Best Petra City Ever

Magma_Dragoon

Reploid
Wilhem AI did this, probably the best decision he ever made. I thought about putting it in bug report forum, but it really belongs in the stupidness forum, which I can't find.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2013-11-24_00002.jpg
    2013-11-24_00002.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 1,474
The problem is you and your lack of love for sheep. Was he supposed to let them die? Let them burn in the desert like Clint Eastwood? I find your cruelty towards animals truly disturbing.

Well does he have any other desert cities?
If not it was a wise decision. Because he gets 1 extra trade route and denies the wonder to others. But if he has another desert city a significant number of desert tiles which has a high production too, then it was a stupid action.

Well does he have any other desert cities?
If not it was a wise decision. Because he gets 1 extra trade route and denies the wonder to others. But if he has another desert city a significant number of desert tiles which has a high production too, then it was a stupid action.

If instead of an extra trade route it gave 8 gold and 2 science, would you be saying that? Of course not, because it's stupid to spend that many hammers on something that gives such a small bonus.

If instead of an extra trade route it gave 8 gold and 2 science, would you be saying that? Of course not, because it's stupid to spend that many hammers on something that gives such a small bonus.
I think that's a pretty pessimistic appraisal of a trade route's value. Particularly if we're talking about a coastal capital. At any rate, I think the +1 culture, and +6 more culture at Archaeology, is worth mentioning.

I think that's a pretty pessimistic appraisal of a trade route's value. Particularly if we're talking about a coastal capital. At any rate, I think the +1 culture, and +6 more culture at Archaeology, is worth mentioning.

Point taken. Still not worth the hammers.

A free trade route, a free caravan unit, a significant culture boost and denying these important benefits to someone else...
I'm not saying that it was the best decision ever, but it's not completely unreasonable.

Worth it. AIs can afford extra hammers. Dont always think like a deity human player. On chieftain you would probly build all wonders too..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Worth it. AIs can afford extra hammers. Dont always think like a deity human player. On chieftain you would probly build all wonders too..
I agree, I might say this was a mistake if there were other wonders available to him than Petra at the time of building, but given that the gold he would have gotten by turning those 250 :c5production: into money by going into economy mode (or whatever it's called) is a whooping 68 :c5gold: it should be clear that he will get this investment back many times again over the duration of the game alone through the extra trade route.

+ 1 trade route
+ culture
+1 food and hammer on sheep --> if he build petra around t100 and the average game ends around t300, he will get about 200 hammers and 200 food. subtract the hammers from petra wonder hammers and ask the question again if AI is stupid

+ 1 trade route
+ culture
+1 food and hammer on sheep --> if he build petra around t100 and the average game ends around t300, he will get about 200 hammers and 200 food. subtract the hammers from petra wonder hammers and ask the question again if AI is stupid

I suppose, though, it depends on what else he could have built while he was building Petra.... Sometimes I've build Petra in some fairly marginal situations....nothing better to do at the time and kind of hoping I would get the gold when someone else scooped it, which didn't happen.

Once I razed an AI city in a pathetic location only to realize later it had had Petra in it....I can't really remember now, but probably there were no more than a couple of flat desert tiles....

Denying someone who built a city in the middle of a bunch of desert hills Petra is well worth the hammers spent. Enjoy your useless city :)

Even if he had a second city somewhere in the desert, those cities are usually terrible at building Petra because of their low production and when you race for Petra you don't have workshops for Hammervans.

If used right the extra trade route can bring in minimum 2000+ gold, or be used to boost population (and thus increase science/production/etc.). Plus there is the free caravan, which costs about a third of the total of Petra to build (though that's inferior to the ship, of course).

So it's not a waste in theory, depending on his other options - it would be a waste to build it instead of, say, The Colossus.

Personally, I think, because of exactly things like this, Petra should be separated into two Wonders - one, something like 'The Grand Bazaar' is basically the Colossus on land, and gives the trade route and some gold bonus. The other, Petra, gives the extra food and hammer on desert tiles, and the culture.

If used right the extra trade route can bring in minimum 2000+ gold, or be used to boost population (and thus increase science/production/etc.). Plus there is the free caravan, which costs about a third of the total of Petra to build (though that's inferior to the ship, of course).

So it's not a waste in theory, depending on his other options - it would be a waste to build it instead of, say, The Colossus.

Personally, I think, because of exactly things like this, Petra should be separated into two Wonders - one, something like 'The Grand Bazaar' is basically the Colossus on land, and gives the trade route and some gold bonus. The other, Petra, gives the extra food and hammer on desert tiles, and the culture.

Yeah...forgot about that ...the free caravan.... A big plus!!

Top Bottom