Trade Route per city

Chris Hill

Warlord
I have three active trade routes and have just created the 4th. In terms of cities on the coast the list, from north to south, is Surabaya, Melbourne, York, London, Venice, Sidon, La Venta and Marrakech.

From London I have a caravan to Melbourne and a cargo ship to Venice, and from York I have a cargo ship to Venice.

I now have a new cargo ship to place. When I look for options, the best gpt is for York to Marrakech, and London-Marrakech is not shown.

There cannot be a limit on the total number of trade routes per city, since it will allow me to trade from London to Surabaya or to Sidon. Both York and London have harbours.

I have set the route from York to Marrakech. Why it will not allow me to go from London?

Maybe share your save file so we can look?

Perhaps it's a matter of distance. Trade routes have a limited range, which increases with harbors, roads and technologies.

My guess is that York is closer to Marrakesh and London is too far.

Is London further from Marrakech than York is? If so its probably too far away.

Edit: ninjaed

Perhaps it's a matter of distance. Trade routes have a limited range, which increases with harbors, roads and technologies.

My guess is that York is closer to Marrakesh and London is too far.

No, from my original list London is nearer. As soon as the London-Venice route completed I was given the ability to create routes to Marrakech and Fez, which is further.

I have just copied a save file from a couple moves earlier and will try to recreate the problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot manage to remember exactly how the problem rose. I had just completed Optics, which gave me the harbour and an additional route. I created the cargo ship in Nottingham, which is on my other coast, then relocated it to London. I must also have added harbours to London and York, but the timing seem wrong. Possibly, I had managed to get the harbour in York while the cargo ship was in London. Next time, I will create a save file if it happens.

Another odd point that has come up is in the list of trade routes, whether it some times shows the wrong length, where I have been a value of 41. Next time I will get a screen dump of it.

Also, on the possible trade routes, sorted by length of times, I have seen a case where a single internal route shows up twice - correctly as production and again as food, which should be in the available routes rather than the active routes. It shows up correctly in the list of active routes display.

It's indeed limited by distance. No limit on number of connections to a single city. (Other than if you already have a food route from A to B; you can't also have a production route from A to B. You can however have a food or production route from B to A)

Length of the trade route is not as the crow flies but the distance actually traveled. If you don't have Astronomy yet, the route can't include ocean tiles, which can greatly increase the length.

Top Bottom