New SG!!! Regent? Emperor?

Looks like a decent spot to me. Something I was never clear on: in the spot M60 mentioned, do we get the benefit of the river even though only the corner of our city touches it? I've never tried it because I don't know how to check short of building the city and trying to build an aqueduct. At any rate, assuming we do get the river benefit, that seems like a good spot for the capitol. I might suggest moving the worker to the wheat, and irrigating/roading that before mining as that will help growth more. After that, the rest of the plan seems fine.

BTW - is Pindicator in, or do we need another? (ironmikie, or perhaps yoshi)

[party]

Who's your daddy, tech support? Who's your daddy!?

[party]

Okay, so the answer was something so simple, I'm almost ashamed to admit to it, but with the thoughts of a partial install on my original attempt brewing in my head, the idea just sort of popped up: maybe DirectX 9.0b was also installed only partially, causing the crashes. So I uninstalled and reinstalled everything (cause I'm superstitious with computers like that), and it works! And now, let the party begin!

:D

So you don't have to find a replacement for me after all; anyway, I will ask to be put near the end of the list, because I have an out of town wedding to attend tomorrow, and work sandwiched between, so I really won't have much time until Sunday. Technically I could put that within my 24/48 being second, but near the beginning I'm sure we want to get a quick start to keep interest high.

And to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this infernal machine:

:thanx:

Edit: And tech support never did return that email, this being the 5th business day, and they said within 4

Good going Pind!!

Well, you know that as soon as we start playing the patch will be released, right? Conversely, if we wait, they'll never release it.

At any rate we said 24 and 48, right? also what will be the number of turns? 10 I would imagine, but many times the first few turns are 15 or 20. Whatever the case, I'll be here when my turn comes. (after M60, IIRC)

Let's roll. Just make sure the early people make sure to settle on rivers to take advantage of our Agr trait. The starting location will give us the extra food bonus in the cirty center, so I'd settle there. Given the map location, we've probably got lots of Jungle north, and it seems like lots of mountains south.

well if there's no need for a replacment i'll be lurking around.if there is a need just pm me. :)

Cool, we got started and I never knew 'til just now! I like to go for pottery first as a tech and then alph. and writing. Get a settler after those 2 warriors and we'll be all set. Oh, BTW. I changed the order around based on what Yoshi 74 said. rdomarat can go next, then me. SesnofWthr after that, and pindicator last, but not least.

I'm a builder, so Pottery first is what I'd do as well, then b-line for Repulbic, but I've had a few drinks tonight, so ask em again when I'm sober.

Am I next after M60 then?

Without a definitive answer on the turn count, I decided to go with 20 to start. The reasoning is that it gives each of us a chance to develop a plan and execute it, without it suddenly stopping, and then a separate direction starting. My primary emphasis was to get a strong base of operations going from which we can draw on a number of options. The second was an extensive a search of our surroundings to give us choices on where to settle from here. The other objective I had was not getting careless with civil disorder, or leaving the capital easy prey for a wandering barbarian, should one suddenly pop out from nowhere. Based on those objectives, we still only have the capital CI after 20, but it has a granary, and it’s ready to crank settlers, workers, javelin throwers, or whatever else we need. I think maybe after we’ve all done a round, maybe drop to 10 turns each. So, that said, here’s how it all went:

4000BC- worker mines, settler 1 NE.

3950BC- settler finally gets to drop that darn knapsack after waiting on Atari support and a patch that has yet to be seen. Warrior in 4. Science to 90, WC in 18.

3900BC- zzzz

3850BC- zzzz

3800BC- worker mine->road. MM CI growth 4>3.

3750BC- Growth in 2, warrior built. Move out, soldier! Heads north. Warrior in 10. No, that won’t work. Need recon. MM warrior in 3.

3700BC- worker moves to wheat plains tile.

3650BC- worker starts to irrigates wheat. Recon continues.

3600BC- Another warrior. Granary in 12. Recon sw verifies not 1, but 2 gems! Liz Taylor will be pleased to hear it.

3550BC- Warrior trips GH. So yes, Virginia, there are barbs in this one. Get “skilled” conscript. Assigned to Military “Intelligence” unit.

3500BC- wheat irrigated, move to second wheat tile. More terrain checked out. Anybody out there? No sign of civilized life yet.

3450BC- more traveling by our troops

3400BC- Skilled conscript enters GH. Steps on feet of barbarian chieftain, creating international incident. His two twin brothers appear. Wheat irrigation under way, growth in 1, lux to 10 to keep ‘em smiling at pop.

3350BC- Epic battle of Barbarian Mountain. Our warrior redlined, but survives first attack. Second barb decides he’d better entrench, lest our 1hp conscript fell him in one blow. Third barb decides now would be a good time for some R and R, and hightails it out of the combat zone. Wimp.

3300BC- Where’s the math major when I need him? According to the sacred scrolls of Bamspeedy, I need the granary to complete right before the city pops, but we have too much wheat being worked. I can’t get the numbers to come out right by rushing pop and trying to complete granary right before the following pop Not enough shield production.

3250BC- More terrain revealed.

3200BC- Risk having heart ripped out in heresy trial, by actually slowing city pop growth to make granary arrive at right time.

3150BC- Another GH to pop. Do you feel lucky? Ceremonial Burial, why bless those Cherokee! Now we actually can build the temple at Chichen Itza.

3100BC- Granary in 1, pop in 2. looking good. Yet more terrain revealed, but still no civs discovered. Consider signaling the Enterprise to beam us up, as there appears to be no intelligent life forms here.

3050BC- Granary in, settler in 5. GH sold on E-Bay for 25 gold.

3000BC- My work here is done. Time to go take the jaguar for a walk.

All-in-all, it wasn’t too bad. I would have like to have met one of the Civs by now, as the clock is ticking on our UU. A fair bit of the surrounding terrain gives us some choices. We have dye west and gems south. Wheat to the west looks attractive as well. If there’s one area I’ll probably be second-guessed on, it was not pushing city growth more. As I see it, we have enough sustaining power now to push settlers in several directions every few turns with our factory, and the neighbors aren’t even in sight yet, buying up the choice lots.

On the question of is the tile by the river, right click the tile. Straight grassland has no gold. Any tile adjacent to a river gets 1. That’s how you know. You can’t always depend on the graphics to tell.

High Priest Reg is up next, go take it to em!

Hey guys. It's 4am here on the pacific coast, and I just got off work. In about 10 minutes I have to chug the rest of my coffee, pick up a friend, and head to Tillamook (yes, where they make the cheese) for a friend's wedding, but first I'd thought I'd check out the save and do some quick pointers. Whether or not I'm blowing smoke is up for you guys to decide; just giving an opinion, that's all.

First of all, Chichén Itza needs a little bit of MM to get the most out of growth. Moving the citizen on the forest tile to the wheat on the plains will keep the settler in 3 turns and bump growth from 5 to 3, which is just good timing all around. Or we can move it to the wheat on the grassland, which will still keep the settler in 3 but move growth to 2 turns. I don't know which is better, especially since any growth to pop 5 will cause us to bump luxuries again, and I like to keep city growth and settler/worker production syncronized if i can. Then again, I've always heard that fastest growth is best.

IMO, the settler should go 3 tiles east of Chichén Itza onto the forest tile located NW of the flood plains wheat. This will keep our cities close together for better AA defensive mobility, put the city square on a river, and just be a great location for a future worker/settler factory, with the flood plains, wheat, and surrounding forests.

With the map that we currently have, I would put the next settler 3 tiles west and one tile NW from Chichén Itza. This will not be as good as a growth with the surrounding forests, however, it will hook us up bananas and dyes, and it still will have a BG square as well as what looks to be a grassland square SE of the bananas. From there I would expand north towards the other wheat. But I'm sure something will come up first. After we get a better idea of the surrounding terrain, possibly someone who's better than I am (cause I suck at city placement, really) could do a dot map?

That's all from me for now. Great start, and a solid set of turns M60.

Got it.

Got it. I'll play my turns later this afternoon when my wife can watch the kids for a bit.

I think pin brought up some good points on location. Here’s a few other thoughts for consideration.

Black dot gives us river position with proximity to gems.
Red dot isn’t on a river, but with culture growth nets 5 bananas plus dyes.
It then provides a jumping off point to pink dot which allows us to grab the wheat fp tile.
Blue dot is an interesting one to me. It’s desert, yes, so it will need an aqueduct. But, it allows far more access to the hill tiles, at least 5 of them. Combined with the 5 fp tiles, one of which has wheat makes this a potential powerhouse down the road.
Green arrow points to a yet unidentified tile, but appears to be jungle. But it is on a river, and fits in well with blue dot.

Reg probably will want to get a warrior down 4 south of CI so he can check out the lay of the land from there. It would at least help us figure out what is buildable in that direction.

I’m sure the rest of you have some better ideas, so please jump in.

OK guys, I've been trying to check out this save for two days now. Either I'm an idiot or it's not really there. Definitie potential for the idiot option. When I click the link above, I get a "cannot find server" error. I thought I found the zip on the uploads page and was able to download that, but now I can't extract the files. What is going on? I would like to get this resolved before it's my turn.

Originally posted by SesnOfWthr
OK guys, I've been trying to check out this save for two days now. Either I'm an idiot or it's not really there. Definitie potential for the idiot option. When I click the link above, I get a "cannot find server" error. I thought I found the zip on the uploads page and was able to download that, but now I can't extract the files. What is going on? I would like to get this resolved before it's my turn.

The hyperlink wasn't setup properly. If you simply type the link in the address bar of your browser, you'll get ehe save :

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/M60_3000BC.ZIP

OK reg, your link works like it should, but I'm still having the same extraction problem. When I try to extract the files, it asks for a directory to unzip to. No matter what I put in for a directory, when I click "next" nothing happens. It refuses to go to the next step. Is there a password on the files? I have an option to enter one, but don't see anything about a password in earlier posts.

Edit -- BTW,what is going on with these screenies?

Top Bottom