Realism Invictus

He has flank attack against artillery and killed best piece of artillery on first attack ignoring 6 full health spears? How can Longbow protect me from something like that? Could it be because of protect valuable units option chcecked? Great Bombard was lowest level of them all

Egyptian Mamluk Horse archers are ranged mounted units thus the only real counter Celtic have at that time are archery units (ideally with patrols promotions). Fianna units don't have inherited bonuses vs ranged mounted units, have one less power, and horse archers have +50% vs melee units. Against inexperienced horse archers Fianna can defend well only in forests/jungles if they have full woodsman promotion tree and a pair of power promotions.

P.S. flanking damage explained: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7509341&postcount=14

I do understand there are better units to defend against Mamluk HA but there is nothing that could prevent me from losing Great Bombard to them, there is no counter to this artillery killer tacs?

EDIT : Ahha, having better defender unit against cavalry will decrease strenght of cavalry flank attack then. I do understand now

I do understand there are better units to defend against Mamluk HA but there is nothing that could prevent me from losing Great Bombard to them, there is no counter to this artillery killer tacs?

There is a counter: very powerful defenders. See the link above.

Playing 3.3 version (not svn) I am experiencing total kills of my artillery by Egyptian Mamluk Horse archers. I am protecting my stack with level 6 Fianna (great spearmen) yet one piece of cavalry hits me once and my world unit Great Bombard is no more :cry: how can I protect my artillery from this? This doesn`t feel right. It wasn`t even wounded

Yeah, this is most likely a bug.
I guess the others didn't read your post thouroughly, but it was only one attacking horse archer if I get it right.
IMO the artillery units should never be the first ones to defend, it should be your Fianna units in the stack.
Probably the developers forgot to adjust a value for that special world wonder bombard unit.

Yes there was no damaged Fianna after Mamluk HA killed of my Great Bombard

Yeah, one thing is certain, there is no flanking damage involved in this situation.
It's a different question whether the devs want that unit to be first one to defend in a stack, or not.
As I said, I would never allow artillery to defend first, they are simply not meant for that.
Also that specific world wonder unit is simply too valuable for that IMO.
Walter Hawkwood and the others might have something different in mind though.

Anyway, that's the thing. Alexey had poor defenders so the game calculated that the great bombard was the best unit to defend.

As I said, I would never allow artillery to defend first, they are simply not meant for that.
Also that specific world wonder unit is simply too valuable for that IMO.
Even if it has great odds of winning?

Even if it has great odds of winning?

It's a matter of personal preference, but yeah, not even when those have bigger chance than the other units in the stack.
Actually I wouldn't set it up this way in the first place. I guess this wouldn't happen with "normal" bombards, only with the special WW bombard unit, as it's probably stronger than it's basic version.
But I don't want to get into balancing, obviously the developers know it much better than me, as they see their mod as a whole.

Yes there was no damaged Fianna after Mamluk HA killed of my Great Bombard

If you saved the turn earlier. Try going into the game editor an turning on "protect valuable units" and see if that makes any difference, however that may only protect highly promoted units that are injured and not wonder units. I'm not 100% sure on how that option is implemented.

This is where we struggled to make Austronesia actually do something in the World Map. For some unfathomable reason they usually just sit there with one city almost indefinitely. Changing a leader was a part of my efforts to nudge them, largely unsuccessfully.

Yeah, I think you can fix that by splitting up the outrigger. Make one a transport, one that the AI will never use for anything other than transport, and then make the outrigger have no cargo bay. Right now, I think, the AI only gives the outrigger a naval explore or naval defense AI.

Civilopedia states there is limit of 2 national wonders per city. Is this true? Seems there is higher limit or unlimited? If there is limit, those NW from civics counts too? And only when they are active or even if they are disabled by changing civic?

Civilopedia states there is limit of 2 national wonders per city. Is this true? Seems there is higher limit or unlimited? If there is limit, those NW from civics counts too? And only when they are active or even if they are disabled by changing civic?

No. There's no limit. The statement is just left-over from vanilla civ, where such a limit exists.

Thanks. I am playing Russia, in forest enviroment they have plenty hammers from lovischche which is fantastic. Best production oriented civ I encountered so far. Is there some other civ that can have great production using certain civics, buildings combined with improvements?

EDIT : Why formation upgrade +25% vs charge mounted unit is not included in mouseover stats of Fusilier and Irregulars? Cant find the reason

A little praise - this mod is a hidden jewel, one of the best 4x games there is.

It should be picked up by someone and released as a standalone game, (under a new engine, 64bit and multithreaded, but even the gfx are fine as is) it is a great improvement over BTS. I did remove the unit cost overhead, but other than that - the concepts have been impressively developed and in a very good direction. (I used to play 3.2 and switched to 3.3 before the current game - did 54 hrs, on the largest map, emperor level - it is just brilliant)

I am curious to see last implemented unit role system live in action. I think it will define unit cost modifier for each class and player.

Being rather big changes i will test it once the data is set on world map large and huge.

Top Bottom