Need help overcoming editor limitations

ZergMazter

Prince
So I was trying to make an auto-produced unit, upgrade to another unit that is not in the build list in a city. Why? Because If it was in the build list in a city, then there wouldnt be a point of having the auto-produced unit in the game since you could just build the top end unit right off the city build list.

After testing i found that the only way i could do this was by selecting under 'unit abilities' in the unit tab of the editor the 'King' Flag. Ok sure it upgrades perfectly to that 'king' unit, and its not available in the city build list.

However i found a problem... My 'king' unit which happens to be a 'Modern Armor' is now named Julius Caesar, Elizabeth, etc, etc you name them. This happens, because the king unit is supposed to be your civ king and it takes the name from the civ tab editor from the leader name blanks.

Changing those to 'Title'=Modern 'Leader'=Armor works for the unit and all is back to normal, however open a diplomacy window and you quickly realize that every leader in the world is now named Modern Armor :cry:

Is there another way to do what im trying to do here? These silly limitations get in my nerves i swear :mad:

Originally i wanted to create an Oil barrel that was:
1-capturable
2-tradeable
3-upgradeable
4-with a unit cap

Its a disgrace i can only do 1 of the 4 at a time. Way too many problems than i can tell you right now come up as you go trying to make it happen, so i decided to just make a unit, not in the build list that is upgradeable. As you can see i now have the silliest of all issues. My life sux when i try modding this kind of thing on civ 3 :sad:

My modern armors are civ specific and i managed to get the upgrade chain right with the king flag, but im still having the annoying name bug. Imagine having a tank and all are named Elizabeth... If i change the leader name to Modern Armor i fix the problem, but the leaders of the world will all be renamed to 'Modern Armor' in the diplomacy window. Im trying to incorporate a little more realism in my mod but now i gotta deal with leaders named after a tank, or having an army of tanks named after the leaders lol.

The reason why im using an oil barrel to be auto produced and then upgraded to a tank is to try and mimic real life. In real life you just dont pop out tanks out of a factory for free. You bring in the materials, you pay for the labor, and then a tank is made. In my mod you refine the oil resource which becomes an oil barrel that can then be upgraded with gold to a tank.

Also after some testing i found that a unit can only be capturable if your civilization is able to build it. That means it meets the tech and resource requirements, and its available for your civ, unless you selected the 'flag' flag

So far so good cool, but then i realize that cities will auto-produce this unit till the end of time and any of these units that are unused will just sit in a city making the game slower and slower. I decide to put a cap on how many you can have at a time by giving it the army flag and lowering support req to 1:1. Its supposed to work but now because i added the army flag my units can no longer be captured, and the auto-production wonders ignore the fact that its an army, so it keeps producing them.

Ok then so i decide to switch from auto-production to city production of oil barrels with the army flag so that it caps and you can only have X amount at a time. This is the only way to cap units, but now my barrels cant be captured, and also my tanks are named after leader or leaders named after tanks.

The last 2 paragraphs pretty much summarize whats happening to me. Any way around that?

EDIT: Man there is so much wrong going on in my mod in regards to this i get confused a lot. Im gonna type this before i forget. I've made a dumbed down version of this work and all im missing is my upgrade link. So far I havent found a way to upgrade to something that is not on your city build list unless you use the 'king' flag. Can this be done with another combination of flags? from Oil Barrel -to- Modern Armor without having my modern armor being the 'King' unit?

I finally got it right, but i dont understand how :crazyeye:. In the japan conquest scenario the king is an offencive unit that gets the name of the leader, but the unit its using is called Shogun-1 thru 10.

I did the same thing was done there and i get now different results :crazyeye:. I did was upgrading from a 'king' unit to another 'king' unit which basically gave me the same results as in the scenario with that annoying leader name on my tanks. however im upgrading now from a non-king to a 'king' now and it is just as you said. Is that what i was doing wrong? I would like to know because i can apply this knowledge to other things in the future. Thanks a lot seriously. I've been trying to get this right for about a week and i cant believe i messed up cuz of a little tiny mistake.

Ahhh I think i've identified my problem. The 'King' unit cant be placed on the map like i had because i was gonna test other things after i solved this upgrade problem i had. So that placed unit with the 'king' flag was being named Caesar and every time i upgraded my Oil it turned into basically Caesar in a tank lol. The game was thinking it was my actual KING unit. I removed it from the map and the first upgrade i did with my oil Barrel was an actual tank, then i upgraded it to another king unit, and it was an actual modern armor. Huge load off my shoulders thanks again :D

Its weird sometimes the things this game comes up with... That doesnt even make sense to me, but at least i know now and wont repeat it.

Instead of making a new post i guess i will just write it here. Just when i think i got things workout the AI fails me. I just have a simple question:

Does the AI know how to play capture the flag or is that victory condition purely for human amusement? In the editor i put a princess outside Madrid. A Spanish warrior eventually came out to guard it, however it didnt pick it up to take it to its capital city to get the bonus gold i selected as a reward. I waited 20-30 turns and the warrior just stayed out hanging around the princess.

Must this be somehow activated for the AI to work or the AI is just plain stupid as usual? Do they fare better at reverse capture the flag?

Top Bottom