Bug Reports

On the bug watch front, it's great the way revolutions messages are now part of the general news event system. :goodjob: however even after trying to turn off all the debug messages, I'm still getting them after exiting the revolutions watch dialog. Only a small issue. Another small issue is that my empire is being reported as medium size in the revolutions watch even when it is only one city in the dark ages. Not that important.

An absolute necessity for this mod is a revolutions watch screen via a button top right. The extra strategic layer of Revolutions needs a dedicated screen just like the other strategic layers (ie espionage, corps). You have to refer to the revolutions watch quite regularly, at least as often as the espionage screen so it's a must for the long term viability of this mod. Ctrl-shift-w just doesn't cut it as a serious UI control.

Cheers.

Yeah, the UI is definitely in need of some, well, existence would be a good first step :p Having a top-right button is high on the list for the next version, as is including rev info into the city screen and perhaps somehow on the main map, but the city icons are kind of overloaded with info already, particularly at the end of the game.

Hi jdog,

Could you check out the savefile I attached below? I keep getting a CTD on the next turn. I'm using BTS 3.13, Revolution 1.16bts, and I tried it with both the original DLL and the updated one with Bhruic's 1.09 changes.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/98337/Justinian_AD-0700.CivBeyondSwordSave

I hope it's easy to fix...I had a really good game going :(

Alright, I figured out why it was crashing and how to get around the crash. It wasn't a bug directly from Revolutions, and I don't know how or why, but some player's getPower call returned a -1. This value was then used in a denominator as (1 + power), so a classic divide by zero occurred. A player's power value should never be below 0, and nothing I've written directly affects power computations (only indirectly by adding units, etc), so this is a Firaxis bug but the unusual circumstances of rebel civs may have made it more likely to occur (it certainly is rare anyway).

(EDIT: Upon further review, there is no bug in the Firaxis code ... here's what was wrong: teams contain info on what techs have been researched, when a team researches a tech each player on the team is given a power boost for having the new tech. If the tech is taken away, then the player loses the corresponding power. When overwriting a player slot when creating new players, I was resetting the player's power to 0, and then taking techs away from their team ... causing them to have negative power. I've since fixed this so that the team is now fully reset if it has only one member when the player is being reset, which fixes the bug. Modding is an iterative learning experience ...)

Now that you've endured the techie speak, the solution to get around this problem is to replace the DLL in the Revolution/Assets/ folder with the one here.

Hope the rest of your game goes well!

Yeah, the UI is definitely in need of some, well, existence would be a good first step :p Having a top-right button is high on the list for the next version, as is including rev info into the city screen and perhaps somehow on the main map, but the city icons are kind of overloaded with info already, particularly at the end of the game.

It is a dilemma isn't it about that city screen? It's busy alright. However the city bribe button under ctrl-shift-w logically needs to go into the city screen as an option that becomes available if there is enough money to bribe that city. Perhaps in the same button space as the enact slavery, and universal suffrage, nationalism conscription buttons? It is challenging to think of neat user interface additions to what is already a very busy space. However the whole revolutions mod is an advanced concept anyway. In other words you progress from playing vanilla to playing Revolutions, so you should be already familiar with the interface.

On another question Jdog. Does the ai know how to bribe a city? I guess if it does it must have been a pretty complex algorithm to add to the ai, considering that the ai has to prioritise so many other expenditures as well.

Cheers.

(EDIT: Upon further review, there is no bug in the Firaxis code ... here's what was wrong: teams contain info on what techs have been researched, when a team researches a tech each player on the team is given a power boost for having the new tech. If the tech is taken away, then the player loses the corresponding power. When overwriting a player slot when creating new players, I was resetting the player's power to 0, and then taking techs away from their team ... causing them to have negative power. I've since fixed this so that the team is now fully reset if it has only one member when the player is being reset, which fixes the bug. Modding is an iterative learning experience ...)
Now that you've endured the techie speak,

No really, thanks for the techi speak jdog! That find of yours about the negative power is for me like reading a detective story. Just a brilliant find. :goodjob: Thanks for posting an update dll :) I have not experienced any crash this game...yet, but this dll is like insurance for spending possibly the next forty game hours on this current game.

Big thanks, you are the one :king:

It is a dilemma isn't it about that city screen? It's busy alright. However the city bribe button under ctrl-shift-w logically needs to go into the city screen as an option that becomes available if there is enough money to bribe that city. Perhaps in the same button space as the enact slavery, and universal suffrage, nationalism conscription buttons? It is challenging to think of neat user interface additions to what is already a very busy space. However the whole revolutions mod is an advanced concept anyway. In other words you progress from playing vanilla to playing Revolutions, so you should be already familiar with the interface.

On another question Jdog. Does the ai know how to bribe a city? I guess if it does it must have been a pretty complex algorithm to add to the ai, considering that the ai has to prioritise so many other expenditures as well.

Cheers.

Yeah, I'm not sure where things will fit yet ... to answer your other question, yes the AI does know about bribes and will bribe its cities to keep them from revolting. If a city is fairly rebellious, the AI will look at the circumstances in the city and how much money it has and choose the appropriate size of bribe :cool:

Sorry but your new version is buggy.

[Revolution]
Enable = False

causes in no trade routes (in every city!).

look at the screenshots.

addition: as you can see in the downer right corner of the shots, there is also a bug with the player status bar. those are not in the background when revolution=false

Ahhh, thanks for posting this. There hasn't been a reason to test the Enable/Disable for a long time so I hadn't even tried that out. Should be able to fix quickly though. Basically right now the city screen drawing is crashing half way through, so it just isn't drawing (or in the case of the score box, hiding) whatever comes after the bits I added.

Thanks jdog! Been reading the change list. It's a great read. Does the list apply to 1.25 or is it still a 1.20 list as written?

May have to abort current game and try 1.25......

Cheers. Thanks.

I'm not sure the MilitaryStrength variable in the INI file has any effect. I had been trying to increase the strength of barbarians but I found that there was little effect when I changed the MilitaryStrength from 1.0 to 2.0 then to 10 then to 10000. So I did an experiment:

I loaded the game with it set to 1.9 created a barb city and turned it into a civ. Out popped Peter and about 15 axemen. Then I created another city and there was Pacal II with about 10 warriors.

I exited, changed the number to 1.0 and reloaded the same game and again created the same two cities. The first yielded Peter with the same troops and the second Pacal with the same troops.

Two questions:
1. Why does changing military strength have no effect?
2. Why do such vastly different armies spawn for two barbarian civs spawned in the same turn (15 axemen vs 10 warriors)? Both civs were "military style buildup" and declared war immediately on nearby civs. Peter declared on me and the setting was Monarch, does the difficulty influence the number of units spawned to attack the human player?

2. Why do such vastly different armies spawn for two barbarian civs spawned in the same turn (15 axemen vs 10 warriors)?

Wonder if Suspendinlight's solid objective tests and resultant questions could be generalised as:

What part should randomisation play in Revolutions under BTS?

The excellent news with Suspendinlight's work is that the hostile civ declared war on all surrounding neighbours in both scenarios. That is the important point to me with respect to the health of this mod.

The extent of his army doesn't concern me as much. It's a bit like the whole ethos with BTS has changed anyway with respect to the inclusion of random events. You probably have experienced some of the hideous stacks of barbarians that can show up randomly in vanilla BTS at Monarch level, where in some scenarios they are enough to kill your civ totally, and in another, just are a bit of an annoyance nothing more.

Maybe the best solution is to be able to control the degree of randomness via an ini setting. Maybe there is already such a control?

Excellent idea on the user interface in the city screen with the revolt status bar above the national identity bar. Looks "right" to me. Just a suggestion would be to make it obvious that you can click on the bar to bribe a city. The way to do that would be to use the same hint text format that appears in other hover pop ups. Take for example hovering over the palace. The help text in the bottom begins with an unnumbered list punctuation. You could do the same with the Revolt status bar with the help text " - click to bribe this city".

Excellent that there is an icon now top right. I guess the difficulty is that the software engineers didn't think to make the icon space expandable horizontally thus you have to put the revolt icon underneath. I wonder if the icon area is a static bitmap graphic? That would be annoying. Once the revolt icon is in-line with the others, then the challenge is to be creative and distinguish it from the other fist icon in the list.

Excellent stuff and big thanks Jdog!!!
Cheers.

I'm not sure the MilitaryStrength variable in the INI file has any effect. I had been trying to increase the strength of barbarians but I found that there was little effect when I changed the MilitaryStrength from 1.0 to 2.0 then to 10 then to 10000. So I did an experiment:

I loaded the game with it set to 1.9 created a barb city and turned it into a civ. Out popped Peter and about 15 axemen. Then I created another city and there was Pacal II with about 10 warriors.

I exited, changed the number to 1.0 and reloaded the same game and again created the same two cities. The first yielded Peter with the same troops and the second Pacal with the same troops.

Two questions:
1. Why does changing military strength have no effect?
2. Why do such vastly different armies spawn for two barbarian civs spawned in the same turn (15 axemen vs 10 warriors)? Both civs were "military style buildup" and declared war immediately on nearby civs. Peter declared on me and the setting was Monarch, does the difficulty influence the number of units spawned to attack the human player?
My bad, the military strength variable is not connected to anything right now (as you noticed) ... must have forgotten to put it back in when I change the unit allotment method (which was a long time ago ...). I'll double check some of the other ini variables while I'm at it.

As for what units they spawn, the barb civs are still dependent on what technology they get (they ignore resources so their units aren't always the same and suck). For some reason, Pacal must not have any useful military technologies which shouldn't be the case. If you could send me the save you used to generate this I'd definitely like to see what he got only warriors. Thanks for digging around!

Excellent idea on the user interface in the city screen with the revolt status bar above the national identity bar. Looks "right" to me. Just a suggestion would be to make it obvious that you can click on the bar to bribe a city. The way to do that would be to use the same hint text format that appears in other hover pop ups. Take for example hovering over the palace. The help text in the bottom begins with an unnumbered list punctuation. You could do the same with the Revolt status bar with the help text " - click to bribe this city".

Excellent that there is an icon now top right. I guess the difficulty is that the software engineers didn't think to make the icon space expandable horizontally thus you have to put the revolt icon underneath. I wonder if the icon area is a static bitmap graphic? That would be annoying. Once the revolt icon is in-line with the others, then the challenge is to be creative and distinguish it from the other fist icon in the list.

Excellent stuff and big thanks Jdog!!!
Cheers.

Glad you like the changes ... I'll add some text so that the click to bribe function is not totally mysterious, good idea.

Top Bottom