The Deity Challenge Line-up #35 - Siam OCC

T217 Domination

I very much appreciated your write-up!

The positives were:
- Happiness when conquering was not a problem.
- Auto-razing cities crippled AIs immedately, and all of their former lands were immediately pillageable afterwards.

I think OCC might actually make DOM easier on balance.

The unit cap was by far the biggest problem.

Agreed. Your opening Tradition to get Hanging Gardens was brilliant. I never can war fast enough, but this one tip is almost enough to make me want to reply this map!

Although I grew my capital as much as I could I was at -70% production for the last 50 turns of the game. I couldn't see any way around this and lots of unit purchasing was necessary.

If you have your economy in order, and you are buying all the units you need, I suppose production being at -100% would not matter? I never had enough money and I let the unit cap hold me back.

You have to go back to the capital to upgrade units.

This was a huge pain point for me.

Tradition 1 for the auto growth to the desert hills and HG.
Honour 6 because Dom.

I argue vigorously that opening Tradition before Honor or Liberty just sets back your larger objectives -- but for OCC snagging HG is crucial. I did not get it in any of my plays!

Thanks, if they're appreciated then I'll keep them coming! I'm having real trouble with the Assyrian one, no real surprise there.

With Honour gold/pillaging/Commerce discount/city capture gold, you should be able to purchase one cav/arty per turn. This does make hammers less important, but since OCC empires can only buy one unit per turn (except emergency Landsknechts), it's important to still have some hammers to crank out an average of 1.2-1.4 units per turn. 1 per turn simply may not cut it vs. multiple deity AIs; I was able to be a little more reckless with more cav blockers, meaning a faster finish.

Having to go back to the capital to upgrade is painful, but if you start to war with cav/arties (or just before them like I did) then it's such a long time until the next upgrades; aim to finish the map with them or risk a long run home for tanks/rocket artilleries. OCC Dom also has to do it without aircraft, so again ending it before those has it's merits because beelining anti air guns isn't a great tech path.

I'm normally able to take the Tradition opener before Honour/Commerce, and not by getting the Oracle. I rely heavily on cultural CSs, keeping units near them for barb quests/killing nearby barbs and sinking gold into them when necessary. Once my first spy is level 3, I coup them until he dies; first cultural then happiness ones. This, coupled with the World's Fair, should complete Commerce in time to solve happiness issues.

Occ can use airforce but you need a coastal capital to buy the carriers (not the case on this map) .. And you can (eventually) buy up to 10 air units per turn assuming the unit limit cap allows and the carriers are in range to offload (5 planes per).

I've never tried OCC domination yet :)

True I forgot about carriers because I rarely play those eras. Hopefully the next OCC map will have a coastal start to give that a go.

I'd be interested to see your take on an OCC Dom peddroelm, give it a go some time :)

Let me know if this works for you.

Attachments

• DCL 35 Siam OCC.Civ5Save
    512.5 KB · Views: 164
Oh I played this map already. Just needed the number of downloads bit to update in the spreadsheet :)

The save has disappeared?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, why in hell is the egypt map classified as easy lol.

Because there is a good chance of DF and zero chance of a threatening DoW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T251 Diplomatic Victory

That takes a decent chunk off my previous best/fastest Diplo win of 288.
My first two attempts, I got 3/4 of Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, Petra, and Desert Folklore, missing Petra on one and pantheon/religion completely on the other. Being greedy, I made a third attempt to get all 4 (by T71), which made for a pretty strong city. The only other turn times I noted were National College T86 and Ideology Choice T182. I went Order, figuring that would be the easiest to pass.

Religions was DF, Tithe (very helpful!), Swords into Plowshares, Divine Inspiration (2 from wonders), and Messiah. With the other 4 religions all founded to the West, I used 3 prophets and 3 missionaries (from wonder) to spread to the East, starting with the middle cities to set up somewhat of a barrier and working East from there. I let religion spread passively after that. With over 4,000 faith left at the end, I probably could have used it better as I only bought 1 GE and 2 GS; I also had 1 GS that I never used.

3 different civs DOWed me, with troops entering my territory, but it was never the strongest ones as I made a point of being on good terms with them. First DOW was a silly forward settler with out of date units. Next two were stronger and coordinated, but their timing was poor and they brought their remaining units back home to deal with other wars before doing any real damage to me, other than killing my caravans and I think just 1 unit.

Spoiler :

Strange game for me. I got ToA, HG, and Petra without bribing any wars and having no workers. I couldn't steal any workers till around turn 80 when the Celts settled next to me for some reason. I did get to block settlers of Germany and Morocco along with that one from the Celts for a good while but eventually they all got to settle in. Germany played the way I think Germany should play and wiped pretty much half of the map out early. Morocco oddly enough crushed his side and Germany was trying to take over the world as I got away on the Space Shuttle.

I never lost the Tech lead and was in no jeopardy of losing the whole game. It seems that if you keep giving your neighbors five gpt every so often they just don't attack you. I ended up choosing Freedom and sticking with it. Alex went Freedom as well but the Ideologies were a mixed bag and I was late to the party but first to Freedom which is nice.

I am not sure I would count this game as a win since it seems Germany should of been able to win any VC he chose but that is just the way this game goes. Easy to knock out OCC games in a few hours which is nice but OCC is kinda dull but at least it is fast compared to my Domination games that take about 300 turns.

I only got to get sun god panth for a little while until I was converted a few times of different religions, but in the end Morocco's Church was the strongest for most of us.

Attachments

• Siam OCC.jpg
    Siam OCC.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 187
wow, that must have been tense! Good job

When Germany started to denounce me about every 7 turns I did get a little worried since it seemed they took out the West and Morocco didn't put up a very good fight either but it seems every time he denounced me I just gave him 5gpt and he let me live :)

I did get to nukes around 30 turns before him so I am sure that helped as well.

Somehow the OCC seem to be the most easiest of all games .... Made a big mistake with wrong timing to finish rationalism. I reached information age 1 turn after the last world congress so that I had to wait 30 turns :( Without that I could have finished 20 turns earlier.

Nevermind, it worked out :)

Spoiler :

Nice play Adre.

I would note we still only one DOM VC example. Can no one replicated Bimblecrumbs success?

I did try, but failed miserably. Still, war is quite different, so I would encourage folks to experiment with that at least.

For DOM VC, I think one only needs to hit each AI civ once, and that if they rebuild a city using the caps old name that does not matter. Can anyone confirm?

I believe the OP has uploaded too many attachments and got deleted. Here is the starting save:

Attachments

• DCL #35 - Ramkhamhaeng.Civ5Save
    512.5 KB · Views: 144
Top Bottom