What's with all of the Elimination threads?

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
If the idea is that each thread suggests things to be taken out of the game, then if all those suggestions were heeded, the game would be down to nothing but "skin and bones" -- with a LOT of bones showing through!

If the idea is that each thread suggests things to be taken out of the game, then if all those suggestions were heeded, the game would be down to nothing but "skin and bones" -- with a LOT of bones showing through!
You are completely misinterpreting elimination threads. They are not asking "What would you delete from the game?", they are just popularity polls. "Elimination" refers to the way the voting works.

The only bad thing about these threads is that we are getting too many of them.

I think we should made an elimination thread of elimination threads.

Someone actually posted that about a month ago and received a gentle reprimand by Browd, as the mod knew it was a joke.

But I do agree with OP. The elimination threads are now becoming a bit cliched. I enjoyed UA, UB, UU, wonder and overall elimination threads but the others seem a bit pointless.

I dunno, I think they're a more fun and involved way of discussing your favorite UA, UU, UB, UI, Leaderscreen, etc. If you just asked the question directly you'd get about three answers and sink off the page. This way people get involved and try and convince others.

I dunno, I think they're a more fun and involved way of discussing your favorite UA, UU, UB, UI, Leaderscreen, etc. If you just asked the question directly you'd get about three answers and sink off the page. This way people get involved and try and convince others.

I'm ambivalent about these: I agree with GoStu but I don't like the way some folk fail to enter into the spirit and just repeatedly torpedo.

Maybe we should have a 'Poster elimination thread'? (Oops, even as I write I can already feel Browd going for the kill switch!)

:nono:

We used to disallow all elimination threads, but decided that if they're working as a vehicle for discussion, they're worthwhile. So long as they don't get too inane...

Totally accepted Sir, it was said tongue-in-cheek!

They've become too insane long ago. And I can't believe they are all unique by now... there must have been hundreds of duplicates already too as there isn't even as much to vote about as how plentiful they pop up. It's like 5 new every day... what the hell?

I think we should made an elimination thread of elimination threads.

awwww damnit, you beat me to it. But yeah, the original few where okay, as we where trying to work out the best UU's and UB's, but now they've mutated and are starting to spread! We must arm our selves in preparation for the forum epidemic!

To arms my brothers! :cowboy:

I think we're about done with them. I kidna like them; they promote discussions enough and different interpretations of various leader/ability/music. But I am pretty sure after th emusic thing it's done. Not much left to eliminate.

So long as they don't get too inane...
That ship sailed a LONG time ago...

Almost seems as if people do them for bragging rights in achieving a thread that's all but guaranteed to have pages upon pages of posts.

I could rationalize a popularity contest for overall civilization pick. UAs, UBs, UUs, and UIs would be inclusive of that, and their followup threads are unnecessary. And the ones that followed are people stretching; do we really need threads about who's picture is the best and what background music people like? And how ridiculous was the one about unique great people, with 2 options?

Since there's at least one moderator paying attention here, I'd like to propose a solution: we could use a new civ5 subforum. "strategy/tips" is supposed to be exclusively dealing with tricks, tips, maneuvers, etc. in achieving victory earlier, easier, and more dominantly. "Gen Discussion" is supposed to be about game concepts, some Q&A, and is inviting to the academic/history lesson. Both of these sub-forums contain information that's very helpful in performing better in the game, having a better understanding of the game, and becoming educated in the history incorporated into the game. Unfortunately, both forums have become insanely diluted; if someone extracted the useful information from each sub-forum, there'd probably be 4 or 5 pages of threads. As they stand, both sub-forums have hundreds (currently one has over 100 pages and the other over 500 pages) of fanboy, verbal-self-stimulation that makes tracking down the helpful/informative threads a tedious (and impractical) task.

So open a new subforum, basically "Civ5 irrelevant fanboy drivel" but something a little less off-putting, and move 90% of the other two sub-forums there.

Moderator Action: Referring to others as "fanboys" is trolling, please cease this type of drivel.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

So open a new subforum, basically "Civ5 irrelevant fanboy drivel" but something a little less off-putting, and move 90% of the other two sub-forums there.

Or the mods should just lock elimination threads and post a link to forum games, where this crap belongs.

Moderator Action: Please do not quote trolls, it only feed them.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

[...] I don't like the way some folk fail to enter into the spirit and just repeatedly torpedo.

I'm with you there. People just stating "same thing I said last time" doesn't promote any discussion.

I really liked the way that the Unit elimination thread prompted some debate about best ways to use units. It was probably the most interesting: the civilization and UA ones mostly dissolved into "science. science science science science"

Top Bottom