The City States of Greece

Admittedly it would be good for the rp to be set directly in Greece, but they can't be blaimed for writing about adventures in far off lands. Currently Greece consists of one city, two units, and no notable buildings or improvements. I'm sure that as the game progresses it will be more and more about greece itself. I also think that once players enter the game they will be more inclined to write about political occurrences (like Jehoshua does). And if you want I can announce all prestige gained. I just assumed that players wouldn't want it trumpeted all the time.

Odyssey of Ekvallei
Part III: Flames

Spoiler :
When I woke up the next morning I felt drained. My legs were like water, and my eyes still drooped down. But I was free. I was happy, until Eka and I tried to wake Be. He was dead. Be’s lungs had burst from the long run we had embarked on the night before. That made two. Two brave explorers that had died in as many days. This was not what I had imagined exploration would be like. Eka and I wept for hours while we prepared the funeral pyre for our friend. That night, Eka and I slept on the beach in remembrance of our traveling companion.

In the morning, we decided to continue on our route eastward. I remember the long trek that we made, staying out on the beach for fear of the forest. Eventually, we reached an area of land that looked similar to a marsh. Eka and I decided to name the place the Be Marsh in memory of our lost friend, and do the same with the forest that we could see further inland. As we pushed through the dense undergrowth, I heard a sound of rustling grass and leaves approaching. By the fear on Eka’s face I could tell that he had heard as well. We began to run. At the time, we didn’t know that it would only arouse the predators further. As we came in sight of a plain that spread as far as we could see, an unmistakably human form leaped out of the undergrowth directly at Eka.

Now that I have had time to reflect, I have changed my assessment. The thing that leaped at Eka was a humanoid form, but not human at all. Its fur was a mottled reddish brown, and it had curved fangs roughly the length of an index finger. Its eyes were reptilian in nature, and the cruel glint in its eyes left no doubt about its intentions. As soon as it had Eka in its murderous grasp the demon tore him limb from limb.

I sprinted onward, trying to ignore the screaming coming from behind me and the unmistakable chattering of the demons close behind. I ran even faster than I had run when we got away from the camp, something I had not thought possible. When I reached the plains I kept running. I heard the frustrated chattering of the demons as they reached the edge of the marsh. I collapsed. The last thing I remember before my world swirled were three faces appearing above me. “Moshimoshi? Anata dare?” My world went black.

I woke up in a bed, something I had never had in Ghara. There, beds were only for the rich. I tried to sit up, but when I began to move my head spun. Needless to say, I immediately laid back down. A woman that had been cooking something over the fire noticed my activity and rushed over to me. She was of a race I had never seen before, not counting the three I had seen before I had passed out. Her skin was a light olive, and her eyes were smaller than those of the people back in Ghara.

I once again heard that strange language. “Mada go riyō itadakemasu! Anata wa daijōbudesuka?” When I tried to sit up she pushed me down and berated me in whatever that language was. I got the message, “Stay down!” I decided to introduce myself, but I had no idea how. If I had never heard her language, what were the chances she had heard mine? I finally settled on a course of action. I pointed to myself and stated my name. The woman repeated it, and when I smiled encouragingly she pointed to herself and said, “Kibo.” It was a beautiful name even then, and when I learned what it meant later it was quite appropriate. She was hope.

Over the next few weeks I traveled around the city I had learned to call Kyoto and learned the language of the inhabitants, Japanese. Kyoto was huge, a bustling port with trade and commerce flowing in daily. One day, I saw yet another type of person that I had never seen before. When I asked the merchants where he was from, the answer was Warsaw. I actually learned his language as well, because it was a mixture of Japanese and some other language which I soon learned was called Greek. When I inquired about the Greeks I found out that they were located to the south, in a city just as grand as Kyoto. It was amazing. In all my wildest dreams I had never thought that there could be one such civilization, never mind two! I felt like an explorer again.

While I wanted to travel around all of this new land, I settled for trading for a chart from a local merchant. I would take this back to my people, along with a ship that I had managed to acquire. The Japanese crew that I hired would follow my instructions, and soon I would be home. It was another of the happy times in those dismal times, when I had almost lost hope. I boarded that ship with hope, ready to go home and find my beautiful Prema. I had had my fill of exploration.

The journey home went nicely, with no storms or any other obstructions. When the ship glided into Ghara Bay I expected to be greeted with the pastoral view that I had left behind. I expected a bustling village, with the small huts that abounded and the smoke plumes that continually leaked out of the chimneys. That was not what I saw. Oh yes, I saw a plume of smoke, but it was not from a kitchen fire. It was from something I had never seen before. A huge blaze had engulfed half of the huts in its fiery embrace, and I could see villagers running away. I didn’t understand why they didn’t fight the greedy flames, until I looked towards the edge of the fire. I saw men in metal armor not unlike that I had seen in Kyoto. Piled in front of them was a wall of corpses. One of them was Prema.

OOC: That was great Tambien. I enjoyed the description of the land forms, and the Japanese connection is great. Perhaps your next character will have some expertise of the Japanese? Those demons were freaky tho...

OOC: indeed it was excellent, it leads into a relation to the game as it stands and it is generally a good story. My one complaint is that the demons didn't get a more detailed look :p

All OOC, obviously considering the fact that I am now dead. ;)
OOC: That was great Tambien. I enjoyed the description of the land forms, and the Japanese connection is great. Perhaps your next character will have some expertise of the Japanese? Those demons were freaky tho...
Thanks! I have... plans for the character.

OOC: indeed it was excellent, it leads into a relation to the game as it stands and it is generally a good story. My one complaint is that the demons didn't get a more detailed look :p
Oh, that complaint will be laid to rest soon. :)nya:)

Worry not, for it appears that the server has entered an island of stability.... for now ;)

Oh and dot80, if the server is stable when you end up getting online, and presuming you have the time, that update would be quite welcome.

~Rising of Nobles~

Filli_Noctus has joined the game as Phillipos Noctus Demandros

Turn Report:
Spoiler :

T63 - Met the Arabians! Found the Arabian city of Medina!

T65- The noble Onesimos Athenae Glaros dies of old age!

T66- Adopted the Liberty Social Policy! Attacked and defeated the Trojans!

T70- Met the Koreans! Found the Korean city of Soeul!

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - Average
  • Culture Strength - Average

Athens was growing and it now holds 21,000 souls! Along with a growing population there was a growing class of Nobles. All in all the noble families hold a total of 24 members. Though with life comes death. The lord Onesimos Athenae Glaros has perished, and so has the wife of Markarios Athenae Kosta. But the nobles wern't the only class growing, the Plebian class was growing aswell, including the recent ascension of Phillipos Demandros. With the growing upper classes the Archon will soon have more and more demands on his hands, can his family continue to stay popular and meet all the demands of his nobles, Plebians and Serfs?

The Megakyrios Archonate continues to hold much power over the people. They succeeded in removing the rebel encampment to the northeast, and were able to implement a new social policy. It is rumored the Archon gave the rebels two choices: to join Greece, or to perish. Most of the rebels agreed, and came back to Athens. The rest met a more gruesome fate. The men were cut down and the women were brought back to Athens and sold into slavery; the slaves netted an income of 350d for the Archonate. The money was dispersed according to the current tax policy. The Liberty policy was implemented the same year. Under this new policy people were more watchful of their freedoms. At first all went well under the policy. The people viewed their lot as fair, and believed the Archon was just in his rulings. But with the expansion of Athens' borders to Athens 9 the people realized that they had no say over what land they can and cannot work. So they came before the Archon and asked for membership into the Areopagus. They believed that if the common man was represented in the Areopagus they would have more control over what land they could have. They are still awaiting his response.

Issues:
  • How are we going to respond to the peoples request to be part of the Areopagus?
  • What are we going to do about the Arabs?
  • What are we going to do about the Koreans?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Ethnic Groups:
Spoiler :
The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient ledgends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenean language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adaquate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are past from generation to generation over the campfire.. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to preform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good. Recently the Athenians created a game by the name of War-Ball. War-Ball is a game where players take a woven grass ball and try to run it to the other end of the field. The only rules are that players cannot go out of bounds, and that they cannot destroy the ball. The game is very brutal and players regularly die from intense internal bleeding, and snapped necks, nevertheless the people love it. There are only two major teams, the Giants (who represent the city) and the Patriots (who represent the country). With the implementation of the tradition social policy the Athenians started to mark and celebrate annual national holidays. Prota Festival celebrates the founding of Athens and the almost Mythical founder who lead the people to civilization.

The Japanese
The Japanese are an honor oriented, sea fairing folk. They devote their lives to their craft and are highly skilled in whatever they do. At the top of their social hierarchy is their Shogun, leader of the army; then the Emperor, a spiritual leader; then the Daimyos, the lords and captains of units; and finally the peasants. In Japan the warriors are well respected, and hold a high place of honor. The local cuisine is mostly casseroles made from berries and herbs found in the wild and fish, the staple food of the empire. The Japanese speak a fast language, and it is still true to the Japanese of ancient times. The Japanese have little time for hobbies, but their most enjoyed past time is creating balls of polished mud, Dodorangos.

Polish
The people of Warsaw are an off mixture of races. Aspects of Japanese and Greek culture can be seen in them. Other then their mixed origin, little is known about them.

Indians
The only knowledge of them is that they live in a far off land, dominated by social and economic castes, and great and powerful deities. Recent visits from Indian Units reveal that in their culture Warriors held a high place in society.

The Spanish
Little is known about these people, accept that they hail from the south. Their brief visit in Athens didn't reveal much, only that they though themselves better then other races. They also had a fierce devotion to their pagan gods.

Egyptians
Reports from the scouts tell of a strange land to the West. It is ruled by an all powerful god-king Pharaoh, and beneath him are the priests, and beneath them the peasant. Though there is a small class of merchants and artisans, the majority of Egyptians live as slave-peasants. The local cuisine of Egypt is nothing remarkable. They have little in the way of recreation, but they do create a monument in tribute to the founder of each city.

Belgians
Little is known about the Belgians. They currently only inhabit the city-state of Brussels. Reports say they are religious and they worship their ancestors as the Paragons. They are very hospitible to outsiders, and in general are very musically inclined.

Guals
From what we have learned, the Guals are extremely territorial and isolationist. Little is known about their actual culture, and we have only been in very brief contact with them.

99 turns until a new citizen :vomit:

The sun baked plebs of Athens wonder if perhaps the worker might work a wheat before the hill, oh wise and mighty Archos...

Is it just me or the Strategic map won't show?

99 turns until a new citizen :vomit:

The sun baked plebs of Athens wonder if perhaps the worker might work a wheat before the hill, oh wise and mighty Archos...

But when the wheats are worked that will add to the growth, and eventually a new settler will be built.

Public Speech.

People of Athens, I have recently as you well know had requests incoming from individuals within our nation claiming that "The People" desireth individuals to represent them in the Areopagus. However Im afraid that this assumption that "the people" want this change is disingenuous as no one individual (save the Archon when he interacts with foreign states) can say he speaks for "The People" for the people are many, and hold diverse opinions and attitudes. All that I know is that I hear from those who desire change where those happy with the current situation remain, as is natural, quiet and content. Indeed I find this call for popular representation somewhat strange. For is it not true that any plebeian athenian can be raised to the areopagus based on their own merits in the current system. Athens Areopagus is designed to ensure that the Archon is advised by the best and the brightest in the polity, with the availability of positions to those worthy of the honour.

Furthermore, this call in the name of "the people" for popular representation makes me disquietened considering that the hated Fotismenoi used the same justification in an attempt to cling on to their unlawful power. Secondarily to this I must wonder considering the lack of context and information available to me in regards to these suggestions whether it is an attempt by those sympathetic to the Fotismenoi attitude, to worm back into a position of honour. For do not doubt people of Athens that there are those still who yearn for the days of the Fotismenoi under the delusion that they were somehow enlightened, and would commit evil in the name of that vanished house.

However on top of all of these question in my mind, is the upsetting thought that perhaps these people who proposed "popular representation" doubt the Megakyrioi's benevolence, and question my personal commitment to the good of athens. Do these people perhaps forget and dismiss so easily the gifts of law and order, of ever growing prosperity, of reverance for tradition and a commitment to personal liberty that the House of Megakyrios has given Athens and ungratefully suggest by this proposal that the Megakyrioi would oppress the people of Athens and degrade ourselves into becoming mirror copies of the tyrannical and abominable Fotismenoi of old?...

However saying all this, I will not dismiss the fact that there is a suggestion for an alteration to the Syntagma rules regarding the Areopagus to include popular representatives. Nor will I dismiss the possibility that it is a genuine expression of popular will. As such I will set my officials to research the matter, and discuss the matter with the nobles before calling upon the conclusion of the inquiries those who would introduce this foreign idea of popular representation to hear in further detail what precisely they seek to convince me to put in place.

I may have my doubts as to the source of this proposition, but it is my duty as Archon to ensure that I listen to those who have things to say so that I have the greatest store of knowledge at my disposal before I make up my mind as to the matter, and do what I think is best for the greater good of Athens... even if that means doing something I dislikie, or doing something that certain ideologically charged factions find do not fulfill their objectives.

ON MATTERS OF STATE

-

As promised to my father to the neglected people of the hill district. They shall be the first recipients of development. The Megakyrioi always keep their promises to the letter and I shall not dishonour my fathers memory by revoking the promises he gave.

After the hill district is improved the two wheat districts of the former Fotismenoi holdings are to be improved (north to south) to increase our food production and hasten population growth and prosperity. Following this the vineyards of Athens are to be improved should we posess the necessary technology, proceeding with those closest to the southern wheat district upon completion to ensure maximum efficiency on the part of our worker corps.

ooc: [workers are to mine the hills > farm Athens 4 > farm Athens 1 ( if calendar available then they are too > plantation Athens 10 > Athens 8 )

-

On matters of foreign policy we have discovered a nearby civilisation in the form of Korea. These people are similar to the Japanese in appearance, but speak an unrelated language and as far as my reports suggests are different in attitude from the aggressive Japanese and could make excellent allies for our great Polis.

As such I order Gennadios Plousios to Seoul, to serve as my emissary in establishing relations with the Korean State, and to find out more about our neighbouring nation. I expect regular correspondance from him to ensure that relations proceed as intended. If he does well and shows himself upright and competent I will perhaps raise him to the Areopagus in recognition of his ability and merit and add another seat to the Areopagus, perhaps this opportunity will mean he becomes more involved with us, for as it stands we never see him.

(ooc: order Magnive to Seoul to speak as my proxy instead of running off there myself considering other concerns.)

On the matter of the Areopagus, I would also like to acknowledge the recent ascension of Phillipos Demandros to public notability. He alone of all the plebeians has been seen by us, and has made valuable dissertations of opinion in audience with us where others remain nameless or send messengers to make known their opinion. As such it makes me glad that the public at large has taken note of his concern with the affairs of the polis. In light therefore of the previous insightful utterances of Phillipos Demandros and his association with the archonate, and in regards to the clear omen of public fame that has followed, it is only right and just that I reward his meritorious words and raise him to the nobility and grant him a seat on the Areopagus. I also give him the role of Technology Advisor, and obligation to represent before me the plebeians of the Field of Elephants and the concerns and issues of that district.

(Raise Filli Noctus and his future spawn to the nobility, and grant his character and his heirs a spot on the Areopagus)

This brings me to the point of allocated aforementioned land from the Field of Elephants. As the public would be well aware, certain great Pachyderms have been discovered in our territory on previously wild land. These pachyderms contain valuable ivory and make excellent mounts and beasts of burden, and as such distribution of lands for those who would exploit this resource is necessary. As such I will allocate a tripartite distribution to the House Demandros, to the plebeians who would reside in the Field of Elephants, and temporarily to the House Megakyrios until such time as another seat is added to the Areopagus, whereupon that portion will be granted to the family of the newly ennobled member of that venerable council. I do this because it would be disingenuous to grant the fief allocated for a future sitting member of the Areopagus to the people only to have it taken away, displacing families and their businesses and sources of income in a relatively short time. Thus it is my determination that it is necessary to ensure it is under the Archons paternal patrimony until the time comes for its final allocation.

(ooc: one commerce to Filli Noctus, one commerce temporarily to myself to keep the seat warm for a future noble (likely Magnive unless he shows himself to be utterly incompetent and inactive [incidentally thats why Im frogmarching him to Seoul before I go throwing things at him]), the rest goes to the commons)

On a final note, our victorious warriors in the conflict against the trojan rebels shall likewise travel north along the valley of the river Eurotas, before making camp on the hill 1W, 2 SW of Kyoto where they were previously stationed to check upon the progress of our Japanese friends and exchange cultural knowledge. We must not deny that the Japanese have a measure of cultural worth, and as such in the interests of good relations such a cultural exchange is right and just.

(ooc: send warriors back to where they were before to keep watch for any perfidious japanese settler heading down the Eurotas in contradiction to the national interest. This is to be done under the appearance of a mission of cultural exchange (japan being a warrior culture) to share knowledge and improve relations.)

- - -

@ Dot80, could you please inform me of how much in-game gold Athens has at the moment. I would very much like to know whether the bribing of a certain city-state to become our ally and/or friend is a possibility at the present time.

Do we know anything about the Korean civilization? And how long will it take to travel to Seoul?

99 until a new citizen... and pretty sure that Collective rule will take even more time... :suicide:

ooc:

Korean Civilisation = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea

Time = get a move on :p

-

In regards to the 99 turns, the improved wheat will hasten that up, also I note that liberty nets us an extra 1 culture point per turn in addition to the bonuses from the palace, monument and tradition. Money could also be used to bribe a city-state and net more culture to hasten the collective rule settler, although preferably that CS near Japan is the one Im aiming for should we go the route of bribing city states now, cultural or not.

I'm thinking about it in-game :p

ooc: I know, but in-game you don't question the Archon in the manner you did in deference to His Majesty and in acknowledgement of your inferior status. Thus to acknowledge it in-game on my part may perhaps be bad for you ;), unless of course you edit the question to be appropriately deferential.

Top Bottom