Help bought this game off steam and it crashes now

TrixieLulamoon

Chieftain
SO i ran it once it ran fine i stupidly set the graphics resolution to 1920x1080 not realizing the game would have issue snow i get this error screen when i try to run it from steam http://s27.postimg.org/rfz5iabr7/COL_Error.jpg i have tried changing the config file and uninstalling and reinstalling and still get that issue please help

Better late than never. I didn't see this thread until now.

Try deleting CivilizationIV.ini (my documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization) and try again.

The issue is strange and somehow related to your computer. The game has no problem displaying this resolution or even greater resolutions. I suspect your computer doesn't respond correctly when the game requests taking over the screen and switch the resolution.

If you fail to get this to work, plan B is to play in window mode. Looking in the ini file (which I told you to delete), it contain this line
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 1
Change that to 0 and you will play in window mode. This should work even if your computer for some reason refuse to let the game take over the screen.

Its actual a know bug has been since 2005 i found out that it wont run the higher resulutions.And since they are not really supporting this game much anymor emeans where stuck playing at lower resultuions even tho i have a higher res g card and monitor

That's odd. I have no problems playing at 2560x1440. I guess it depends on your graphics card or something like that. RaR had a bug at one point where some computers failed to display yield icons, but only on some computers. It turned out that some graphic cards couldn't handle the yield icon file being wider than 2048 pixels. Nobody ever came up with any idea why such a thing would fail on some computers and not others, but the file was updated to work on all computers.

The only thing I can think of is to try using a different graphics card. If you run the game in a virtual machine, you will have a virtual graphics card, which might work in full resolution even though you are still using the same hardware. However it will likely affect performance and it's trivial to set up.

Top Bottom