The City States of Greece

IC: The Greek Civilization is alive with resplendent poetry and verse :rockon:

If plebs are eligible for military service, I Aaronius would gladly step forward. You see, I just happen to live here on the outskirts of town with a tribe of fierce amazonian warriors that really know their way around a doru (spear: hoplite), and very soon the bow and arrow (my story isn't there yet, but you can see in my profile pic the really cute amazon displaying her prowess).

OOC: Wow things are really heating up... So Japan attacked our fortified warrior on the hill SW of Kyoto's border, and suffered 5(?) damage to our 2(?)? I imagine the general is 1 tile behind the tile that they attacked from, and the settler is in the same tile they attacked from? And the tile from which Japan attacked, and in which the Japanese wounded warrior and settler reside is a plains tile... and is within the Kyoto city defense radius? If so, I imagine you expect to attack and win almost certainly, thus gaining a worker for us and denying a settler to the shogun, but more likely than not our surviving warrior party will be killed by the city defenses? I'm just curious.

Also, what is this about "hobos around a campfire" and "lamenting the archon's rule"? It is merely the tough life of the low born and the hot and dusty conditions of Athens that form our mood. Besides, the organization of a worker has really improved our spirits. Didn't you enjoy our verse about the Archon's mines?

Also, what's up with the dot80 controlled nobles ragging on the settler group? Did Philloposigma forget to pay some kind of in game cultural bribe or something?

or you could have military service as a sort of profession. You move where your unit moves like Jehoshua said, and if there are no battles you get paid a small amount or whatever the city-state that trained you decides to pay it's military, and if there is a battle THEN you have a chance of doing something heroic, or dying. If the unit dies then your character dies but it can be a positive trait on him if he survives, "Veteran" or something. IDK. It could create military careers for some peoples characters.

OOC: Wow things are really heating up... So Japan attacked our fortified warrior on the hill SW of Kyoto's border, and suffered 5(?) damage to our 2(?)? I imagine the general is 1 tile behind the tile that they attacked from, and the settler is in the same tile they attacked from? And the tile from which Japan attacked, and in which the Japanese wounded warrior and settler reside is a plains tile... and is within the Kyoto city defense radius? If so, I imagine you expect to attack and win almost certainly, thus gaining a worker for us and denying a settler to the shogun, but more likely than not our surviving warrior party will be killed by the city defenses? I'm just curious.

Also, what is this about "hobos around a campfire" and "lamenting the archon's rule"? It is merely the tough life of the low born and the hot and dusty conditions of Athens that form our mood. Besides, the organization of a worker has really improved our spirits. Didn't you enjoy our verse about the Archon's mines?

Also, what's up with the dot80 controlled nobles ragging on the settler group? Did Philloposigma forget to pay some kind of in game cultural bribe or something?

ditto on your military musings. The death of the warrior however will be a close thing, we may yet come out of this scott free :p Indeed either way Athens will likely end up with a second worker to hasten its development(sorry FN, but I see vast fields of untapped resources in Athens which need improving and my first duty is to my own people, perhaps I will lend the worker too you though should certain circumstances be fulfilled). Also Aaronius no I didn't like your poetry, it lacked class and was hardly praise of the Archon.

As to Filli Noctus' "noble problem", well that is basically because I uplifted him as soon as he came in, and proceeded to give him the settler (not as if Im going to give it to the AI). The AI nobles think this is undeserved and now are pouring the hate on him. Thus he goes on to found Delphi with a blessing and a curse, and it will be up to him to make the best of it.

:goodjob:Just want so say awesome job guys! There were so many awards to give that I had to put it in Spoilers! Keep it up! :goodjob:

Honorable mention to Filli_Noctus for being the first born player to RP his actions! :clap:

Honroable mention to Magnive for the first book! :clap:

Finally, Honorable mention to all those who wrote poetry! Much better than I can do! Keep it up! :worship:

Just want so say awesome job guys! There were so many awards to give that I had to put it in Spoilers! Keep it up!

Honorable mention to Filli_Noctus for being the first born player to RP his actions!

Honroable mention to Magnive for the first book!

Finally, Honorable mention to all those who wrote poetry! Much better than I can do! Keep it up!

OOC: 16 Prestige :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana:

Great game Diety dot80! . So, are you now showing all of the prestige given out each turn?

OOC: Huzzah, literally points for my thoughts :p

OOC: 16 Prestige :dance: :banana: :dance: :banana:

Great game Diety dot80! . So, are you now showing all of the prestige given out each turn?

No, I'm showing ones that would be noticeable to everyone, but like the gradual ones I don't announce.

OOC: Huzzah, literally points for my thoughts :p

I like political essays in these games. I especially find those that analyze the situation the most interesting. I remember Tambien and Jehoshua wrote some great one in GaP

~The Greeks Expand~

Turn Report:
Spoiler :

T89- Japanese Attack!

T90- Our warriors successfully defeat the Japanese warrior!

Our Warrior is bombarded by Kyoto and killed!

T91- Settler leaves!

T92- We accumulate enough culture for a Social Policy!

T94- Delphi is founded!

For centuries the Greeks lived in a single city state, barley venturing from its borders. In the year 4000 B.C. Athens was founded by Prota Tambien Fotismennos. Its beginnings were turbulent, but after a short power struggle the Archonate was formed. Under the Archons of the Megakyroi Athens reached new heights of power, culture, and prosperity. In the past decade Athens has become the cultural center of the region. With the introduction of writing the long tradition of oral storytelling was put down, and improved. Song, poetry, and epic stories became commonplace in the city. The legacy of Athens has and will forever be a great one. Now the people are ready to expand. With new land comes many new oppurtunities. Gathering up their things, the settling party left under Phillipos Noctus Demandros for a spot upon the hotly disputed territory along Eurotas River. With the blessings of the Archon and the Gods the people left with high hopes for a better life. Trudging across endless plains, over high hills, and through dense forests they finally made it. In the year 2590 B.C. Delphi was founded.

Issues:
  • Who decides the Social Policy?
  • Who decides Technology?

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Social Policy Tree:
Spoiler :

Economic Overview:
Spoiler :

Ethnic Groups:
Spoiler :
The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient legends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenian language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adequate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are passed from generation to generation over the campfire. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to perform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good. Recently the Athenians created a game by the name of War-Ball. War-Ball is a game where players take a woven grass ball and try to run it to the other end of the field. The only rules are that players cannot go out of bounds, and that they cannot destroy the ball. The game is very brutal and players regularly die from intense internal bleeding, and snapped necks, nevertheless the people love it. There are only two major teams, the Giants (who represent the city) and the Patriots (who represent the country). With the implementation of the tradition social policy the Athenians started to mark and celebrate annual national holidays. Prota Festival celebrates the founding of Athens and the almost Mythical founder who lead the people to civilization. Under the pious Archon Pericles the people started to celebrate a new festival called Panathenaia, dedicated to the worship of Athena.

Delphians
As a daughter city of Athens, Delphi has many cultural similarities, chief among them religion. Delphians are followers of the Dodekatheist religion but with a special reverence for Apollo, who they view as patron of their city and adopting the Python as their symbol in honour of his slaying of that beast.Delphians speak the language of the Athenians, although variations and slang words appear regularly.The average citizen is more thoughtful than the average Athenian, a reflection of their different patrons. Although many of the original Delphians left Athens to create a freer society the position of women remains unchanged from Athenian expectations of domestic work and obedience to their father or husband.The Delphic diet makes heavy use of fruit and fish in addition to the staple bread.Delphic sport is less intense than Athenian war-ball, focussing on more tactical games. Particularly popular is a game known as 'krik-it' which encourages tactical skill and celebrates the opposed Greek virtues of cooperation and individual heroism. Popular teams are the Eos-ies, who revere Eos (dawn) and labour down-under the trees of 1,3, and the Pons, who revere Ponos and rarely leave the city. A popular fixture is known as The Ashes, because the two teams compete for the right to make a burnt offering to Apollo.

The Japanese
The Japanese are an honor oriented, sea fairing folk. They devote their lives to their craft and are highly skilled in whatever they do. At the top of their social hierarchy is their Shogun, leader of the army; then the Emperor, a spiritual leader; then the Daimyos, the lords and captains of units; and finally the peasants. In Japan the warriors are well respected, and hold a high place of honor. The local cuisine is mostly casseroles made from berries and herbs found in the wild and fish, the staple food of the empire. The Japanese speak a fast language, and it is still true to the Japanese of ancient times. The Japanese have little time for hobbies, but their most enjoyed past time is creating balls of polished mud, Dodorangos. After the Adoption of the Warrior-Code Social Policy the power-structure grew more decentralized. Each Daimyos holds more power over his lands than the shogun or the Emperor.

Polish
The people of Warsaw are an off mixture of Japanese and Greek. Though closely allied with the Shogunate of Japan, their culture much more resembles that of the Greek city of Athens.

Indians
The only knowledge of them is that they live in a far off land, dominated by social and economic castes, and great and powerful deities. Recent visits from Indian Units reveal that in their culture Warriors held a high place in society.

The Spanish
Little is known about these people, accept that they hail from the south. Their brief visit in Athens didn't reveal much, only that they though themselves better then other races. They also had a fierce devotion to their pagan gods.

Egyptians
Reports from the scouts tell of a strange land to the West. It is ruled by an all powerful god-king Pharaoh, and beneath him are the priests, and beneath them the peasant. Though there is a small class of merchants and artisans, the majority of Egyptians live as slave-peasants. The local cuisine of Egypt is nothing remarkable. They have little in the way of recreation, but they do create a monument in tribute to the founder of each city.

Belgians
Little is known about the Belgians. They currently only inhabit the city-state of Brussels. Reports say they are religious and they worship their ancestors as the Paragons. They are very hospitable to outsiders, and in general are very musically inclined.

Russians
Little is known about the Russians. Their nation is located in the south in a hard land, abundant with game.

Koreans
The Koreans are located in the lands east of Athens. They are an inquisitive group of people, and rumor is that they even have a system of symbols they use to impart, record, and communicate their thoughts with others. Finally, in their local culture Elephant is a delicacy and is traditionally made into a dish called Kokkili

After the Koreans and the Settlers left Athens the people seemed to be creatively charged. Great authors arose from every class, and Athenian Culture flourished. Along with many new poems, a new form of poetry, Pentagrammi, was created by a Pleb. The products of this new form were short and catchy, and became widely popular. Even the Archon himself was not immune to this wave that was sweeping the city. He himself created an exceptional poem, which was very successful at recruiting for the Settler party despite the warnings of the disgruntled Demetrios Glaros. In addition to all the new literature the religious zeal of the people reached an all time high. The Archon even created a holiday to celebrate and worship the great patron goddess of Athens, Athena.

Not all was good though. War has broken out in the north. The Japanese attacked the First Melee Division of Athens. Initially the odds seemed on our sides. The Japanese took heavy losses, and we were able to attack and defeat the Japanese Warrior. However, unbeknownst to the Commander of the First Division the Japanese had reinforcements who quickly slaughtered what was left of the unit. The settler unit civilians were right in the middle of all this fighting and took many loses. It is said they gave up hope of settling and returned to Japan to work the fields.

By order of the Archon the Patriarchs of each house stepped forward and gave their reports:

Military Attache:
"Our warrior unit was slaughtered by the evil Japanese! The only course of action is to prepare for all out war! I say send up the Archer to guard against any Japanese advance! I'd also like to report that following the attack on our Warrior Agathon Economou and Amon Kosta have joined the First Ranged Division of Athens! I commend you sons of Athens for your bravery, and wish you luck!"

Domestic Advisor:
"Though the prosperity of the people is certainly important, the tiles we are working don't make sense with our current situation. Lucrative as the Wine District is, we are sacrificing our saftey for a few Drachma. Change from the Wine to the hill tile. In light of recent events I'd say it is most important to have our emphasis be on production of the Hoplite, not the selling of alcohol."

Treasurer:
"Our recent emergency tax of an extra 10% has brought a lot of extra funds to the Archonate. I say we create a permanent income tax of 10%, and lessen or abolish the 10% security tax. "

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - Average
  • Culture Strength - High

Issues:
  • What are we going to do about the Japanese?
  • What are we going to do about the Polish?
  • What are we going to do about Delphi?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Athens Builds:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Nobles:
Spoiler :

Here is the link to the family tree: http://www.familyecho.com/?p=U9L45&c=uobsx3mfks&f=241926774677476467
To use it go to the bottom of the window and select the drop-down box next to "Show:" and choose one of the following depending on the info you want:
  • Age - Choose "Telephone"
  • Occupation - Choose "Profession"
  • Property - Choose "Company"
  • Traits - Choose "Interests"
The information will show up under the name of each person. It should always start with the Family Tree of the Current Leader of Athens.

The people of Delphi were happy when they were finally able to start work on their new home. They had set out years ago and after much difficulty had arrived along banks the Eurotas River. The people hadn't yet seen much of the leadership capabilities of the Demandroi and were wary of his unimpressive lineage. Among those who had the most faith in the new leader was Doros Economou. Over the course of the journey he had been the most vocal in his wants for the Syntagma: "The Nobles of Athens are powerless, and the Areopagus nothing more than a forum for their complaints. In Delphi let the nobles have an actual say in the government. I was troubled greatly by Plousios' essay back in Athens. I believe the Archon/King/Autokrat should be chosen by a body of nobles. That way each ruler can be trusted with the affairs of state. Create and Electorate. It would serve the same function as the Areopagus, but would allow the nobles to decide who will rule them." The settlers generally supported his ideas. His greatest supporter was Alexius, who added, "We also cannot allow him to freely make amendments to our constitution! In one generation the entire political system of Delphi could be changed just because of one man! Such a scenario would be devastating to the stability of our city!" There were many more suggestions put forth to the new Leader of Delphi, and the people awaited his response.

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - Average
  • Culture Strength - Average

Issues:
  • What are we going to do about the Japanese?
  • What are we going to do about Athens?
  • What are we going to do about the Koreans?
  • What are we going to do about the Polish?
  • What are we going to build?

Delphi City Screen:
Spoiler :

Delphi Builds:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Nobles:
Spoiler :

Here is the link to the family tree: [Link Coming]
To use it go to the bottom of the window and select the drop-down box next to "Show:" and choose one of the following depending on the info you want:
  • Age - Choose "Telephone"
  • Occupation - Choose "Profession"
  • Property - Choose "Company"
  • Traits - Choose "Interests"
The information will show up under the name of each person. It should always start with the Family Tree of the Current Leader of Athens.

Updates:
  • I am going to start using the renown mechanic. Renown will work a little differently than prestige, because all renown will be publically announced, and renown standings will be shown every update.
  • Added economic overview from the game to help people see what expenses and what income is for the different cities.
  • Created a new section for Social Policy tree. Thank you Filli_Noctus for pointing out that it's hard to remember.
  • Created a new section for City Builds because you can no longer see them all in the CS.
  • Obviously I have tried a new format for Session Updates, what do you guys think?

Notes:
-Want to make sure that everyone knows, prior diplomatic dealings, obligations, traditions, ect from Athens do not carry over to Delphi, unless done so specifically by Philli_Noctus.
-I have yet to do the RNG for children yet, so if you procreated, sorry I will do that soon.
-Forgot to get a strategic map, will add that soon.

I'm looking forward to this :p

Certainly.

You are most right Lord Kosta, I order the full utilisation of our mines immediately transferring labour from the wine district in order to hasten the arrival of our hoplites. Lord Glaros, keep the archers in Delphi for the time being to defend and attack at range any approaching Japanese units separately from the city. I mourn the loss of our warriors, but they have served admirably and prevented Japan from settling the Eurotas. May they be blessed in the fields of paradise.

OOC: I like the new format :p

IC: I would like to mention that I am learning the Japanese langague at the moment, so that I may serve as the diplomat of our empire once we want to negotiate a peace

OOC: Who decides what we research and what social policies to pick... well presumably as sovereign of the vast majority of the greek population (3/4 live in Athens) and ruler of the most culturally influential city I do :p

That said naturally I will be discussing such things with Filli Noctus. As it is (just to get it out there) I am tossing a three way pick between collective rule (free settler, 50% faster settler training), citizenship (free worker and 25% faster tile improvement) and oligarchy (garrisoned units cost no maintenance and increase city range attack by 100%).

Top Bottom