New civ linked to new resource

Indonesia's famous for making batik textiles.

There's an exhibit on batik at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum.
The statue of Ashurbinapal is on SFAAM property.
There art a couple terra cotta warriors at the SFAAM right now.

Indonesia confirmed. GG guys

Bakti textiles aren't exactly famous... I never even heard of them.

You mean... Porto? Don't we already have wine? :confused: Why would we have wine and Porto? Sure, it's a really good wine (or so I hear), but that seems a weird...

Port is a fortified wine, which means that it kept longer than normal wine, long enough to make long sea voyages. Port, along with Madeira, another fortified wine, provided quite a significant trade for Portugal with Britain and the American colonies from about 1700 onwards. In BNW, you get more gold from your international trade routes if you have resources the other civ doesn't have, and this would help with that.

For all those who said Canada-Moose I would say something else maybe beavers or Caribou moose aren't as important here as for Inuit I don't know.

I can't say I understood the moose thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are delicious. I'll not deny that! But who thinks of them as a resource? It would be an odd resource to add even if Canada is the civ they're talking about.

If it is Canada, then surely the resource linked to them would be maple, wouldn't it? I mean, maple is pretty big in New England, too, but that's not going to be a civ. But the Canadians like it so much they put it on their flag! Maple/Canada I could see. Moose/Canada doesn't make any sense.

Bakti textiles aren't exactly famous... I never even heard of them.

Batik was quite popular in the West for a while, though still a niche thing, however it's as much associated with Malaysia as Indonesia (indeed I once visited a Batik workshop in Kota Bharu).

Moose frankly sounds like something a modder would do to parody Canada :mischief:

Seals though, them seals. Read some of the Russian colonists interactions with natives and seals, read the documents of US Fish and Wildlife Services basically using Inuits as slaves [Interesting fact, did you know Alaskan natives had a death rate slightly higher than those of Soviet POW camps in WWII under the oversight of the US government?], Viking-Inuit conflicts, etc.

Seals the real deal

I haven' tread the thread but if anyone has suggested rubber or coffee, I'm with them.

Dark horse candidate: guano.

I completely forgot about maple syrup but then again I can't get the natural stuff from my position cause live in Alberta where you get everything but maple but it is delicious poutine is the best and should be a resource, just in case they don't choose maple syrup.

The more I think of it, the more convinced I am it's Venice.

Arguments:

Venice will allow for a UU for a unit that still isn't covered by UU's. The galleas. It would be perfected at protecting the new sea trade routes, and perfectly fit that theme.

Their UB will produce this new luxury ressource Venetian Glass, that only Venice will be able to produce, and you can make one new per city you have with this building. Can be quite powerfull if you have nations to trade with.

Their UA could be focused arround the new trade system. There you go, the perfect trading empire.

Venice was on its most powerfull in the renaissance era, and this XP will focus on the ages from the renaissance and to the endgame.

If Dennis had mentioned Venetian Glass, don't you think we would have guessed on Venice? Buffalo can be most NA tribes...... and you will have the problem that other civs can get the ressource if it isnt produced in a city by a building.

Agreed, however glass should be able to be produced by every civ, as resources are plopped at random on a map. I'm a big fan of Venice being in this game, especially with commerce and trade interfaces. We could also be thinking about paints in relation to Tuscony (but also used by other civs as well and can be used to create works of art). Coffee would be cool, especially considering this Gran Colombia theory that popped up and keeps recurring. It can grow across the globe. I'm a fan of the Bolívar theory. Another big contender for me is maple syrup, however.. who would be the leader of Canada?

Animals have to be able to be found globally in order for it to make sense. BISON (not buffalo.. those are in Africa) are American, so a Chinese improvement of bison doesn't quite work. Same goes for the moose and kangaroo theories. If you want more animals, think chickens or something that is way more common.

Animals have to be able to be found globally in order for it to make sense. BISON (not buffalo.. those are in Africa) are American, so a Chinese improvement of bison doesn't quite work. Same goes for the moose and kangaroo theories. If you want more animals, think chickens or something that is way more common.

So you're okay with Aztecs and horses?

So you're okay with Aztecs and horses?

Not entirely, although there are wild horses in America. Rice comes from Asia, but you can still grow it here.

The problem is that they have to be common cross-culturally and globally. Horses were domesticated and brought around the world, so were cows, sheep, pigs.. (the animals you already see in the game). You don't see animals that are continent-specific; think along the domesticated animal route.

Why would the animal need to be found globally when it has been insinuated that even saying what the resource is would give the civilization away? If anything, it's the opposite.

Why would the animal need to be found globally when it has been insinuated that even saying what the resource is would give the civilization away? If anything, it's the opposite.

The best indicator of what is to come is what has happened in the past. Here are the animals that are currently in Civ V:
Game animals: Foxes, Deer, Elephant... all found on multiple continents
Domesticated animals: Cows, Horses, Sheep, Pigs... all found on multiple continents
Aquatic animals: Fish, Whales, Crabs, Clams... found in all oceans

With that.. ANY other resource in Civ V is found on multiple continents.

Unless they do something COMPLETELY new, I'd say the best bet for a new animal would be chickens, ducks, rabbits or camels.

Can you name me an animal that would "give away" any one civilization (and not another)?

I had suspected that the reason the Dutch tulips were from Polders were due to insurmountable problems with an improvement granting resources while Oil, Uranium etc may end up being later revealed as in the same spot. With that and the Recycling Centre in mind, I would suspect that for a resource to be tied to a civilization, it would have to be through a unique building producing it - if not for something even more out there like converting an improvement to convert a bonus resource to something manufactured. So I'd think it unlikely to be something along the lines of rubber or coffee, and more likely to be manufactured like Porcelain or Jewellery.

Haven't read most of the thread yet, but I'm currently playing a mod where an improvement can give/discover a new resource on a tile that doesn't have any. When the improvement is on a tile that has a resource (to be revealed later in the game), it just never reveals a new resource on that tile.

Maybe the resource is Pho and the civ is Vietnam and the UB producing Pho is a noodle house/Pho Restaurant. :p

If it's Rubber and Kongo, I think it mostly would relate to the darkest era there, under the cruel Belgian colonial rule. Was there a rubber industry there before Belgians too? If not I doubt the connection.

Would work great with the Africa scenario though!

Top Bottom