Realism Invictus

@bras0778

This isn't a fault that only affects this mod, in fact it even affect vanilla BtS...possibly even vanilla civ4 and is mostly down to the game engine. Personally I don't hold the team behind this mod responsible nor expect them to give a warning. From previous experience i have foudn that the bigger the mod and the more you try to get it to do (more features, bigger maps, more civs ETC) the more likely a MAF is.

The fact that the team have given any help at all to help those of us who are affected by MAF issues is a blessing, the mod most certainly isn't 64-bit only and works well enough on win XP laptop if I keep within certain limits (e.g. nothing bigger than a standard map)

As pointed above, it is not a 64-bit only mod. It works reasonably well with 32-bit systems (I play MP with my friend who uses 32-bit XP), but 32-bit systems need to use the 32-bit fix and refrain from using too large maps (although with the fix applied, even a huge map can be played on 32-bit systems until about Renaissance).

Hello all,

I'm the oldest (surviving) member of TR/RI Team. I use the same machine since i've started modding on civ 4, on september 2006. :eek:

My machine:
- 3 Ghz CPU.
- XP professional
- 32-bit
- video card: GForce 6800
- etc.
In one word, I have a 2006 machine. Not a NASA PC as you can read. :p

I know about the civ4 engine problem so i don't use the biggest map, the biggest mod, etc. This is a real limit to civ4 fans. We've tried to give players some solutions to avoid MAFs but we can't do more.

Belive me, it's a big problem when you are a modder. You can't test all the features you add. You have to find testers with "big and strong" PC.

I ask you to read Walter's post about the MAF and 32-bit machine. It can be helpful. :)

RI isn't a 64-bit only mod at all. It can be played on 32-bit machine too but take care of the map size, number of players, etc.

Enjoy,

Hian the Frog.

My only suggestion is you give 32 bit users a large, not huge map to play from. A section of the world that could contain up to 9-12 civs. I have a feeling more people would be playing with this map, instead of the 64 bit huge world map. Just a suggestion, take it at that. :cool:

Thank you for putting up the alternative download to the installer. I'm up and running and having a blast! I find your mod team neither unreasonable nor impolite - in fact I see it quite the opposite.

The mod is a great complement to some of the other epic ones - I am a larger map fan, so the late game memory issues with the Warlords version were somewhat aggrevating, and the BTS version is great to have. I did find it ironic that bras0778 complained about something that your team was actually addressing for many folks by creating Invictus. Thanks again!

The mod is a great complement to some of the other epic ones - I am a larger map fan, so the late game memory issues with the Warlords version were somewhat aggrevating, and the BTS version is great to have. I did find it ironic that bras0778 complained about something that your team was actually addressing for many folks by creating Invictus. Thanks again!

Please keep in mind though that if you are still running 32-bit, BtS does not make memory problems go away. While the situation is better than with Warlords, you will run into them, especially on larger maps on 32-bit. Going 64-bit is still the only way of MAF-proofing the game.

I just thought of one crafty method for avoiding MAFs: what if one plays with locally launched pitboss? Your game will crash, but your pitboss won't, and you will be able to reconnect to the game that you were running. I haven't tried this myself (and have no reason now, running 64-bit OS for about a year), but anyone with a 32-bit OS and a liking for larger maps could test this out. I am not sure if pitboss itself suffers from MAFs, though.

@Walter - I do have a 64-bit quad processor - it's the only way to go for a huge improvement in performance and multi-tasking. All you 32-bit people out there, switch if you can afford it.

By the way, the only 10% of Steam users with 64-bit architecture cited by Mr. Bras seemed low to me. I looked at the link and sure enough that data is two years old, an eternity in computer development time. The latest percentage for Steam user 64-bit systems (I followed his link) is somewhat over 50%.

I downloaded this on Monday..The full version...and installed normally on my computer.

The creators of this mod should be commended for a job well done.

The only problem I had was that when I tried to go from in-game to the Main Menu, the game CTD...every time, even when I played one turn.

That's good, I didn't like Revolution mod

Also, I think you missed two negative traits

Wasteful (-20% production): The Leader is ineffcient with the resources given to them. As a result, some of the production is lost in process.

Wasteful (-20% production): The Leader is ineffcient with the resources given to them. As a result, some of the production is lost in process.

This one would be very unbalanced. Production is really important; flat -20% would be crippling. We have a trait for -20% Wonder production instead of this.

I have a problem with BUG mod not finding its setting files. Any idea of what causes that ?

I have a problem with BUG mod not finding its setting files. Any idea of what causes that ?

Non-standard latin symbols in the path to settings folder (within My Documents)? Actually, we thought we got rid of that problem. You can create UserSettings folder inside Beyond the Sword/Mods/Realism Invictus by hand; that should do the trick.

I've tried a game at noble level but something is totally changed. With warlords version of the mod, I used to complete the conquest of whole Europe before 1000 BC, now I cant even think about war before 500 BC. Everything seems longer to build, especially buildings, and city production is always very low. In my opinion, ancient buildings cost too much and give too little (sawmill +5% is almost useless). This is confirmed by the fact that AI builds only units and they quickly found many cities eveywhere, but they stay undeveloped for long time. It looks to play a Vanilla game, while before, the strong point of this mod, it was possible to engage yourself in wars very early and that's the funny side of this game. I am a big fan of TR, but I think this version is not funny at all. Sorry.

I've tried a game at noble level but something is totally changed. With warlords version of the mod, I used to complete the conquest of whole Europe before 1000 BC, now I cant even think about war before 500 BC. Everything seems longer to build, especially buildings, and city production is always very low. In my opinion, ancient buildings cost too much and give too little (sawmill +5% is almost useless). This is confirmed by the fact that AI builds only units and they quickly found many cities eveywhere, but they stay undeveloped for long time. It looks to play a Vanilla game, while before, the strong point of this mod, it was possible to engage yourself in wars very early and that's the funny side of this game. I am a big fan of TR, but I think this version is not funny at all. Sorry.

Hi Snake Pliskeen,

The building cost wasn't changed, as the speed, the number of turns in each era, etc. The sawmill is exactly the same as before.
What is really new is the map. It's far beyond the huge size. That's why the AI always try to settle as more as possible, at least until there is either a city upkeep problem, either no more free lands. Because settling is time and ressource consuming, they stay a bit undevelopped.

Have a try on a large random map with 11 civs. You will see that the game isn't so badly balanced.

Whatever is the map, ancient and early classical eras are mostly used by AI to settle. That's why you feel disapointed.

We didn't changed many things in TR (now RI). Porting TR to BtS (to become RI) was very long. We didn't add many new features as we didn't had time to do so.

I really think that the new map size is the reason of your feeling.

Enjoy,

I noticed that myself; when I looked at one game in worldbulder, I noticed that many of the AI players founded more cities than I did (I tend to prefer to develop cities). I also notice it is more difficult to keep your finances in order as well.
One idea I am thinking of to help with development is a modcomp idea I had; modifying workers so they can function as a lesser version of Great Engineers, speeding up construction by a relatively small amount. This way cities with high food output can create workers to help cities with low production develop quicker. Also this would make workers useful if you have made all the improvements to terrain you need (no workers sitting idly by).
Some other possibilities for adding modcomps to the mod:
  1. OrionVeteran's Shrimp mod (another water based resource)
  2. Mastery Victory.

Top Bottom