Unable to play Civ V in dx11

Tuco Ramirez

Chieftain
I've read on the forums that other players are experiencing similar problems, having fair and good systems specs, which should be able to play this game using dx11.
But no matter how many times I shut down and 'reload' the steam thingy, the dx10-11 thingy remains greyed out or simply not available.

I have an ATI 5870 card and I'm using Win 7 64, and all drivers are up 2 date, so that can't possibly be the problem - anyone got any clues ?
:confused:

I've read on the forums that other players are experiencing similar problems, having fair and good systems specs, which should be able to play this game using dx11.
But no matter how many times I shut down and 'reload' the steam thingy, the dx10-11 thingy remains greyed out or simply not available.

I have an ATI 5870 card and I'm using Win 7 64, and all drivers are up 2 date, so that can't possibly be the problem - anyone got any clues ?
:confused:

Try makign a shortcut directly to "Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization v/CivilizationV_DX11.exe" and running that.

Haven't tried it myself, but it might work.

Try makign a shortcut directly to "Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization v/CivilizationV_DX11.exe" and running that.

Haven't tried it myself, but it might work.
Alright, I'll try that. :)

Well, I may be blind or just tired from staying up all night, but that directory is nowhere found - Steam must have hidden it...

Do you know where steam is installed? If you don't...

Run civ5, and right-click on the dx9 option, and make a shortcut.

Then go to your desktop and right-click on the shortcut. The path to civ will be there. modify it so it points at the dx11 version.

I found the Steam directory along with all the other files and the Civ V dx 11 shortcut, but when I doubleclick it - it opens the 'dx9 and dx11' startup, but the dx11 startup is still greyed out... Seems dx9 is the only sollution for my dx11 gfx - fan-f*cking-tastic. :(

HEre's the solution. Steam is most likely running in Compatibility mode.

1. Quit out of Steam.

2. Right-click on the Steam.exe application (found in the Steam installation folder) and select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab.

3. At the bottom of this tab is a button called "Change Settings for All Users". Click it.

4. Change the compatibility mode to AT LEAST "Windows Vista Service Pack 2".

5. Relaunch Steam.

This should correct this particular problem for you. When you install steam on 64-bit system, or on a different drive than "C", Steam will sometimes relegate itself to "Compatibility Mode" which can cause bad things to happen.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any problems.

HEre's the solution. Steam is most likely running in Compatibility mode.

1. Quit out of Steam.

2. Right-click on the Steam.exe application (found in the Steam installation folder) and select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab.

3. At the bottom of this tab is a button called "Change Settings for All Users". Click it.

4. Change the compatibility mode to AT LEAST "Windows Vista Service Pack 2".

5. Relaunch Steam.

This should correct this particular problem for you. When you install steam on 64-bit system, or on a different drive than "C", Steam will sometimes relegate itself to "Compatibility Mode" which can cause bad things to happen.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any problems.
Omfg! (Pardon my greek)

It works! :D

Thanx a lot dshirk! :)

didn't work for me. As far as I can tell, I have compatibility mode disabled, although Steam tried real hard to force it at the same time as saying that you shouldn't run it in compatibility mode.

The problem I have is that when I download the latest ATI drivers via Steam and install them, DX 11 works fine (apart from some late-game wierdness with route-setting). Next time I boot, though, it goes back to crashing on launch, so I have to go back to DX9.

(It's a Radeon HD 5700 series on a Win7/64 PC)

Top Bottom