Liberty Wide Game Guide (Acken's version)

I think IRL Rome rolled a salt start, not tundra!

As far as I can remember I rolled quite a few maps for this one as well before getting a decently crappy one and what comes to spreading out I think there was room enough but not so much luxes & defending on two continents is tricky especially when possibly attacking on the 3rd. India shared the mainland but wasn't reachable with ease without a long & costly road.
There has been much better maps for wide Liberty in the series regardless of the Civ. The infamous Polynesia map is one those for example - solitude for the 1st 120 or so turns. The very easy Spain was another one where possible lack of happiness can be effectively compensated by strong religion.

FWIW, the Rome and Polynesia DCL maps are both at the top of my “to do” list, as they seem quite interesting! I would be playing them only after reading all the spoilers though. In general, I think Rome is a good candidate for wide peaceful Liberty play, and this guide in particular. Would you disagree that this guide should work fine for the Rome DCL map?

But, (1) as Acken himself pointed out, this guide is not well suited for an early era UU rush; and (2) if you want to wreak havoc with an early UU on Deity, you really should be looking for an above average start. The Rome DCL map is clearly below average.

Surely the wide Liberty works on the Rome DCL fine but it is not the easiest to do so by any means. In case someone wants to try I highly suggest settling on the coast and not like I did, inlands but as I stated then my motives for that were opposite of looking for a better spot for the capital.

I got a great map for liberty with Inca where I believe a sub 200 would be possible. Not at home at the moment, but if you are interested I can look through my saves and upload it.

GL HF.

Gonna post my thoughts:

Spoiler :
I think a lot of options are viable on this map, from Pietyopener --> into Liberty(6) or standard 4 city Tradition, or 6 city Tradition with Piety opener to spam out Shrines and get your religion going.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 - 4000 v. Chr..Civ5Save
    547.3 KB · Views: 302
To be honest I think Rome really got shafted in the BNW expansion. The removal of river gold tiles means you cant build roads easily and it makes it harder to pay for building and unit maintenance. Rome by design needs a LOT of gpt to function optimally but the current gold mechanics make that very imbalanced.

Most expo's struggle to make more than 3gpt early on so that only covers the bare essentials.

Markets are by and large useless because you only earn about 2gpt from them which is not much considering the 100 hammer cost.

it says Mayan Deity when I opened as a text file, are you sure it's the one?

To be honest I think Rome really got shafted in the BNW expansion. The removal of river gold tiles means you cant build roads easily and it makes it harder to pay for building and unit maintenance.
OTOH, with BNW one builds roads later, so the timing for using the UU for that role works out better. So maybe one or two fewer workers than you would typically need? Yes, it is harder than it was to pay building maintenance, and the UA means you are getting buildings faster. But I think prioritizing markets and harbors can make up for that. But to be honest, I have not played Rome much.

Please include the T0 screen shot as well.

Ohh yeah sry I always mix up Maya and Inca, it's Maya. I'm not at home can't open Civ for a while to add a screen.

OTOH, with BNW one builds roads later, so the timing for using the UU for that role works out better. So maybe one or two fewer workers than you would typically need? Yes, it is harder than it was to pay building maintenance, and the UA means you are getting buildings faster. But I think prioritizing markets and harbors can make up for that.

But markets and harbors don't solve the problem - they come too late to help with early gold. Rome's whole playstyle revolves around rapid expansion and building lots of early roads and buildings.
The UUs make it favorable for early war but then you can't trade for gold so you're really shafted.

Liberty really doesn't have much room for error does it. When things go wrong, they are hard to come back from and probably impossible on Immortal and Deity. I can turn around any game on Emperor and below, but one screw up on those two settings and it's only a matter of time before I lose all of my cities.

Please include the T0 screen shot as well.
Here (hope NiSaSh won't mind)
Spoiler :

Also for those who don't have map packs. I "fixed" the buggy headers pretending i need those DLC to open a basic Pangaea map :badcomp:
Here is the "corrected" file :smug:

Starting location looks nice but
Spoiler :
Only 4 unique Luxes so not sure it's well suited to a wide game

Liberty really doesn't have much room for error does it. When things go wrong, they are hard to come back from and probably impossible on Immortal and Deity. I can turn around any game on Emperor and below, but one screw up on those two settings and it's only a matter of time before I lose all of my cities.
Immortal have some room for some errors. Deity not so much. I think you are right that Liberty is harder than tradition not because it's weaker but because you have to be very careful going wide. It's easy to drop into unhappiness sink. It's easy to over-expand and get wiped by your angry neighbors (especially without Oligarchy to help defend your cities). It's easy to have crappy cities that end up being a drain to your economy. I think Acken's guide does a great job of explaining how to avoid those pitfalls.

Thank you! This guide helped me to finish my first Deity win. I used wide Liberty for the opening and the small Piety diplomacy guide for diplo victory specifics. Vote for Pedro, turn 312.

I tried this guide but was detoured by like turn 30, I did with a few mods including playing as the Virginia civilization. I wonder if THAT is why it failed?

just came back to the game after a long break and started a game on deity as i have troubles winning deity games, randomed mayas which i like a lot and remembered of acken's DCL mayas culture wide game and this guide, tryed it.

my though, it's super strong so far, but god my neighbours hate me so much, when i settled my 6th city both japan and zulus' declared war, the cities close to them are pretty easy to defend but that's still pretty hard to handle them both...
i allmost got to engineering before NC... that sounds really strange but ended pretty well, 38 beakers before NC was pretty insane (t87 6city NC).

I got Lucky the map fits the playstyle really well, tons of pastures and luxuries, 6 uniques for 6 cities, managed to get last religion but wont help much cause askia allready have most cities converted and my faith output isnt so great.

I'll see if i finally manage to win a deity game with this strategy but i'm not sure i'll handle thoose stupid barbarian neighbours, zulu japan + askia as closest neighbours is pretty scary.

Thx for the guide, i'll prob play this style again because it is lot of fun and feel really rewarding.

Yes like suggested in the possible issues section you may face angry neighbours. There are not many options to deal with it. Offering stuffe can help you at least get some positiv opinion modifier toward one or more. Make sure to do it before ending your turn if you do though.

The reason why you should do it before ending a turn is because once the ai changes its approach towards you it is hardr to get out of it.

The reason why you should do it before ending a turn is because once the ai changes its approach towards you it is hardr to get out of it.
That is good point about the AI attitude being turned based! In a single turn, you can denounce then trade at full value. One might have to expect to do the trade before denouncing, but it does not matter.

Top Bottom