If our moon suddenly developed an atmosphere will that have any negative effects?

Lonkut

..--""--..
If magicaly the Earth's moon got an atmosphere will Earth be affected in any way?

no, effects like nature and tetonic plate shifting or gravity changes and stuff like that. Nothing related to humans living there or politics. Just effects on nature.

It won't effect earth at all, and the moon would not be able to sustain an earth-like atmosphere due to it's low gravity.

It won't effect earth at all, and the moon would not be able to sustain an earth-like atomsphere due to it's low gravity.
Not on its own for long time periods, but in the short term or with some human ingenuity it would probably be sustainable.

well since we're talking about gravity. in order for a stelar body to even have an atmosphere it needs a strong gravitational pull? thats why earth has an atmpsphere and other planets don't cuz of gravity power?

Yeah, but not directly. The atmosphere would require stronger gravitational field than moon has now which would effect earth.

Otherwise this has already degraded into spam.
well thats what my original question was about. If moon gets an atmosphere how will it affect earth, doesn't matter how it gets an atmosphere as long as it has one. ppl started talking about ribs and sauce. damn you hijackers. :gripe:

If we could somehow get the moon to spin faster, could it retain an atmosphere then?

The moon's atmosphere might generate some pretty sights. I suppose that the moon would become less clear and any creatures that use its light to see by, or use it for navigation might suffer a bit.
But they seem to manage when it's cloudy or when it's new moon, so I doubt that the effect would be large.
I can't think of any other effect of the atmosphere itself.

well since we're talking about gravity. in order for a stelar body to even have an atmosphere it needs a strong gravitational pull? thats why earth has an atmpsphere and other planets don't cuz of gravity power?
Yep.

well thats what my original question was about. If moon gets an atmosphere how will it affect earth, doesn't matter how it gets an atmosphere as long as it has one. ppl started talking about ribs and sauce. damn you hijackers. :gripe:
Ribs is a much better topic and you know it:p

If magicaly the Earth's moon got an atmosphere will Earth be affected in any way?

The ensuing landgrab could be the cause of war and other strife until the issue of who owns the moon is decided.

That's only partially correct. It's not really needed to have an atmosphere, it is just needed to hold an atmophere, and numerous other factors (temperature/composition/magnetic fields/solar wind) also have an important impact. Titan (saturn's moon) has a very thick atmophere despite having similar gravity to our moon.

Our moon certainly could have an atmophere, I'd wager it would stick around for a fair bit of time, but it would dissapaite over millions of years.

Of course, us mighty humans could probably prevent that from occuring.

The ensuing landgrab could be the cause of war and other strife until the issue of who owns the moon is decided.
Well, he didn't say what kind of atmophere though. It could make the moon even more hostile.

EDIT: Wiki says no one.
:lol: You think treaties ever stopped anyone?

As per Perfections comment, the atmosphere would vanish. I'm not even sure it would stay around for millions of years, but supposing it did, it still wouldn't follow the same density gradient as earths atmosphere and thus would very likely not produce the pressure (or oxygen concentration) at ground level necessary to sustain humans that aren't in spacesuits.

So it would make absolutely no difference to anybody except the hordes of scientists trying to figure out how it got there.

[EDIT] I was assuming the question meant an "earthlike" atmosphere, i.e. a sphere of air would suddenly appear around the moon which temporarily causes earthlike atmospheric density at groundlevel.

As per Perfections comment, the atmosphere would vanish.
Of course it would, but I'd reckon not on a human timescale.

I'm not even sure it would stay around for millions of years, but supposing it did, it still wouldn't follow the same density gradient as earths atmosphere and thus would very likely not produce the pressure (or oxygen concentration) at ground level necessary to sustain humans that aren't in spacesuits.
It could most certainly have the same pressure as on Earth.

So it would make absolutely no difference to anybody except the hordes of scientists trying to figure out how it got there.
Yeah it would, having just to condition an already existant atmophere is a heck of a lot easier then creating one from scratch.

Edit:
[EDIT] I was assuming the question meant an "earthlike" atmosphere, i.e. a sphere of air would suddenly appear around the moon which temporarily causes earthlike atmospheric density at groundlevel.
If it has the same the same temperature/density/and composition as air on Earth then by the ideal gas equation it must have the same pressure.

A.
It could most certainly have the same pressure as on Earth.
I'm not convinced of this at all. Theres all kinds of considerations such as how the tidal lock or solar heating will affect it (since all the measurements are different: surface area, "thickness" of the atmospheric layer etc.)

But if you are sure of it I'm not going to argue much about it, you may very well be right...

B.
Yeah it would, having just to condition an already existant atmophere is a heck of a lot easier then creating one from scratch.
Well I was sloppily applying "use" as in, being able to live on the surface. If you are right on A) then ok, sure, but if A) is wrong then what could you do? Sell the air?

Perhaps it would be useful for some kind of aircraft? Again, it all comes down to what the result of A) is, and I'm not too optimistic.

C.
[EDIT] Missed this part:
If it has the same the same temperature/density/and composition as air on Earth then by the ideal gas equation it must have the same pressure.
Who says it will have the same temperature? and same density again depends on A)

Top Bottom