Vista compatibility?

ckskittleman

Chieftain
I know that the official Civ4 website doesn't say that BTS is compatible with Vista, but I saw on the Direct2Disc website that thiers is. So two questions..

1.) Even though Vista is not specified as being supported on the boxed version, does it work? and..

2.) Is there anything different with the Direct2Disc version or is it the exact same game?

Well, I can tell you that I'm running Vista and have had zero problems with the game after getting it off of Steam.

BTS is marketed under the Games for Windows banner which means that it is Vista compatible.

Works fine on Home Premium for me. I had an issue where I couldn't install until I found the secret built-in administrator account, but that's Vista playing silly buggers with permissions rather than a compatibility problem.

im running Vista32 Ultimate.

the game works fine, but i notice a lot of sounds problems (distortion and stutter), and general sluggishness. every other game i run works fine.

when i played Vanilla/Warlords on XP Pro with the same computer, no problems at all with most settings on high. in Vista, i have to run the game on mostly all low settings and still get performance issues, yet its still playable.

so i dunno, its either the expansion has problems with Vista and Vista drivers, or the expansion is more hardware intensive than Warlords.

like i said, all my other games transitioned fine but this one, my machine has 1 gig of ram but i use the BlackViper Vista service tweaks, all drivers are up to date, all the obvious stuff so hopefully it will be addressed soon.

i play on a E1505
X1400, T2500, 60gb SATA, Soundblaster Live external, 1 gig ram

Works fine for me @ 1920 * 1200 4AA
In fact, the only game i've had issues with in Vista is LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth II

Only thing wrong is that i need to run the audio on stereo, can't use EAX even though i have a soundblaster x-fi

I also can't use EAX. Creative Alchemy is supposed to resolve the problem for X-Fi users but I can't find the right settings for it. It's no big deal.

Slightly more annoying is the fact that Civ 4 (and Warlords, and BTS) all appear to be using slightly the wrong font when running under Vista, on my machine at least. It's not quite the same as the one you get under XP and it's not as nice - it just looks wrong. I have no idea how to fix this.

Otherwise the game works perfectly.

It works but always wants Adminstrator Rights to run. Don't know why, Warlords and Vanilla didn't. A bit weak for a "Games for Windows" Game. The least you could expect is that it runs with User Rights.

I've had Vista since it came out and I haven't had an issue with Civ IV at all. I've had issues with other games, but Civ IV has been a joy.

im running Vista32 Ultimate.

the game works fine, but i notice a lot of sounds problems (distortion and stutter), and general sluggishness. every other game i run works fine.

when i played Vanilla/Warlords on XP Pro with the same computer, no problems at all with most settings on high. in Vista, i have to run the game on mostly all low settings and still get performance issues, yet its still playable.

so i dunno, its either the expansion has problems with Vista and Vista drivers, or the expansion is more hardware intensive than Warlords.

like i said, all my other games transitioned fine but this one, my machine has 1 gig of ram but i use the BlackViper Vista service tweaks, all drivers are up to date, all the obvious stuff so hopefully it will be addressed soon.

I have similar sound problems on equivalent (-BlackViper) fresh Vista install.
My soundcard is a Realtek AC97 (or whatever) tho.
Sounds work perfectly in Vanilla and Warlords for some weird reason :p

Had similar sound problems with Warlords atleast, on my XP install some time ago... :X

Slightly more annoying is the fact that Civ 4 (and Warlords, and BTS) all appear to be using slightly the wrong font when running under Vista, on my machine at least. It's not quite the same as the one you get under XP and it's not as nice - it just looks wrong. I have no idea how to fix this.

Yeah, I have that problem on Warlords...mostly it's readable, but there is not enough space between letters. When there are two zeros (0) next to each other, for instance, their edges touch.

Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode?

Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode?
XP Compatibility mode doesn't make any difference, sadly. It was the first thing I tried.

Good to see eric_ confirming this fonts issue, by the way - I've never seen anyone else mention it, and was starting to think it was just me.

XP Compatibility mode doesn't make any difference, sadly. It was the first thing I tried.

Good to see eric_ confirming this fonts issue, by the way - I've never seen anyone else mention it, and was starting to think it was just me.

Nope I have it is as well. :(

lol, that's exactly how I felt when I read your post!!! Sad to hear it's not fixed in BTS (which I don't yet have).

Top Bottom