How long will you be around?

How long will you still be playing Civ 4?

• less than 3 months

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • 3 to 6 months

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 6 to 12 months

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • 1 to 2 years

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • 2 to 5 years

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • more than 5 years

Votes: 54 21.1%

• Total voters
I'll probably get the new Fallout game and go on a Civ hiatus till I'm bored of that.

I'm still new to this game, so I expect to be playing at least a couple of years... and maybe continue playing sporadically after that. I still sometimes play the original Colonization!

Hard to say. I probably get Civ V as soon as possible to see whether I like it that much or not.

But don't know... I still go back playing CIV I for couple weeks time after time.. Just to get some of those old memories back ;).

I doubt I'll be back, civ 5 looks like a combo of civ and 三国志11 to me. I love the fighting in san guo, but hate the silly city management.

Newer isn't always better. SimCity 3000 > SimCity 4. Unmodded Morrowind > Unmodded Oblivion. Total War series.

Civ V has succumbed to the endless DLC and pre-order BS that plagues major titles today. I won't buy it until all the expansions and DLC's have been released (including pre-order content), it goes on sale for at least 33% off, and if it's actually a fun, rich, balanced game without too much suspension of belief (archers firing across lakes...).

So, I will be playing Civ IV for probably 5+ years, if only sporadically.

I agree completely. I also have an intense dislike of exclusive content schemes and will buy the game only once I get the full thing without feeling ripped off. This comes from someone who loves collectors' editions with shinies outside the game itself.
Adding booklets with concept art, a 'making of' documentation, a soundtrack cd, a shiny box itself etc feels like going the extra mile for the fans interested in such. Exclusive content feels like milking the player like a cow.

Ironically, deep and complex games are disadvantaged anyway - it'll take some time until all the kinks are smoothed out and often enough I feel switching to a more recent game only becomes attractive once it's in the bargain bin or comes bundled with its expansions anyway.
I'll get it straight away if I feel developers and publishers deserve it. But pulling annoying revenue-enhancing tricks? Sorry, I'll just keep playing older/freeware titles until you're happy for any buck you can still wring out of the product.

Ive never gone back after a new civ comes out. I have found each new version is better than the last. I don't expect this to change.:D

I still have 2 and 3 installed, and play them occasionally... so I don't see why I'd stop playing 4 just because I've got 5.

2 was a straight improvement over 1, but since then every iteration of Civ has been sufficiently different that it doesn't replace the previous version. What I've heard about 5 suggests that this trend is continuing.

Kossin's Barbarian challenge which i'm playing now will be the last civ4 game for me. I'm not totally sure i'll devote as much time to civ5 as i have done to civ4. It's nice to play another civ4 game now but overall i found not playing civ the last 4 months kind of refreshing.

I won't get V until after the first patches, expansions, and guides are all in.

My mother still plays civ 2, that is how I first started playing Civ 3. In my opinion civ 4 is a big improvement. I hope they include a more co-operative multi-player mode in Civ 5. In the current multiplayer there is more incentive to attack each other. I still like the old stuff though.

I'll probably keep playing Civ4 for a few more years, at least until I beat diety and play a lot of the mods and scenarios. If I get Civ5, it will be awhile after it comes out, maybe even after an expansion comes out.

Depends on how I like Civ V. Even with all the problems around Civ IV, I still stopped playing III when it came out. I even kept it on an old computer and would go back for "nostalgia" every once in a while. But I couldn't really enjoy what felt clunky and old.

Guess I like new stuff.

I don't know what the system specs for Civ V are going to be, but I fear I might not be able to run it til I upgrade my computer. Since I'm broke, that might be a while!

If I like Civ V after I get it, I'll probably stop playing Civ IV. I loved Civ II but when I got III I stopped playing it. When I got IV I stopped playing III. I tried going back but it's just not the same anymore.

I have put so many hours into playing Civ 4 : Beyond the Sword that I feel I should be able to say “I’ve won as all the civilizations and at the highest difficulty level.” I can’t say this yet because there are 5 civs I haven’t won with (although 2 of those were abandoned because they were in the bag) and because I haven’t cracked, or even attempted, deity yet. Until I do both of these things Civ 4, won’t be “done,” although I may stop playing it, for other reasons.

This is pretty much a non issue for me as I doubt my computer can handle Civ 5 and I don’t plan on buying a new one soon.

Until i can reach immortal and get some good games out on that level, I picked 1-2 years for that reason. I might wait on Civ 5 until my b-day in november or until themeinteam puts up a lets play of it on youtube.

I just picked it up during the Steam Sale (Complete Pack for $10). I'm very much of the mindset of after ~25 years of games, there's rarely much incentive for me to buy on Day 1. Games are still fun 6 months later, 12 months later, 16 years later (Transport Tycoon Deluxe/Open TTD, Master of Magic, many SNES games).

I can't see myself spending $50 for a new game. I did fork over $100 for the Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition, but that's based on the hope that I can recoup most of that in 12 to 18 months by selling the loot card. Recently I bought an XBOX 360 (6 weeks before the slim, argh!) and with the exception of Super Street Fighter IV, I've been paying $7 to $12 shipped for near mint copies of AAA titles on eBay.

TL;DR 1 to 2 years. I'll wait for Civ5 to hit $20 on Steam.

Think my system will handle Civ V. If I like it, I'll play it exclusively. I've been playing Civ gams in the following order:

Empire Deluxe
Civ I
Civ II
Civ CTP
Civ III
Civ IV.

I like change, when it works. Hopefully they don't bodge the whole thing up.

Top Bottom