Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

Ya I did read it but the problem is I don't really understand it. Is it saying I should save it into a different folder other than Patch folder?
Yes, it is saying you should extract the zip file you downloaded and put the file that is called cvcoregamedll.dll into C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\ and overwrite the file that already exists in there.
Your patch directory is not doing anything. It is just there to save the downloaded patches so that you do not need to download them again if you want to reinstall the game. The official patches automatically extract all their files into the correct locations, this unofficial one needs a tad more user input :)

Well, I fixed the "kick" issue for normal spies, but I guess the Great Spy isn't considered a spy unit, technically speaking.

I'll revisit the issue and see if I can do a slightly more comprehensive fix.

Bh

Bh- you are da MAN!! thank you for all the hard work.:goodjob:

Has anyone noticed that the go-turn command doesn't seem to work properly in the late game? When I'm moving a huge stack of units I usually hold down the right mouse button to see when it takes longer than 1 turn to move to the distant tile. When I do so, the units get there and all still have movement points.

Seems like there's a problem displaying the correct amount of turns to reach certain tiles. Only seems to happen when a stack of different movement point units are being moved at the same time.

I've only seen it in the late game, so perhaps it's a railroad problem.

Yes, it is saying you should extract the zip file you downloaded and put the file that is called cvcoregamedll.dll into C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\ and overwrite the file that already exists in there.
Your patch directory is not doing anything. It is just there to save the downloaded patches so that you do not need to download them again if you want to reinstall the game. The official patches automatically extract all their files into the correct locations, this unofficial one needs a tad more user input :)

Under assets there are the folders: assets0.fpk, assets1.fpk, assets2.fpk, and assets3.fpk. which one do i put it under and what does it mean to overwrite the file that already exists in there?

Under assets there are the folders: assets0.fpk, assets1.fpk, assets2.fpk, and assets3.fpk. which one do i put it under and what does it mean to overwrite the file that already exists in there?
Now we are talking ;)
You are looking at:
users\<name>\My Games\Beyond the Sword\assets\
you should look at
program files\firaxis games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\assets\ as quoted above ;)
Edit: the patch directory is in the same place you are looking at - so that is the reason you are confused :)

Has anyone noticed that the go-turn command doesn't seem to work properly in the late game? When I'm moving a huge stack of units I usually hold down the right mouse button to see when it takes longer than 1 turn to move to the distant tile. When I do so, the units get there and all still have movement points.

Seems like there's a problem displaying the correct amount of turns to reach certain tiles. Only seems to happen when a stack of different movement point units are being moved at the same time.

I've only seen it in the late game, so perhaps it's a railroad problem.

can you provide a save?, i'd like to try to confirm this.

i used the search thing to find firaxis games and when i openend bts it takes me straight to the game

i used the search thing to find firaxis games and when i openend bts it takes me straight to the game
I am not sure what you are saying: does it automatically start the game? it should not do so. Now I assume you do have an english language windows install, if that is not the case we'll have to do some other things. I also am confident that you just installed the game to whatever location it wanted and did not do a custom install.
Open Internet Explorer and instead of typing an internet address copy this address into the address field:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\
It should open an explorer window with the correct directory open, now all you have to do is: extract the zip file that you downloaded and copy the cvgamecoredll.dll file into the directory you just opened.

Ok I copied the patch into the correct assets folder where there is the CvGameCoreDLL.dll but the directions say I should overwrite that with the patch. How do I do that?

Hm, the only difference I can spot is the cultural value of 7 vs 7.25. Seems the city mouseover uses a rounded value. Not sure if I'd qualify that as a bug.

Total culture is calculated as being 8.7
In-city it display this in the culture bar and at the end of the drill-down. Granted, at top of the latter it says 7.25.

Anyway, there seem to be different values used and it would be helpful to have only one value shown (at best the one the game really makes use of)

(EDITED - missed latest development :) )

Ok I copied the patch into the correct assets folder where there is the CvGameCoreDLL.dll but the directions say I should overwrite that with the patch. How do I do that?
You just do a simple file copy. Copy the new CvGameCoreDLL.dll into the directory, and answer yes when the system wants you to confirm the overwrite.

Or forget all about files and directories, and use the installer provided by grumbler a few posts ago -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6091913&postcount=726

Total culture is calculated as being 8.7
In-city it display this in the culture bar and at the end of the drill-down. Granted, at top of the latter it says 7.25.

Anyway, there seem to be different values used and it would be helpful to have only one value shown (at best the one the game really makes use of)

I'm afraid I still don't get it. I see two values "culture per turn" (which I marked with red) and "culture accumulated" (which I marked with yellow) .. and fail to spot any inconsistency (apart from the rounding issue). :confused:

Attachments

• culture.png
    culture.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 182
(EDITED - missed latest development :) )

You just do a simple file copy. Copy the new CvGameCoreDLL.dll into the directory, and answer yes when the system wants you to confirm the overwrite.

Or forget all about files and directories, and use the installer provided by grumbler a few posts ago -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6091913&postcount=726

but what does it mean when the readme says, "backup your current dll file" Im being really cautious cause Ive never done something like this before and I dont wanna mess the game up
i have tried copying it the assets folder, but it never asks me to confirm the overwrite

can you provide a save?, i'd like to try to confirm this.

I should have done that in the first place, but didn't think I could find an example so easily. Turns out I can.

In this example, there's a stack of mine that has modern armor in it (near my capital). It's the only stack with modern armor, so it will be easy to find. If I select all units of the stack and hold down the right mouse button, the stack can go as far as Maastricht before the number in the circle changes to 2. This usually means that this is as far as the stack (as a group) can go that turn. When the stack arrives in Maastricht, you would expect one or more units to be out of movement points. This is not the case, however, since they can make it as far as The Hague and beyond.

I'm really thinking it's a problem with railroads, since I don't remember seeing this in the early game. Even in the early game, I have stacks of units with different movement point values that behave as intended.

Single units seem to move fine. I find this bug very annoying since it's hard to gauge where exactly the stack will wind up unless you move them in small increments.

The screenshot is from a game that started at 1.101, but I reverted to 1.09 when I got a stuck worker. As you'll see, Izzy is building way too many corporate executives. I guess she can afford to use them, but still can't.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 111
but what does it mean when the readme says, "backup your current dll file" Im being really cautious cause Ive never done something like this before and I dont wanna mess the game up
i have tried copying it the assets folder, but it never asks me to confirm the overwrite
In that directory there is already a file called cvgamecoredll.dll - rename that to whatever (e.g. cvgamecoredll313.dll) that way nothing happens to it and if you need to get rid of the patch you just delete the new file and rename the old one back to cvgamecoredll.dll :)

Update:
  • Relationship penalty for declaring war on a friend checks if Civs are at war
  • Altered previous worker threat assessment check so it's less useful, but more efficient

The second one should fix the large turn slowdowns. It's rather sad that it's necessary, but I couldn't find a better solution short of a massive re-write of the worker job assignment system. It still should prevent "worker stealing" using units with Woodsman II (or similar), which was the main goal anyway.

Bh

I'm afraid I still don't get it. I see two values "culture per turn" (which I marked with red) and "culture accumulated" (which I marked with yellow) .. and fail to spot any inconsistency (apart from the rounding issue). :confused:

I stand corrected, as I have to admit to have missed the listing of the 8.70 culture in the map view. :blush:
I used to always look at the bottom to check with the culture a city accumulates. Thanks for pointing that out.

Update:
The second one should fix the large turn slowdowns. It's rather sad that it's necessary, but I couldn't find a better solution short of a massive re-write of the worker job assignment system. It still should prevent "worker stealing" using units with Woodsman II (or similar), which was the main goal anyway.
Bh

My gut feeling is that improving the worker code was a slight judgement error. This is because the "Sid Meier Fun" test was not heeded with this improvement. Yes it is more fun from a purist point of view to see workers behaving more sensibly, but it is also more fun to see them behaving a bit less sensibly, and being able to nab em good every now and then. Thus it only produces a neutral (+1-1=0) result and was not a genuine bug in the first place (it was only an imperfection).

The end result is that we all got stung with the worker improvement, because it is so easy to forget just how *incredible* this totally cool BTS engine is. It's a beautiful, beautiful piece of software engineering from all vantage points (design, implementation, replayability, stability, hardware compatibility etc etc) as we all know.

No disrespect intended, because Bhruic, you really are The One. Thanks for the great work you have done so far.

Cheers.

Top Bottom