Slapstick/camp action, then and now.

Myself? I like to think I'm the wacko independent who experiments in a myriad of genres.

In the spirit of endless slews of holiday re-runs, it's
Christmas '09!

Nobody should have to guess that this is pretty much a direct rip from the Spongebob episode, "Christmas Who?". I can't remember exactly what inspired it, although I think it was comparing the Styleses and CG to the same love-hate relationship between Spongebob and Patrick and Squidward. And then as I really got into it, it became the perfect summary of DYOS in general.

At three and a half pages, this is the longest single hand-drawn comic I've done to date. I spent nearly five days straight slowly slogging through it, and I missed getting it up before Christmas Day by only four hours' worth of work. It's certainly not the prettiest, but given the length, the effort, and that je ne sais quoi that ties this all together, I consider it to be one of my best pieces ever.

It's also set an ambitious benchmark, and I fear this year's special will also miss the Christmas Eve deadline.

This comic also contains the first appearance of the flag of the Eastern Union, the result of many months' procrastination and about half an hour of actual work.

DRAW Your Own Story 9 came close to reattaining the spirit of the old days. It featured some of what I think was the best talent to emerge since before DYOS 5: Rheinmetall, Tykinruoka, kulade, Splime, Yuri2356... They brought a wide variety of artistic styles, and I deeply regret not having the chance to have worked alongside them. With the exception of kulade, none of this star cast carried over into DYOS 10.

The following two comics took place around the time Stylesrj had allied with Saddam Hussein, and planned to take over the world using the Cut-and-Paste Machine to spam an army.

There's an odd tendency in DYOS to gravitate toward levying private armies. Normally the easiest way is to pull from existing sources, sometimes calling dibs on entire countries. Splime went one step beyond, literally creating his own troops. He provided "reference sheets" should other contributors have need of his characters, and as luck would have it I saved them all in anticipation of actually connecting with the greater story. If I recall correctly, the colour patterns are as follows: Green is Splime himself; Red is Infantry; Blue is Air Force; and Yellow... I can't remember.*

* 03-01-11: Perfection dug up old thread archives. From the author himself: "BTW, the way I intend to use the guys: green is an officer (including me), red is a regular soldier, yellow is a support soldier (ex: vehicle driver), blue is a pilot..."

LEST WE FORGET

There's an odd tendency in DYOS to gravitate toward levying private armies. Normally the easiest way is to pull from existing sources, sometimes calling dibs on entire countries. Splime went one step beyond, literally creating his own troops.

I think some of us (Myself and Stylesrj) are following suit with our own private armies/mercs. Splime would be a pioneer.

We didn't really give the private armies a name. We just said "It's my space fleet. Who cares who's in it"

Nowadays, we've got them staffed with named ships and mauve shirt crew.

This one took far too long to finish. The original scene featured far more than this, including CivCube riding a sandworm to the nearby starport ("Muad' Stick! Muad' Stick!"). Once I realized my hand was cramping up, I stopped at escaping from the temple. Ah well...

Spoiler :

This one took far too long to finish. The original scene featured far more than this, including CivCube riding a sandworm to the nearby starport ("Muad' Stick! Muad' Stick!"). Once I realized my hand was cramping up, I stopped at escaping from the temple. Ah well...

Spoiler :

That was wonderful.

The early parts of this thread have been destroyed by the evil Red X's... :(

I'd figure I'd post this to show how much improvement I've made since my first Gmod comic:

At the time, there was no Scout Trooper and did not get my hands on AoC mod.

The comic of the ghost of DYOS future is missing D:

While I actually managed a little over 50 comics for DYOS XI, only a fraction of them had anything to do with the main story. That said, looking back there were a lot of funny moments such as this. Maybe it's not too late to turn Part II Part 1 into Springtime for Hitler...

Kan's death in DYOS XIcomic currently offline technically occurred off-screen, and Captain2 used it as a clever hook to rescue him without actually retconning the original comic. When he ended the Rake cycle with that same hook, I got inspired to make a shout-out to Monty Python's Life of Brian in what I'd hoped would spur other contributors to pick up the torch and create a running gag throughout the comic. Unfortunately, in another instance of "leave no ambiguity unresolved", before I had a chance to do a follow-up CivGeneral aired a page confirming Kan's death and breaking the chain.

The line about Star Wars missiles was plundered from Darths & Droids; Smart Missile lines include nods to Hamlet and 2010: The Year We Make Contact; "Make a wish, honey" is a reference to the episode "Club SpongeBob".

:twitch:

Kan's death in DYOS XIcomic currently offline technically occurred off-screen, and Captain2 used it as a clever hook to rescue him without actually retconning the original comic. When he ended the Rake cycle with that same hook, I got inspired to make a shout-out to Monty Python's Life of Brian in what I'd hoped would spur other contributors to pick up the torch and create a running gag throughout the comic.

Restored.

I loved the idea of the running gag. Good comic. Good memories. :D

Even a single-page sketch can take me a couple of days, and that might just be to reach a milestone in the immediate plot. I whip something like this up in a couple hours... guess which one I like more? :p

This scene was originally imagined for a short-lived IOT game which died during my New Zealand trip in 2014. Given Abbott's equally insane machinations in At Plot's End, I repurposed the script into this comic. The more I think about it, the scarier it is how easily an Abbott image search lends him to psycho Bond villainy.

I still plan to follow through on a loose thread spun out of this. The irony, of course, is that Hogan didn't want Mick Dundee to be an American-style action hero.

Top Bottom