New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I have absolutely no problem with there being 20 pages of literature in his NES's updates. If you haven't noticed, however, there is a shortage of active updating NESes available for player consumption. Perhaps it's because mods believe they have to live up to this standard.

I'm saying this: Sure you can do it this way, but you have low probability to succeed without extreme drive shown by North King. There are other ways a NES can succeed that are easier than this, however, and to set up a NES in a more light hearted style is not an atrocious abomination. It can be very successful.

Further, I provided examples of very successful NESes that were quite a bit more light hearted than NESers today believe their NESes have to be. Is North King's NES bad? No. Are there easier ways of achieving success? YES! Will you be told your NES is hideous because you're not giving 20 pages of literature per update? Maybe if you talk to Luckymoose, but who cares! People will join and have fun in your NES regardless.

I have absolutely no problem with there being 20 pages of literature in his NES's updates. If you haven't noticed, however, there is a shortage of active updating NESes available for player consumption. Perhaps it's because mods believe they have to live up to this standard.

I'm saying this: Sure you can do it this way, but you have low probability to succeed without extreme drive shown by North King. There are other ways a NES can succeed that are easier than this, however, and to set up a NES in a more light hearted style is not an atrocious abomination. It can be very successful.

Further, I provided examples of very successful NESes that were quite a bit more light hearted than NESers today believe their NESes have to be. Is North King's NES bad? No. Are there easier ways of achieving success? YES! Will you be told your NES is hideous because you're not giving 20 pages of literature per update? Maybe if you talk to Luckymoose, but who cares! People will join and have fun in your NES regardless.

Why do we need a dozen NESes? How could you possibly play in so many and give each the attention they deserve? I was here back in the day, and I don't wish to return to that state of our hobby. A light-hearted NES is different from one with no character, no substance. It is clear by the types of NESes being developed and run, that we have moved on from ye olden times. Perhaps you should just buckle down and join End of Empires or something? It'll be around after this obsession with nostalgia has passed.

Why do we need a dozen NESes? How could you possibly play in so many and give each the attention they deserve? I was here back in the day, and I don't wish to return to that state of our hobby. A light-hearted NES is different from one with no character, no substance. It is clear by the types of NESes being developed and run, that we have moved on from ye olden times. Perhaps you should just buckle down and join End of Empires or something? It'll be around after this obsession with nostalgia has passed.

See now you're blatantly attacking good old NESes that people (Including you, btw) had plenty of fun with. Excuse me if I don't get why you're so hostile to having many NESes with plenty of players that are happily writing stories and having a good time.

There is no returning to that state for this community, but what's the harm in having some of those style NESes come back? None. It would only make the community more healthy.

It is clear by the lack of NESes being developed and run, that we might have scared people away from creating their own NESes. We being the community. If bringing back light hearted easily updated NESes fixes this problem, then fantastic!

And I'm not exactly sure what your agenda is. Do you want us to all consolidate into End of Empires, and that be the only NES available? Your question "Why do we need a dozen NESes" is ridiculous. If you want to only play in one NES that's your prerogative, and at the rate End of Empires updates you could join 3 or 4 more NESes to fill time.

I couldn't join End of Empires if I wanted to, but I do enjoy reading it. I would pull my hair out waiting for updates.

I end with this message to you, LuckyMoose. "Why you hef to be mad? It's just game.", and my nostalgia will never pass. Too many good stories to look back on.

See now you're blatantly attacking good old NESes that people (Including you, btw) had plenty of fun with. Excuse me if I don't get why you're so hostile to having many NESes with plenty of players that are happily writing stories and having a good time.

Because there is a difference in the amount of time it takes to produce stories, content, and orders for NESes today, than it was then. We're not all teenagers anymore, in fact most of us are college students or graduates who cannot possibly maintain the same level of quality across even a half-dozen NESes. Three seems to be about the limit, and even then one or two of those will suffer from a lack of attention.

I might have enjoyed those NESes when I was a teenager, but my tastes evolved with my education and honing of creativity. I no longer care for those old style NESes, and I can't name many around who do.

There is no returning to that state for this community, but what's the harm in having some of those style NESes come back? None. It would only make the community more healthy.

Well, what is the harm in not having them? What do they add besides a divide in the community that shows some people would not prefer what the rest of us are doing? How would it make us healthier to throw away years of improvement to indulge ourselves in nostalgia?

It is clear by the lack of NESes being developed and run, that we might have scared people away from creating their own NESes. We being the community. If bringing back light hearted easily updated NESes fixes this problem, then fantastic!

Or maybe our community is more focused? Maybe we have less active people who wish to put their time and effort into lasting experiences of quality, rather than passing fancies?

And I'm not exactly sure what your agenda is. Do you want us to all consolidate into End of Empires, and that be the only NES available? Your question "Why do we need a dozen NESes" is ridiculous. If you want to only play in one NES that's your prerogative, and at the rate End of Empires updates you could join 3 or 4 more NESes to fill time.

I couldn't join End of Empires if I wanted to, but I do enjoy reading it. I would pull my hair out waiting for updates.

I definitely do not wish for us all to consolidate into End of Empires, for I have my own NES that I wish for you to be sucked in when I get around to kicking off the update cycle. I do not wish to play in only one NES, but there aren't many NESes that I trust to be of a quality worth my commitment.

At the rate EoE updates, I barely have enough time to do stories and orders to the quantity and quality of my liking.

Why can't you join it? Are you afraid you won't fit in to such a NES as it isn't the classic style you're so dedicated to digging up and reviving? It isn't like you have much better to do but complain about them.

I end with this message to you, LuckyMoose. "Why you hef to be mad? It's just game.", and my nostalgia will never pass. Too many good stories to look back on.

Well, it isn't a "game" to me. It is a collaborative storytelling experience, not some RISKesque game of units and colors on a map. And what good stories? I honestly can't remember any NESes from your heyday that would register as anything remotely close to a good story.

The message you espouse is similar to a political agenda based around idealizing the 1950s in the United States. Our beginnings weren't good, and neither were the 50s. Get over it. :)

I don't really understand what the argument is about, here. No-one seems to be saying that good-quality NESes should stop; no-one seems to be saying that high-frequency NESes should stop either. There is no apparent reason to suppose there isn't room for both, and no-one's trying to shut down Amon's NES or NK's. Obviously some people like one sort, some the other - and that's inevitable, isn't it?

I don't really understand what the argument is about, here. No-one seems to be saying that good-quality NESes should stop; no-one seems to be saying that high-frequency NESes should stop either. There is no apparent reason to suppose there isn't room for both, and no-one's trying to shut down Amon's NES or NK's. Obviously some people like one sort, some the other - and that's inevitable, isn't it?
Apparently that isn't enough to stop this futile and nonsensical arguing.

Who are you to drag us back into the abyss of olden times, where NESes were competitive war games driven only by bizarre ignorance of humanity, history, and creativity?

Uh I'm not sure that's his agenda.

EDIT: Ok now I've read onwards. All Amon argues for is room for more lighthearted NESes, and I personally don't see the problem with that. You seem to think it's inappropriate for the forum. I don't. And I hope that in the chance of a thread being opened that it can flourish in appreciation and protection of the Mods.

Stop having fun, guys. NESing is SRS BSNS! College grads only.

Stop having fun, guys. NESing is SRS BSNS! People with the maturity of college grads only.

Ftfy.

What is this thing you call "fun"? These emotions are a foreign concept for me.

Stop having fun, guys. NESing is SRS BSNS! College grads only.

+100

I'm here to chew bubble gum, and take fun out of NESing... And I'm all out of gum. :blush: - LuckyMoose

Einz volk, einz reich, einz NES! :aargh: - LuckyMoose

Moderator Action: Trolling, even after getting in trouble for trolling in another thread earlier in the day, is not the best idea.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

+100

I'm here to chew bubble gum, and take fun out of NESing... And I'm all out of gum. :blush: - LuckyMoose

Einz volk, einz reich, einz NES! :aargh: - LuckyMoose

Luckymoose is not capitalized that way. How hard is it to look at my username?

Secondly, I'm not reducing, removing, or repulsing the fun in NESing. However, I do believe such continued nostalgia for cripplingly atrocious NESes as the ones you suggest would suck the fun out of NESing, but not IOT. Have you tried their subforum? It is more attuned to your tastes, it seems, for simple and carefree gaming.

You're addorable.

"Your kind aint welcome here no more. You'd better keep walking." - Luckymoose

Quit being so negative. NESes don't have to take the shape you want them to. It is OK if they take shapes that you don't accept.

You're addorable.

"Your kind aint welcome here no more. You'd better keep walking." - Luckymoose

Quit being so negative. NESes don't have to take the shape you want them to. It is OK if they take shapes that you don't accept.

I'm allowed to be negative, cause unlike you I've been an active member of this community all the way through and am not decrying the development and work put in here. Refrain from making false quotations under my name, if you will. And the spelling is adorable.

Moderator Action: You are indeed allowed to be negative, but you can not break the rules of this site by trolling or flaming other members in either forum (NES or IOT). Longevity in this forum has no real bearing other than to re-enforce or bolster your opinion. Your opinion carries no more or less weight than anyone else's.

Moderator Action: Need I remind everyone that the same standard as in the WWW thread applies here as well? Lighten up on the direct personal attacks and troling/flaming.

Not every NES will appeal to everyone, and I'm okay with that.

Would I join an NES that has weekly, one page updates? Nah, I'm looking for something more in depth than that.

Would I care that one's running? Not really; it's a free forum!

So can we all agree to the fact that there's different ways to skin a warthog, and go back to our respective warthog skinning methods? And if someone wants to explain why they're doing this nonsense a certain way, don't tell them "baaaaaaaaah spreadsheets are HORRIBLE", just ignore their NES. It ain't that hard. Goodness knows I'm ignoring a whole bunch at present.

More of you should share this attitude. ;)

And I hope that in the chance of a thread being opened that it can flourish in appreciation and protection of the Mods.

Absolutely.

And with regards to spreadsheets - If they are done right they will only increase the effectiveness of GMs. If they are not done right....

EDIT: removed... oops...

After watching a documentary called "Evacuate Earth," I thought that the scenario they built would be more than suitable for a StoryNES. For those that are not familiar with this proposed future, it revolves around humanity being forced to leave earth or become extinct. The premise for annihilation that they provide seems highly unlikely to me (Involved a rogue neutron star tearing apart the solar system), but one could be substituted.

Here is what the proposed idea could be:

The year is 2119. Having left Earth for a far away star in 2093, humanity has been speeding through empty space for a quarter of a century. The first generation of space-born humans are at maturity, leaving a wide variety of possibilities open for them.

Spoiler :
An example of the ship, called "The Ark," that was built by humanity in the documentary. The ship was built at two miles wide in diameter and fifteen miles long.

The ship was propelled by a multitude of nuclear blasts set off a distance from the end of the spacecraft. These blasts in theory thrust the ship forward, reaching a peak speed of about 7-9% the speed of light.

The insides of the ship are used for habitation. The large cylinder structure spins at a tangential velocity that replicates the gravity of Earth. Inside are millions of tons of soil and water that sustain a population of nearly a quarter of a million.

Spoiler :

During the course of this journey to another earth, many scenarios could arise from the confined space of this spacecraft. This could vary from gang-type factions dominating the streets, an unknown (or known) virus could plague the community, interstellar radiation might leak into the ship and cause havoc, communications with an alien civilization might occur, or even finding the planet they were heading for completely uninhabitable or inhabited by a hostile to humans biosphere. Many interesting events are possible.

I do not have the time to produce such an NES, nor would I want my inexperience with modding tarnishing such an idea. I would much like to see this or a related NES arise from this though.

Top Bottom