As a newcomer I really think you guys are being way too negative about this. Since when has this become "Arts Critics Get Grumpy"? DYOS is meant to be fun and silly, honestly negativity just completely detracts from the fun. And DYOS is meant to be fun. I'm not saying that people don't put work into this, indeed CivGen probably puts more work into his comics tan all of my creative projects combined. What I'm meaning to say is that we need to not get hung up over the little stuff. Getting hung up over the little stuff just stops fun dead in its tracks.

I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting. I've had a long day, I'm pretty tired, a little irritable and maybe something even slightly negative is setting me off. Usually I stop posting when I feel like this. But for some reason I just feel like I have to say this. DYOS is special, honestly the work I am going to put up will look like monkey feces thrown against a wall compared your guys work. But it feels like this is the place for it. Where else can you get an epic saga inspired by Star Wars, mercenary misadventures, a guy with a watermelon for a head leading a spaceship full of zombies and a guy who is drinking piss out of a champagne bottle all while allowing users like me inserting their ideas without scandal? DYOS is special and unique and for it to lose its positivity, spontaneity and unpredictability due to grumping would be a great loss for the whole of the internet. Aww jeeze, now there's a part that doesn't want to post this. And I'll probably regret posting this in the morning. Look, the main thing I want to say is that all you guys are awesome and please don't ever change. Keep up the magic. :goodjob:

Tailless, this isn't even about "properness" of a story, it's about my expectations to finally get breathing space in DYOS XII - something I did not feel happening.

Anyways, a "proper" story would be fine to do, perhaps. I'm not sure I have time for it, fo course - I have a crazy # of projects going on.

As a newcomer I really think you guys are being way too negative about this. Since when has this become "Arts Critics Get Grumpy"?

Just a quick note before I properly reply: This is not art criticism. I do not feel that the DYOS XII I've been promised has been delivered.

DYOS is meant to be fun and silly, honestly negativity just completely detracts from the fun. And DYOS is meant to be fun. I'm not saying that people don't put work into this, indeed CivGen probably puts more work into his comics tan all of my creative projects combined. What I'm meaning to say is that we need to not get hung up over the little stuff. Getting hung up over the little stuff just stops fun dead in its tracks.

I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting. I've had a long day, I'm pretty tired, a little irritable and maybe something even slightly negative is setting me off. Usually I stop posting when I feel like this. But for some reason I just feel like I have to say this. DYOS is special, honestly the work I am going to put up will look like monkey feces thrown against a wall compared your guys work. But it feels like this is the place for it. Where else can you get an epic saga inspired by Star Wars, mercenary misadventures, a guy with a watermelon for a head leading a spaceship full of zombies and a guy who is drinking piss out of a champagne bottle all while allowing users like me inserting their ideas without scandal? DYOS is special and unique and for it to lose its positivity, spontaneity and unpredictability due to grumping would be a great loss for the whole of the internet. Aww jeeze, now there's a part that doesn't want to post this. And I'll probably regret posting this in the morning. Look, the main thing I want to say is that all you guys are awesome and please don't ever change. Keep up the magic. :goodjob:

It's that DYOS X2 and XI both went dead to me for being too plotwisely dense with too much fluff baggage. DYOS XII was supposed to start over and be the one thread to last forever. And then the choices of some posters was to carry over unnecessarily complex story elements from the last thread into this one - one that was supposed to be the new fresh start.

I felt the mutual agreement was to clean the slate somewhat and make a soft reboot. Agreement, mind you. People debated this over and over and over again, eventually to settle with this compromise - at least how I remember it. Then we waited for the last comics to be posted - I think this took another couple of months. I even semiprepared a few comics during my urges of "Yes, finally, I can go at this!", usually coinciding with these debates and the announcement of something soon-to-be-posted.

And don't worry, I am a grumpy old man. You are free to call me names. I wouldn't even make that many comics if this thread suited my favorable environment. So I'm just being obtuse right now, perhaps even entitled.

And, well... I recall one compromise to be made and now not followed, respected or perhaps even remembered. And if it's fine for you guys, I won't mind. I just can't promise I'll ever participate in it again. I might in the odd yearly contribution, which echoes my detachment from what might be the common attitude against my wishes.

The current thread reboot seems pointless to me.

I wish for CivGeneral and Thorvald and Styles to weigh in and shut me up too. I'll perhaps bicker a little more before I'm done of course. I'm aware that I'm quite probably being way too unreasonable.

EDIT: Oh that was Styles replying, not JoanK. (Damn brony avatars.) Anyways, I'm happy you understand me, but yes: I don't give a damn about these constructed worlds. They're baggage, and was not supposed to be implicit information during DYOS XII. I do not feel any interest in partaking in any sort of plot thread or participation when I have to care about a lot of old plot threads I really don't care for. The point of a new thread was to say fudge that.

Yeah, getting rid of the number makes no sense when carrying over prior plots and stuff.

I have a few reasons for carrying over my plot from XI, in my case. I'm a relative latecomer to DYOS, I only started halfway through XI, and I made a general lack of progress in actually moving my storyline along in the past 3 years. :p My plot doesn't have much connection with past DYOS storylines, if any, so I felt it was standalone enough even to continue in a "reboot" because it was hardly connected with past DYOSes.

I wish for CivGeneral and Thorvald and Styles to weigh in and shut me up too. I'll perhaps bicker a little more before I'm done of course. I'm aware that I'm quite probably being way too unreasonable.

I would, but given the vitriol environment that's cropped up. I feel that I cannot express my opinions without someone getting mad at me.

While I respect your opinion about not giving a damn about my own constructed world. Heck I'm even fine with you seeing it as a 21st century entity instead of a spacefaring nation state. I think, and agree with Styles, that its just an attitude thing and do have attachment with concepts and characters that I made. While you see it as baggage, I see it as something I hold dear to.

As for plot elements from previous threads. I've made it a policy for myself to only make minor references to previous threads and typically in only a few words in passing conversation and move on. I even try not to make it a central theme in the current story. For instance, my character in my latest comic made reference to the Hacker (I'be asked Thor to help me on it) and serves as a reason as to why I am refusing the call instead of jumping straight away (Im sort of using Joseph Camble's Hero of a Thousand Faces as a guideline).

Part of the issue I see here is that there's no real hooks for anyone to put in their own thing. The fun in my view of DYOS comes from interaction of plots, if we don't do stuff together what the hell is the point of DYOS? It's just everyone going off and doing their own stuff.

Part of the issue I see here is that there's no real hooks for anyone to put in their own thing. The fun in my view of DYOS comes from interaction of plots, if we don't do stuff together what the hell is the point of DYOS? It's just everyone going off and doing their own stuff.

Yeah, I made that mistake last time. This time, I have a lot of ideas for collaborating with everyone else.

I wish for CivGeneral and Thorvald and Styles to weigh in and shut me up too.
Well, since you've addressed me by name... :p

I do respect your artistic vision and oddly enough I do sympathize on a number of levels, so in order to avoid going off on a tangent I'm going to speak as briefly as I can.

You're not going to change CG's or Styles' approach to cartooning. Full stop. But the only reason they end up monopolizing the plot is because we let them. It doesn't have to be evil-armies-and-space-battles 24/7, but you need to provide, not merely discuss, an alternative, and the way you do that is by making comics, either by yourself or in collaboration. If people had kept the paths open rather than cow-towing the Coruscanti Default, XI would not have failed. I'm disappointed in the footing some people chose to start on, if not to the same degree as you, but I'd hardly call this dead in the water; if you think you can save it, then stop fretting over the usual suspects' baggage and throw a comic out there. It might get picked up, it might not, but that's the inherent gamble in this setup, and the best way, outside of elaborate consultative pre-planning, that you're going to stand out in this massive pot-luck.

When in doubt, remember the words of Trooper.

Yeah, I made that mistake last time. This time, I have a lot of ideas for collaborating with everyone else.

Same here. I'm working on a comic right now, it probably won't be up until the end of the week though.

As some of you may have noticed, I just uploaded all of my DYOS 10 comics to DeviantArt. Will get along to fixing all the broken links and small images I find at some point.

Maybe I'll do what I did the last time it happened and keep a running tab of all the fudged-up comics I find.

Angst said:
EDIT: Oh that was Styles replying, not JoanK. (Damn brony avatars.) Anyways, I'm happy you understand me, but yes: I don't give a damn about these constructed worlds. They're baggage, and was not supposed to be implicit information during DYOS XII. I do not feel any interest in partaking in any sort of plot thread or participation when I have to care about a lot of old plot threads I really don't care for. The point of a new thread was to say fudge that.

Well Angst, I'm doing my best to leave as little baggage from DYOS XI as possible.
The main characters I'm using have not been used in DYOS XI or any other DYOS (and since no one really reads my DeviantART series...)

Same universe, different perspective; different characters.
There are a few references to DYOS XI and before, but that'll fade shortly for the actual story. This is Delia's story, not the story of my DYOS XI cast.

Well Angst, I'm doing my best to leave as little baggage from DYOS XI as possible.

Well, I can say the same thing as well, but add to it minimal references to FtR and abstaining from referencing 10.5.

I'll promise that once I'm actually in the plot that the references will vanish.

Strangely as it is, all of your respectful replies have actually made me maybe participate anyways.

I don't think it was a good way to start the thread (at all). Bad DYOSers.

But it felt a little good to have things (most notably, to myself be) set straight.

EDIT: Basically I might end up doing my thing. I might end up not doing it. Dunno.

I know I will clearly do my thing, but hopefully with frequent collabs and stuff.

I have a crazy # of projects going on.

This is actually by very far the biggest stumbling block. As Thorvald said, CivGeneral and Stylesrj dominated the thread; but only because the rest of us don't have the time or energy to actually contribute most of the time.

(and since no one really reads my DeviantART series...)

Just to expand on that, it'd be a good idea to generally assume that any references, whether it be a character imported from your own story or a game or comic, or even from a previous DYOS, unless they're really really well-known (like President Obama), are new to a reader.

Top Bottom