this thread obsolete, we can go and debate Venice on the Venetian thread now (and so the Shoshone).

So... the Hypercube Civ is definitively Venice, and its a OCC civ, although we may have not guessed the Merchants may Puppet Cities bit,there were many betting to a Venetian OCC, so those will win, and of course all that before page 37 when the leaking rumors started. A list of winners:

Spoiler :
Eagle Pursuit, baptismbyfire, HottiePippen, Gucumatz, PhilBowles, vra379971, Rajul, baghdad, Alatan, alpha2117, Montov, Fummy, King William I, codepoet

Some winning, and almost too close (as in almost guessing that Venice would buy in other cities), quotes:

So, kudos for everyone who guessed an OCC Venice, you get a Venetian Marzipan Rainbow Cookie!... A minute of silence for the hopes of a Canal-Sea Venice, a Nomadic-Moving Cities Tribe, Barbarian civ hopes and the Custom-civ...

What a guess by Alpha2117. Pretty much as close as you could get :goodjob:

Given that another known reviewer has been reacting to the leak I don't doubt it's legit.

Really, nobody else thinks these civilopedia entries were faked. I know someone already said something about the grammatical errors in the entries, but what really got me thinking they were fake are the icons for the unique abilities. Think about it. Every time a unique unit gets an ability not available to other units it's designated by a generic yellow (for good) or red (for bad) icon. According to the pictures for the Venice and Shoshone civilopedia entries there are new icons specifically for their unique abilities.

Not always, now. Check the Morocco pictures, and you'll see the Berber Cavalry has a desert dune promotion - obviously from their unique ability to have extra combat strength in desert. The Kriss Swordsman also has a unique promotion with not only unique icon (a question mark) but unique colors as well.
This appears to no longer be the case, as the new UUs have different icons for their unique promotions.

My reasons for this theory are as follows

Already covered...

Berber Cavalry. Maori Warrior. Sharing a name certainly isn't unprecedented.
And the reviewer seemed to have some graphical glitches - from the screen shots, you can see glitched terrain textures, glitched icons... Even Ashurbanipal is glitched! This doesn't seem to always hit him though, as others have normal terrain - probably a quirk of his graphics card (probably overheating?)

Already covered...

Now granted it could all be fake, but I think it seems pretty much confirmed at this point.

I WANT TO SEE ENRICO DANDOLO! (Even though he can't see me.)

I did note in the Venice thread (the latest one...) that much of the entry for Dandolo seems to have been plagiarized/slightly paraphrased from Wikipedia. Hard to know if that's evidence of a forgery or just sloppy Civilopedia work though.

Given that the civilopedia screens were not yet supposed to be released to the public. It is also just possible that finishing the Civilopedia entries for these civs was still on somebodies ToDo list. (It is not like it has a high priority for play testing or something, and nothing else depends on it.)

I doubt it isn't legit... To make 6 icons fitting Civs styles is something only Sukritact and Janboruta would achieven, and not in a short time, the effort is too much...

I doubt it isn't legit... To make 6 icons fitting Civs styles is something only Sukritact and Janboruta would achieven, and not in a short time, the effort is too much...
Making the interface look right in all the screenshots would be a horror, that'd be the hardest part IMHO, unless the guy's a good coder, the icons, well that depends on the complexity, with a week's head-start, it's not difficult truth be told. In my case real life and video games get in the way.

I agree, not to mention the fact of the matter is there's a World Congress tab at the end, and the background for most entries is over the screen of the gameplay.

Enrico Dandolo is VERY consistent with the icon for Kris Swordsman, and if you remember other expansion packs the chance fot he art "style" is high, I remember the icons in BtS to be rather weird, in Cnc Generals the Zero Hour units had horrible icons, and in Civ 3 each expansion pack's leader looked diffrent.

Spoiler :

Nice summary! Well done to those who were close. Will now observe a moment of silence for canals and custom Civs...

Top Bottom