New SG!!! Regent? Emperor?

So then what am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a specific utility to unzip it? I'm running XP home so I have just been using the extraction wizard that pops up. Is that different from winzip? Maybe I should find that to try?

Ok never mind guys. I downloaded Winzip and that opened it no problemo. :) Stupid xp extraction wizard ....

3000 BC - MM in CI, moved labourer from forest to wheat on plains. Settler in 3, growth in 3. Switched from The Wheel to Alahabet. No need for better untis until we meet other civs IMHO.

2950 - Explore with Warriors.

2900 - More exploring. Nice looking river valley to the north.

2850 - Settler built. Produced another settler, since we should expand early when there is no resistance. Worker finished road, sent him to build road through the mountains to new city location (black dot) and will link up Gold along the way.

2800 - Another Civ! Nice river valley to the north has pink lines close to it. Debated re-routing settler to grab prime sport earlier, but decided against it. We'll have another settler in 5 turns that I'll send north and use our northern explorer Warrior as an immediate defender.

2750 - Make contact with Incan Warrior. The Advisor has the following to say about the Incans :

- Their military outnumbers us
- They say we technologically backwards
- Our people are impressed with the Incan culture
- The Incans army fears our Warrior
- The Incan military has the spearman

They already have three cities, and have Bronze Working, Alphabet and Mysticism and 10 gold. They are polite, but won't trade. I send our Warrior up for a closer look. Switch research back to The Wheel in hopes of trading it with the Incans once we get it.

2710 - Found Copan at black dot. Start producing Warrior. West explorer Warrior spots another luxury, but I can't tell what yet. Incan city of Cuzco is size 1 with a spearman in it.

2670 - Our palace expands. Who cares, we have more important things to worry about. Incan city of Tiwanaku is size 2 with a warrior. West warrior spots a Fur luxury. That's three we can hook up if we do this right! CI grows to size 5 and would drop in civil disorder without attention. Pull a labourer off a firest tile and switch to entertainer for a turn since we only have one turn left until Settler pops out.

2630 - CI build Settler. Move him north to grab prime river location between us and the Incans figuring we can build outside in and find the rest in. Decide to crank out a Javelin thrower to send to the northern city with the warrior for defense. A little MM in CI to maximize JT production without sacrificing on growth. Western warrior heading home to become southern warrior and explorer the mountains to our south.

2590 - Incan city of Cuzco grows to size 2.

2550 - Road to Copan half done. Move worker onto Gold mountain tile so I can build road next turn. Incan city of Tiwanaku drops to size 1. I wonder what they rushed. Our settler will be in position in 4 more turns. CI grows to size 4, growth in 3 turns, JT in 2.

2510 - Copan build a warrior. Fortify warrior in Copan and switch to worker. First worker building road to link up Copan and Gold luxury. Incans still polite, still won't trade. They don't have any more cities or Techs since first contanct. We get the wheel in 4 turns.

2470 - CI builds a JT which we send north to the yet-to-founded city. Change production in CI to Settler. Start moving northern warrior to yet-to-founded city as well. Southern warrior sports Incense! That's 4 luxuries within 5 tiles of CI, with a fourth only 10 tiles away. Another flood plain to the south. CI grows to size 5 and would go into civil disorder. Drop science down to 80 and lux up to 20. We'll still get The Wheel in 2 turns, and CI is happy.

2430 - dum de dum de dum

2390 - Incan Warrior looks be moving towards the sweet spot, but we'll get there this turn. Warrior and Settler now in place, JT will arrive in four turns. I check the diplomacy screen and the %$%#@ Incans just got The Wheel. There is nothing we can now research that the Incans don't already have. I decide to stick with the Wheel, since we get it in 1 turn, and I can drop science to 20 and still get it, netting us 7 gold this turn.

2350 - We get The Wheel. No horse resources in site. Found city of Palenque and fority warrior. Begin building Temple in Palenque to expand borders and protect from culture flip (up for debate, but we'll be sharing land with Tiwanaku and are 5 tiles from their capital and 8 tiles from ours). Even w/32 gold and making 9gpt, the Incans won't trade techs with us, so I decide to bump science back up to 80% and go for Horseback riding. The Incans are likely going for Iron Working if they don't have it, so maybe we'll end up with something to trade for. I"m worried they already have Iron Working of course. Lots of hills to the south.

2310 - Settler from CI, worker in Copan. Set for another settler in CI. It looks like we've got a good 5-turn Settler factory in CI if we manage it right. Will build city 1 tile SW of dyes. Switch Copan to build Javeline Thrower (up for debate). Set new worker to building road to yet-to-be-founded city to link up dyes.

2270 - Gems hooked up. The upper class parties in CI suddenly become more extravagent. Lux to zero, science at 90, breaking even. Move worker to second game tile in forest to build road. 2nd worker building road on bonus grassland by river in Copan. Warrior scouting to south finding lots of hills and mountains. We've got a lot of room to ourselves here. Incans now have a fourth city and still won't trade with us, even with 30 gold and 11 gpt.

2230 - Javelin Thrower arrives in Palenque.

2190 - Forty JT in Palenque, start building road on game tile, settler arrive at city location.

2170 - Tikal founded, continue to build road towards Tikal.

Here's most of the world as we know it now. The orange circles are new luxuries that we haven't hooked up yet, and the red dot is where I'd put the next city with the settler that's about the pop out of CI. We can fill in the lands to the west and south later, but I think we need to claim the land in between us and the Incan ASAP.

Attachments

• wolrd.jpg
    wolrd.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 161
And the save, Conqueror '91 is up next.

Here are my observations, for what they're worth:

We need to know what is hidden to our northeast. There are not many good city locations north and south because of large patches of hills/mountains and jungle. There are some sites to our west on the plains, but I imagine our eastern explorer will be meeing someone else soon and then we'll want to try to expand out to them.

The city location Reg suggested is the best spacing for our existing locations, but is also w/in range of the volcano explosion -- do we want to risk it, or move the city an extra spot away?

We should get a defender to Tikal ASAP because our mil. adv. says there are barbs nearby.

Personally, I 'd like to see a city SW of Copan soon so we can get a curragh going around the continent. That will also allow us to grab the spices.

Whenever we get a worker to Palenque, we should focus on shield improvements as it will be a food powerhouse no matter what we do, but w/o shields it will actually grow too fast.

Reg -- I'm not sure why you changed the research a couple of times. I understood the trades you were looking for but it burned several turns of research on us. Without the changes we probably would have gotten the wheel in time to trade it away.

These are my thoughts, they may be way off base, but that's why we've got 5 people playing, right? :)

A lineup:

M60A3ttS
rdomarat
Conqueror '91 -- Up
SesnofWthr -- On Deck
pindicator

Very good, Reg. All these lux finds are going to keep our people quite pleased for some time to come. What I’d throw out is this: Palenque is so close to the Incan capital, it’s in danger of being overrun in a war should one break out early on. I think the culture flip is a secondary risk. Given enough time, it could very well flip. Prior to that, one of us may decide to call a war council. I’d immediately get one of those Palenque defenders right into the mountains south of Cuzco. We’ll be asked to leave, but not before getting a look at the layout around his capital. I’d also use the build queue in that town for workers, rather than a temple, at least to start. Disease will claim a number of lives before we get a temple in place. With workers, we can expedite a road connection to CI that will allow us to reinforce Pal if needed. Then the workers can continue to build out our road network. Once we have a road in place from CI to Pal, then I think temple option is fine. Agree that we should fill in north w/ a new city. 3-4 tiles north of CI would mean we only have to road a single jungle tile to go from CI> new city> Pal. If you choose to go red dot, ok, but need more time to road xtra jungle. That east desert tile as a future city site I mentioned in my previous post is still attractive as perhaps our second new city. I see it has a game tile available on culture expansion. It will be interesting to see who we run into with the eastern scout. Since we’re located basically middle map, new contacts may allow us to be near-term tech brokers. As far as the tech switch, IMHO we should be free to make a switch as needed, but weighing the lost research time vs benefits of new tech. Just to explain why I went wheel, if we wanted conflict early on, prefer fast movers ready to take out bad guy's iron supply if practical. Extends shelf life of UU if we keep them in archer-spear mode.

good points M60 and Sesn.

For turn lengths, are we going to continue doing 20, or drop it down to the standard 10? With four cities now, there's a lot to look after and putting it down to 10 would also give us more time for input / analysis from the other people on the team.

I think in fairness, since Reg and I got 20, the rest should get the same # thru round 1. But if one of you feels more comfortable just doing 10, you should certainly be allowed to. It would be nice if CQ can get some time in tonight.

I got it, should be back tonight or 2morrow afternoon. I'm going to use CI's settler to build in the east on the floodplains with wheat, due to early growth potential, then use CI to build a settler or improvement, and I could send it to the red spot for the second city(I just have that feeling) You are entitled to yell at me.... I will keep that road going to Palen. and start a temple. I'm gonna try to keep relations with Inca up high and think about war when a few more cities in place.

I wouldn't build it ON the wheat tile. One over from it would be ok. That way you can improve the tile. Don't like my desert tile, eh? All those hills have gold river bonus! Food, shields, gold... it's like the New York of the future! But certainly play the game the way you think is best. I'll be curious if you send east scout up gold mountain if he spots another civ.

I made the largest Civ Mistake in all of history in 1525 BC. I saw three, maybe four Incan warriors walking towards Palenque. So I called up Pachacuti and told him to remove his forces or declare war. Guess which option he took. Mind you that he was polite during this time. The only explanation is that I think he was on his way to kill me anyway. During the IBT, we lost the Jag but held off a warrior with one of our own. Four or five turns in, I built Yaxchilan 1 sq. E of the wheat east of CI. 5 or 6 turns after that I built Bonampak near Palenque, but I believe it was 1 sq. SW of the spot you had indicated. I wanted to loop both Bananas. CI is size 7 with a temple, our lovely capital. Three of Sappy-Inca's warriors are on the way, so watch out for the results of my stupidity. Good luck, and sorry I was too busy to give you the turn log, I just didn't have time last night. Aiight, SesnofWthr, it's all yours!

Ok, I see it, but I haven't "got it"... mainly because I don't see the save there. I'll check the uploads page and see if it's there. If I can find it I should be able to play tonight, or tomorrow night at the absolute latest.

EDIT: Didn't find the save on the uploads pag - sent Conq an e-mail, waiting for response ......

The reason I didn't post the file was 'cause my computer wouldn't let me on the site. It said the server was down. I'm back now with the file, sorry I made you search the list...

Wes, you may consider abandoning/razing Pal. I hate even the thought, but since we've got Pyramids and temples going while at war, it doesn't seem that we have an ability to support it's defense, even Pal itself is building temple. Could switch it to walls/warrior, but don't know if you'll hold on next turn @ 3-1. Good luck.

OK, I really have it this time. Will start my pre-flight eval. soon.

I did a rather quick eval because dinner was on the table, so now with a little more time, here's a bit more. IMHO, I'd hold Pal and take my chances. The Incan 2/4 warrior will possibly fall back to heal, and the second warrior is cross-river, so I like our odds a bit more. Definitely would switch city off temple. Bonampak is size 1, growth in 3 worker in 1. That won't work, switch to warrior. My real concern is with CI off-line as a settler factory, now building Pyramids, the Aztecs to the south may eat up the incense AND spices. Maybe whip granary at Yax. Copan has temple in 2, then suppose we could go settler. Just curious, are we going for a cultural victory here? Thought it's a tad early for temples otherwise.

It is very early for switching CI off of setlers. There is still plenty of land to be grabbed, and there is no reason why we should be taking away our best asset to grabbing that land (the settler factory).

Okay, so we may have over-reached on our initial expansion; now we have to defend it. I haven't had a chance to look over the save myself, but by the sound of it, we are already in a hole.

First priority is defending ourselves from the Incans: we are in no situation to attack them last I checked, and I don't think we've improved much militarily. With that in mind, we need to switch CI off Pyramids immediately. Can we switch it to a barracks at little / no shield waste? After that we have to decide if we can hold our own against the Incans with CI as a settler factory, or if we need it's military production. If at all possible, keep CI as a settler factory, because we will be at a severe disadvantage later in the game if we cannot stake a decent claim in the AA: it really changes the game from what we'd like to do versus what we have to do later on to stay in contention for victory.

Second priority is to secure a peace treaty as soon as possible. If this means we have to kiss a little bit of Incan butt than so be it; just as long as it's not too extravagent. We can always take it to them later on when we're big and strong, but for the early portion of the game, it's the AI that has the advantage (usually).

That's about all I can think of off hte top of my head. Definitely switch that worker to warrior; we need to set up another city to act as a worker factory in the interim, well after the war most likely. In the meantime, be sure to watch for those small things. Another reason why I like 10-turn lengths; keeps the mind fresh for those things.

Good luck Sesn, I'm sure you can get us out of this.

OK guys, finished up my turns, will post turnlog etc. momentarily. First off, I was chomping at the bit to see what I could do so I dove right in. Might have been a bit hasty, and for that i apologize. Had I known you would want to drop the Pyramids, I would have acted accordingly, but it would have wasted at least a chunk of shields. I believe we are in a better spot now. I did abandon palenque. I thought about the wounded warrior and such, and considered rushing a spear, but felt we were outgunned and chose to keep the warrior. Now that my turns are over, the first thing i did was go back and test this twice. First I left him defending and we lost. Then I attacked the healthy warrior that was not across the river, and we lost again. If preserve seed is on (I assume it is) then I actually made the right decision for once. :)

Top Bottom