Warhammer Heart of Chaos: Design Discussion

Psychic_Llamas said:
Ahriman (replaces Demon Prince)same stats, same tech requirements
HEY! Ahri got a unit named after him. :p

HEY! Ahri got a unit named after him.

sure did :) i plan on getting all team members something named after them.

feel free to suggest ideas for your own representatives :p

Added lizardmen design.

That's wicked awesome, man! And I don't say wicked awesome unless I really think it is. Hmm...I'll have to think of something for mine.

Ahriman's reference is a real coinidence because there actually is a deamon called Ahriman in one of the middle eastern religions, i think it was zoroastrianism. which is convenient because thats what the chaos dwarves are named after.

apparently thats where Ahri got his name from

feel free to suggest ideas for your own representatives :p

Added lizardmen design.

feel free to suggest ideas for deadliver yo.

Chaos dwarves:

Gives +1 Hammer from Lava (or more). Gives +2(or more?) Hammer from Volcanoes.
Temple of Hashut (Replaces all chaos temples) required to build Druj, Aeshma, Baalzebub, AziDahaka, Ahriman. Turns Desert in fat cross into lava, Turns peaks in fat cross into Volcanoes. +1 happy from Insense, +1 Happy from Iron. all units built get 'Mark of hashut' promotion.
Interesting. How about adding a base +1 influence to the temple as well?
What (will be) the base tile yield for lava? Volcano?
Do we have graphics for these? I don't remember a lava terrain type being in the mod.
So... sounds like we should build chaos dwarves on top of Illians? :)

Hobgoblin hunters Goblin race Strength 4. No metal weapons. Can use wartats. 2 moves. Better results from tribal villages. +50% vs beasts. +30% withdraw chance. +15% hill strength. Hammer cost: 50.-1 strength, no upkeep, no warweariness from death. Animosity. Hammer costs less.
Stray text? Or intended?
3 strength hunters would be *useless*. You can't take -1 strength off low-strength units, that is a huge penalty.
I'd advise against adding animosity to the chaos dwarves too; we didn't add it to recon units for other factions, and even though the chaos dwarves are using some greenskins, they shouldn't feel like greenskins; animosity just doesn't feel like a chaos dwarven mechanic. And you could justify this by assuming that there is basically a chaos dwarven slavemaster with whips in each goblin unit that stops them from getting animosity.
Hobgoblins also I thought were supposed to be far more organized than normal goblins, so the hobgoblins wouldn't be suffering from animosity in the same way as orcs would.

Hobgoblin warrior (Replaces warrior) -1 strength, no upkeep, no warweariness from death. Animosity. Hammer costs less.
Hobgoblin Axemen Warband (Replaces Axeman Warband) -1 strength, no upkeep, no warweariness from death. Animosity. Hammer costs less.
Hobgoblin wolf riders (replaces ancient cavalry) -1 strength, no upkeep, no warweariness from death. Animosity. Hammer costs less.
Hobgoblin archer warband (same as archer warband) -1 strength, no upkeep, no warweariness from death. Animosity. Hammer costs less.
Again; -1 strength is useless, and I dont' think animosity belongs here.

Similarly I'd take discipline off the various other units.

Chaos dwarves should feel like *dwarves* with weaker underling units.
With all this armylist, they'd feel like you're playing orcs.

If you really feel you must keep animosity, ok, but you need to take the -1 strength off.

Either take a look at the way the goblin units are done (earlier tech access, attack OR defense reductions, lower hammer cost, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301877&page=2), or just change both and have the Goblin racial promotion give a flat 10% strength penalty.

Same as Handgunners but ignores defence modifiers
I don't think ignoring terrain modifiers really makes sense here. If nothing else a blunderbuss is a huge scatter shot with short range, and so the height advantages of hills or the cover advantages of forests would be even larger against these weapons.
If you want to give them a bonus representing their shotgun effect, give them a +15% bonus vs melee.

Death rocket (replaces catapult) Same as greenskin Doom Divers ?????????????

Our proposal for doomdivers (from their thread, which I'm happy to change) was basically a siege unit with superior unit bombardment but lower combat strength; you're shooting goblins (or rockets here) at the enemy.
Goblin Doom Divers Strength 3. Can barrage adjacent units with a 30% max damage cap.
But I have no attachment this design, I'm happy for it to be changed.

Bull centaur (replaces knight)
On reflection, this should probably be an inferior knight, with -1 strength. Cavalry are not exactly a chaos dwarven flavor.

Sorceror of Hashut (replaces Chaos sorceror) As for other chaos races but starts with Bright 1 and Gold 1.
Exalted sorceror of Hashut (Replaces Exalted Chaos sorceror) As for other chaos races. but starts with Bright 1 2 and Gold 1 2.
2 free promotions for each level???
That seems too much. Its fine to let them *learn* these magics through the techs, but they don't need to start with them for free.
No other mage type gets 2 free promotions per level.
High/Dark/Wood get 1 each and decent flexibility, and they are supposed to be superior mages.
Elementalists and College wizards get 1 promotion per level and no flexibility.
Chaos mages get flexiblity but no free promotions.
The chaos dwarf sorcerors get good flexibility (2 lores and 3 chaos magics), so they shouldn't be getting a ton of bonus promotions as well.
With this design, they would get the magics without even having to research the Lore of Metal/Lore of Fire techs!

Just make them a standard chaos sorceror, and leave winds of magic, lore of metal and lore of fire unblocked for the chaos dwarves civ.

Chaos Dwarf: +10% hills strength (not double move in hills), double bonus from fortification (like defensive promotion in FFH), 25% Fire resistance.

I'd remove the hills strength or the fortification bonus. Regular dwarves need to be better than chaos dwarves at one of these.

Blocked Units:
No spearman warband
Chariot, warchariot, dragon (gets Lammasu)

Still missing: we don't have anything at priesthood or fanaticism.
This is a bit of a problem for chaos tribes too; none of their religious units use the religious line.
Maybe tie fanatacism in as an extra requirement for some units, like chaos knights or something?

Interesting. How about adding a base +1 influence to the temple as well?
What (will be) the base tile yield for lava? Volcano?
Do we have graphics for these? I don't remember a lava terrain type being in the mod.
So... sounds like we should build chaos dwarves on top of Illians? :)

Lava is the same as Desert yields iirc, and volcanoes have no yields.
yeh we have graphics for both of these :)
and using Illians as a base for CD is a good idea i hadns considered :)

Stray text? Or intended?
3 strength hunters would be *useless*. You can't take -1 strength off low-strength units, that is a huge penalty.
I'd advise against adding animosity to the chaos dwarves too; we didn't add it to recon units for other factions, and even though the chaos dwarves are using some greenskins, they shouldn't feel like greenskins; animosity just doesn't feel like a chaos dwarven mechanic. And you could justify this by assuming that there is basically a chaos dwarven slavemaster with whips in each goblin unit that stops them from getting animosity.
Hobgoblins also I thought were supposed to be far more organized than normal goblins, so the hobgoblins wouldn't be suffering from animosity in the same way as orcs would.

Very good points. ill remove that from Hobgobs. but keep the no war wearyness from death?

If you want to give them a bonus representing their shotgun effect, give them a +15% bonus vs melee.
deal

Death rocket

Death rocket (replaces catapult) Strength 3. Can barrage units with a 30% max damage cap within 2 squares.

is that ok? and why such low strength?

Just make them a standard chaos sorceror, and leave winds of magic, lore of metal and lore of fire unblocked for the chaos dwarves civ.

ok. whats your opinion on a Lore of Hashut instead of: either the Bright and gold lores, or the chaos magic?

Still missing: we don't have anything at priesthood or fanaticism.
This is a bit of a problem for chaos tribes too; none of their religious units use the religious line.
Maybe tie fanatacism in as an extra requirement for some units, like chaos knights or something?

:hmm: how about we just make priesthood and/ or fanaticism a requirement for some of the chaos deamons?

Amazons:
Jungle Children: +1 food from Jungle, +1 hammer from swamps, +0.5 health from jungle and swamps.

Is the intention for them to get a net 0 health gain from jungle (which would be nice, and distinguish them from WE) or a net +0.5? In which case you might need a 1.0 bonus to cancel out the -0.5 base penalty.
Also, they will need to have build-improvements in jungle enabled somewhere.

Amazon Slave Camp: Stores 33% food. +1 Happy. All units built gain the 'slaver' promotion. Slaves can be sacrificed to add 30 food to the city.

I think the 5% chance on the Amazonian racial promotion is probably enough.
And do they really eat them?? That sounds like an Ogre thing, I don't think it belongs here.
Large bonus food storage *on top of* a granary can also be problematic.

Altar of the Serpent: Required to build Serpent Priestess, Naga and Basalisk. +1 Happy from Insense, +1 happy from Toads. +2 influence.
Assuming that this is their temple (and requires Old Ones religion).
Slightly boring, but whatever. I don't really know anything about their fluff.

Ok, it looks like they are cannibals.
However:
Cannibal heals 20% after combat
a) there is already a cannibalize promotion, why create a new one?
b) It really represents a supernatural process; its on crypt ghouls and the like. It doesn't really make sense for humans eating other humans to get big instant healing, it doesn't really help them anymore than eating
c) Rapid healing after combat really doesn't make sense as a primary mechanic for an entire civ.

We need to decide how obsidian weapons would work.
What bonus does it give?
What resource does it require?
How does it interact with wartats?

Its hard for me to do balancing without this.

'Amazon Magic 1',
I didn't know they'd be getting another magic type. Can we still use the existing Magic of the Old Ones tech for this?

Basalisk (Replaces Dragon) Strength 14+5 Poison, 2 move. Terror, immune to psychology, Can cast 'Gaze of the Basalisk'. can bombard city defenses 8%,
a) Is this spelling of Basilisk canon?
b) City bombardment??!?

Another thought: no siege units. Well and good, but they need some other way of taking cities. Maybe some of their city assault troops could ignore city walls?

Lava is the same as Desert yields iirc, and volcanoes have no yields.

Can you build improvements on lava? you can't on volcanoes.
So how about they get +2 hammers from lava and +3 from volancoes?
Death rocket (replaces catapult) Strength 3. Can barrage units with a 30% max damage cap within 2 squares.

is that ok? and why such low strength?

The idea (not a terribly good one) was to make them *only* a bombardment unit; and that hopefully by reducing their strength the AI would use them for bombardment more. Don't know if thats true though.
If its going to be 2 range bombardment, then how about removing the collateral, so they're shooting a single unit. And do the same with Doom Divers.
2 range bombardment is a huge advantage, particularly for a human player. For eg, it means a human player can kite* incoming infantry by using roads. Enemy stack enters your territory and is adjacent to your siege unit. Move away 1 tile (on road) then turn and bomb them. Next turn they move towards you, you move 1 more tile again and them bomb them again.

*RTS terminology in case you're unfamiliar.

Another alternative would be to have these guys have a spell that created a rocket, like a fireball spell, instead of a bombardment attack.
whats your opinion on a Lore of Hashut instead of: either the Bright and gold lores, or the chaos magic?
I don't quite understand this. You mean create an entirely new magic type with new promotions?
I'd prefer not to; it would require another tech (and we have our tech tree) and we already want them using the existing chaos techs for the demons.
Frankly, rather I'd just have them as normal chaos mages but leave the Metal/Fire techs unblocked. Though we will have to add "Or Chaos Dwarf promotion" to the requirements for Gold magic 1 and Bright Magic 1, but that is easily done.

Oh, and to help encourage getting them, maybe tie some of the units like the Infernal or Kollossus into Lore of Fire/Lore of Metal.

The other alternative is to give them both normal sorcerors, and Adept units that don't have channeling but get Gold/Bright magic promotions.

how about we just make priesthood and/ or fanaticism a requirement for some of the chaos deamons?
Seems reasonable. Require priesthood for the normal level demons, require fanaticism for the demon prince, and maybe the exalted chaos sorceror?

Is the intention for them to get a net 0 health gain from jungle (which would be nice, and distinguish them from WE) or a net +0.5? In which case you might need a 1.0 bonus to cancel out the -0.5 base penalty.
Also, they will need to have build-improvements in jungle enabled somewhere.

im not overly sure on this. what do you think would be better balance wise?

And do they really eat them?? That sounds like an Ogre thing, I don't think it belongs here.
Large bonus food storage *on top of* a granary can also be problematic.

think of the food bonus not so much as eating them (though in sure the Pigmeys would have a nibble) but more the fact they use the male slaves as sex slaves to reproduce... :p

Assuming that this is their temple (and requires Old Ones religion).
Slightly boring, but whatever. I don't really know anything about their fluff.

this was meant to be on top of the temple of the Old Ones. possibly even requring the TotOO. any other suggestions to make it more interesting?

a) there is already a cannibalize promotion, why create a new one?
b) It really represents a supernatural process; its on crypt ghouls and the like. It doesn't really make sense for humans eating other humans to get big instant healing, it doesn't really help them anymore than eating
c) Rapid healing after combat really doesn't make sense as a primary mechanic for an entire civ.

a) i meant the cannibalize promotion, just got the name wrong. i dont mean to make a new promotion.
b) does it matter?
c) cannibaliza is exclusively for the Pygmeys, not the Amazonian Women.

We need to decide how obsidian weapons would work.
What bonus does it give?
What resource does it require?
How does it interact with wartats?

i mention this in the Lizardmen design. Requires Stone, +15% strength stacks with war tats.

I didn't know they'd be getting another magic type. Can we still use the existing Magic of the Old Ones tech for this?

theyre too primitive to use old one magic like the lizardmen, and the Oldworld is too distant to use the same winds IMHO.

nah its just my epic fail at spelling. how is it meant to be spelt?
b) City bombardment??!?

they dont get siege so need some minor form of city bombardment. i figured i gigantic snake bashing itslef agaisnt a wall would have the same effect as throwing rocks at it?

Maybe some of their city assault troops could ignore city walls?

i like this. perhaps have a unique friendly Cat-like beast man... lets call it a Prowler, that can act as an assassin.

Can you build improvements on lava? you can't on volcanoes.
So how about they get +2 hammers from lava and +3 from volancoes?

lava damages units on the tile, so unless we make CD workers immune to fire they wouldnt be able to. we could have a Foundary improvement which gives gold and Hammers from lava? unique to CD? otherwise that works.

btw Ahri, ot sure if you have looked at the lizardmen or not. what is your oppinion on them?

@ everyone else. whats your oppinions on Amazonians and chaos dwarves? there isnt much info to go on for either of those so more ideas are welcome!

what do you think would be better balance wise?

I think just having them get no unhealth from jungle would:
a) be an interesting contrast with WE and forests
b) represent the fact that jungles are still a nasty place to live.
Part of the problem I see is that while jungles are still a nasty place to live for human amazons, they're probably a pretty nice place to live for lizards. But we probably don't want to try to have/balance two different traits.
How about we leave it +0.5 for a net health of zero for now.

but more the fact they use the male slaves as sex slaves to reproduce..
Having horrible thoughts about captured orc, goblin and skaven units.....

this was meant to be on top of the temple of the Old Ones. possibly even requring the TotOO. any other suggestions to make it more interesting?

Oh, so you see it as basically a coven replacement.
How about you drop the slave camp building, make the Altar a replacement for the Coven (without needing the temple), have it give +2 xp for arcane units (or training for arcane units), and the slave sacrifice effect?

a) i meant the cannibalize promotion, just got the name wrong. i dont mean to make a new promotion.
b) does it matter?
c) cannibaliza is exclusively for the Pygmeys, not the Amazonian Women.

It feels a bit weird, but I'm not strongly opposed. Lets try it for now.

i mention this in the Lizardmen design. Requires Stone, +15% strength stacks with war tats.

Ahh, I didn't notice a lizard design had been added.
Ok. My problem with wartat and stone reliance is the old one: dyes and stone are fairly rare resource, and aren't as reliable as copper or iron.
How about you create a national wonder for the lizards and amazons (with magic of the old ones tech?) that provides 1 copy of dyes and stone resources?

theyre too primitive to use old one magic like the lizardmen, and the Oldworld is too distant to use the same winds IMHO.
I'm not saying they have to use the same promotions and the same spells, but we could still have it use the same tech.
Also, you could have their tech just borrow many of the effects from jade, beast and athel loren, with new names, so you don't have to code new spells.

And lizards could either use *both* types, or just their own type. Its easy enough to require the amazon promotion for researching amazon magic 1, and have amazon magic 1, 2, 3 provided by the old ones tech (with channeling requirements as appropriate).

nah its just my epic fail at spelling. how is it meant to be spelt?

Uhh.... Basilisk :) See, even the spell-checker recognizes it.
i like this. perhaps have a unique friendly Cat-like beast man... lets call it a Prowler, that can act as an assassin.

Assassins (ie marksmen) and ignores city walls are antithetical. Assassins should be *terrible* city assault troops, they should be for picking out the weak in the field, not assaulting defended fortresses. Catmen assassins seems feasible, but we still need a way for them to take cities.
Spells are one option, but the AI can't be relied on to do that.
How about just a battering ram unit, that doesn't get any bombardment and has low strength, but can still knock down city walls? Even amazons could build a ram.
lava damages units on the tile, so unless we make CD workers immune to fire they wouldnt be able to.

Is the damage not cancelled by fire resistance? I remember in FFH for example, the fire resistance on orcs let them enter flames tiles unmolested.
You could just let them build workshops on lava, or leave them with no improvements. I don't mind.

btw Ahri, ot sure if you have looked at the lizardmen or not.
I hadn't noticed, I will take a look at some point.

Lizardmen

Partly this is harder for me to do, like the amazons, since I really know nothing about their fluff or the strengths/weaknesses of their army.

Casters in this city can cast spells from other cities with Mage-Priest Pyramids as if they were there. +1 Trade Route. +4 Beakers.
I don't understand this, or how it would be coded.
Skink Barrio: Required to spawn Skink units
Saurus Spawning Chambers: Required to spawn Saurus Units
Hatchery: Required to Spawn Dinosaur Units
I take it these are instead of military school/stables/training yard etc.
Sacred Plaque: Requires 'Mage-Priests Pyramids' in the city, and a 'mark of the Old Ones' Unique Feature in the Fat Cross. an build one for every 2(or 3?) 'Temple of the Old Ones' i nthe civ. +100% GPP, +20% Beakers, +20% hammers

I dislike requiring a Mark of the Old Ones in the BFC. This will be messed up for random maps.
Much better to make Mark of the Old ones a resource from the Marks and some of the Unique features (see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335017 ), and have the building give some bonus only with the Mark resource.
+100% GPP is also a *huge* bonus.
This thing is too powerful, you need to either tone it down (if its a cathedral replacement) or make it a national wonder.
Lizardman: +25% strength in Jungle, 50% vulnerability to cold
Skink: Amphibious, can travel in coastal water squares, +25% strength in Jungle and swamp. 50% vulnerability to cold
Drop these bonuses down to 10%, 15% tops.
Invisible, can enter rival territory without open borders, Can see invisible units
Invisible is an incredibly powerful promotion.
How about taking down its beast bonus to 25%, and making it invisible only in jungle and swamps.
Lizardmen Skink Brave
How about just "Skink warband" or "Skink braves".

Skink Axeman warband (Replaces Axeman warband). Strength 2/3 +1 poison,
I'd make them 3/2+1 poison. They still need to have some offensive potential.
Kroxigor: Strength 7. +25% vs melee units. +25% vs chariot units. +40% vs shock cavalry units. Can use Obsidian Weapons. can bombard adjacent tiles like longbowmen.
What slot is this? ie what tech? I can't balance it without that.

Saurus Cold One Riders (replaces Lancer). Strength 6/4, 3 moves. Can use Obsidian weapons. Can withdraw from combat 25%, +25% vs missile units, +25% vs chariots, +50% vs siege units. Causes Fear, Stupid. no penalty in jungle and swamp.
How about 2 moves, double moves in jungle. And requires horses.

Carnosaur Rider (replaces knights) Strength 10/7. 3 moves. Can use Obsidian weapons. Can withdraw from combat 15%. 25% vs archers. Causes Fear, Stupid. no penalty in jungle and swamp.
3 move knights? Are lizards really about mobile cavalry?

Jungle Swarms: (Replace Troll.) Strength 1+ 3 Poison, no metal weapons, immortal, 2 moves, 20% withdrawal chance, no war weariness from death, +20% Jungle and Swamp terrain strength.
How about using the standard design thing for this slot: higher cost, builds 50% faster with breeding grounds resource.
Add this to the Amazon one too.

Skink Razordon Hunting Pack (Replaces Giant) Strength 8/6, 2 moves +25% vs missile cavalry, +25% vs Chariot, +25% vs melee, Can bombard adjacent tiles like longbowmen, (shoots Barbs).
Requires breeding grounds.

Skink Salamander Hunting Pack (Second Giant Slot) Strength 5 +4 Poison, Acts like a Cataput regarding bombarding and collateral.
This just seems weird. A strength 9 unit that is bombarding? Salamanders that can knock down city walls? This doesn't make sense to me.
I'd drop the unit or redesign it.
And is it a Skink? Or some kind of giant salamander?

Engine of the Gods (Replaces Steam Tank) (World Unit) Requires 4 'Sacred Plaque' Buildings. Strength 16, 1 move, Can Cast all Slann Spells, Can Cast 'Close the Warp Gates'.
:

This sounds weird to me. And I'm assuming you don't want this as Steampower tech :)

Slann Mage-Priest: MIA?

You also don't have any magic units or priests. If you really want these to be coming off great priests, then I think you need to also change the buildings that Lizardmen have; give them replacements for markets, grocers, library, etc. etc. that all give great priest slots rather than sages and traders and priests and engineers.
And maybe block them from civics that give nobles/traders/engineers etc.

Alternatively; you could replace great merchant, great lord, great sage etc. for lizardmen with their caster version, so *any* great person they create is actually a spellcaster. You might have to have 5 identical casters (replacing the different great people), but so what?

It might also be better to have the normal ones be buildable (using the old ones tech and the fanaticism tech) and then some great ones from the great people mechanic.

Having horrible thoughts about captured orc, goblin and skaven units.....

feed those ones to the pygmeys haha. keep the humies elves and dwarves :p
How about you create a national wonder for the lizards and amazons (with magic of the old ones tech?) that provides 1 copy of dyes and stone resources?

good idea. added to each
The Obsidian Pyramid: (Wonder) provides 3 stone to the civ, +25% city defence for all cities, +20% hammers. can turn 2 citizens into engineers.
Quetzhyl's Orchard (Wonder) Provides 3 Dyes to the civ, +1 Happy from Jungle, Can turn 2 citizens into Lords.

but we could still have it use the same tech.

oh yeh thats fine :) i dont care what techs they require :)

How about just a battering ram unit, that doesn't get any bombardment and has low strength, but can still knock down city walls? Even amazons could build a ram.

Stegadon Catapult?

Is the damage not cancelled by fire resistance? I remember in FFH for example, the fire resistance on orcs let them enter flames tiles unmolested.
You could just let them build workshops on lava, or leave them with no improvements. I don't mind.

Workshops on Lava works for me.

Top Bottom