Major Bug: Generating infinite money in any MP game

Gully

Chieftain
Hi folks,

...well, I have come over from the German Webring Civforum, just to make you know we found a major bug. As far as I can see, it works in any multiplayer game and basically generates infinite amounts of money. We tested it in a Pitboss Game with Simultaneous turns, and I just tested it in a Hot-Seat-Game with sequential turns. It just requires co-operation between at least two civs. I'll name the two civs "Sender" and "Receiver", for obvious reasons.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Explore enough of the map to contact your partner.
2. At least one of you has to research Currency.
3. When the Sender is doing his turn, turn the beaker rate to zero. Send a diplomatic-request to the Receiver, offering all your Gold per Turn incoming. Do not end your turn yet.
4. Send him another diplo-request, with all your GpT. And another... as many times as you want. Then the Sender ends his turn.
5. When it's the Receiver's turn, accept all diplo-requests.

What will happen: The Sender's economy will collapse, leading to a strike, fixing the research rate at zero and disbanding units. (You can give the Sender's units to the Receiver). But the deal stays intact and the Receiver gets huge amounts of money, depending on how many diplo-requests you sent.

We discussed this a little on this thread in German Webring Civforum, there are a few screenshots showing the effects of using this. I attached a save file of a hot-seat-match as well, so you can look at it.

I think we all agree that this is an unfair exploit and should not be used in a serious multiplayer match. We just want to spread the knowledge, so you can probably catch a cheater once this is used against you.

Attachments

• money-bug demonstration.CivBeyondSwordSave
    12 KB · Views: 259
Top Bottom