Please help out a religion dunce!

Walter R

Great Engineer
Guys,

Despite having at least 1000 hours in G&K I still don't really understand the religion mechanics. I'm not saying I don't know how to found pantheons and religions or use prophets etc. I just don't really get the following:

1. How far (as in how many hexes) religious pressure applies?
2. How long does religious pressure take to effect a citizen conversion?
3. Does the number of followers in a city affect the religious pressure?

I realise that these are probably dumb questions - here are some others...

4. Is it worth building the Grand Temple?
5. How can I see the tenets of civs that are no longer in the game? (i.e. if Attila wipes out the Celts, how do I know what tenets they chose when founding their religion?)

Please can someone help me with these?

I might as well answer the questions, just for FYI

1. 10 hexes without the extended range belief, with extended range belief, it is 13. With Brave New World, religion can spread via Spies Reformation Belief in cities outside the range, as well as trade routes that lie outside the range will start spreading religion.

2. That, I don't know, but I believed it's faster in "atheist" followers.

3. No, it is only the "majority" religions that do, i.e the icons, if City A has an Islamic icon, then it will begin exerting pressure, the more cities within the range the stronger the range.

4. Depends, I guess it only ensures your own religion's pressure within the range of the Holy City, but it does provide a big boost of Faith per turn. and counts towards several tenets in the Ideologies (BNW) stuff

5. I don't think Firaxis accordingly designed the Religion Overview for that matter, so there's no proper way to observe the changes.

#2 Direct function of how much pressure. Also as above, if its only pantheon present, its faster than if there's a competing religion.

#4 Playing tall; yup; 2X from the capital will help insure that your cities would naturally continue to follow your religion. (Now you still need to park Inquisitors to keep the AI from converting your cities though)

#5 If you happen to found or enhance a religion after the wipe out occurs, you might be able to deduce it by missing choices to chose from with no apparent reason.

Guys,

Despite having at least 1000 hours in G&K I still don't really understand the religion mechanics. I'm not saying I don't know how to found pantheons and religions or use prophets etc. I just don't really get the following:

1. How far (as in how many hexes) religious pressure applies?
2. How long does religious pressure take to effect a citizen conversion?
3. Does the number of followers in a city affect the religious pressure?

I realise that these are probably dumb questions - here are some others...

4. Is it worth building the Grand Temple?
5. How can I see the tenets of civs that are no longer in the game? (i.e. if Attila wipes out the Celts, how do I know what tenets they chose when founding their religion?)

Please can someone help me with these?

1) Ten hexes, improvable to thirteen with one of the Enhancer beliefs. (that one's my preferred Enhancer as I find it more useful than Religious Texts)

2) I've seen the formula for it, but I'm still fuzzy on the actual workings of it. Pressure is cumulative, with all passive (+XX/turn) and missionary (+1000 or w/e) added for all religions and then believers divided by sum of the pressure.

The three big points to take from it are
  1. Missionaries are FAR more effective when a city is 'fresh'.
  2. Inquisitors clear basically all the pressure, making the conversion much faster and back-and-forth.
  3. Prophets act as a combined Inquisitor and Missionary, and can be used against foreign cities to 'clean' them for conversion.

3) I don't think it does, other than if the city has a Majority or not.

4) In my opinion, if you're in a position to build it you might as well. It's an extra 8 Faith, and if you're playing religious you probably have the Temples anyways.

5) I go to the "Beliefs" tab, and sort by religion. You can then cross-check that against the World Religions tabs to see who founded which one.

As a footnote to 4), if you play the arabs, you definitely have to build the Grand temple. As they spread religion at double strength with trade routes, if you have the grand temple, you'll be able to have a huge spread of religion with trade routes from your holy city.

Top Bottom