I meant it! You're B-A-D, dude!!! :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :goodjob:

Speaking theoretically... Bo, would this be the 'possible' situation?:

USSR: 'Quiet as a Mouse' Boli
Germany: 'rediculous' Gary
UK: 'conniving' Morten
JAPAN: 'enigma' Duke
USA: 'blood & guts' Voltar
Axis Minor: (???) Eivind
Allied Minor: 'stage wright' Bo, the 'AI', or (Pete?) who wants in?????

Hey, just clowning around with the nickname guys! :) :)

Wow. Could turn out to be 'the' CIV2 (WWII modern) game-of-the-year-to-watch!!!! Ah... sorry to sound so excited...

Eivind, "Cunning" works for me... partner! :)

Boli, hey, remember that old Peter Sellers flick, 'The Mouse That Roared'? Hillarious. Six guys with crossbows conquer the USA! :) :) :)

Everyone should just download v.1.2 from the the "scenario donwload" section. Forget about all the other patches, 1.2 is the newest one.

Well, in spite of the great promises a 7 player could yield, I still think it is best with preferably max 6 players, where Minor Axis is the 6th. It would be enjoyable for me to follow the game from the sideline.
If you all feel ready, I think Gary should launch the game starting a new thread. I shall try and PM Pete if he still is interested, and perhaps start another game in a month or so if there are more willing to have a go for a game.

So, let's roll those panzers out in the open! :) :king:

I'm sorry but I don't think it's a good idea to have just one of the Minors played by a Human. Perhaps it would be wiser to add events for Minor Axis to help them along.

1.) I understand both sides of the debate... both Bo, and Alex. Could easily argue for either. I don't know much about... well, much! :) but I do know that every solo game I've tried (as Axis) I've had to war against the Minor Axis WAY to early in the game (and I note as we speak, that 'Italy' has launched pre-emptive strike into Germany in game #2 on what, game turn '20-something?' They are even an annoyance to me playing solo, prior to war. For example, marching south through the Balkans, clearing out the defensive units, only to have some Axis minor unit (not involved) move into and occupy a key city that was cleared out by and, basically, German the next turn. Thus, unnacceptably 'cutting' German advancement further south (roads!), neccessitating Germany to declare war, just to remove them. As such, they've become (in this instance) from a MINOR Axis, to a MAJOR hindrance. ***Anyway, I don't profess to state anything definatively. Who knows if one, or both, Minor's should be played by humans? But, like I said previously, I'd be willing to play allied France in the next game. I'm confident that, regardless of whether or not I prevent Germany from over-running France, it would be I who was Germany's destruction. The cost to Germany of trying to move through human controlled France, I think, would be just to much, even 'years' before worrying about the Soviet onslaught. But... I DO NOT KNOW the answer. It's just my thoughts, and we can find out. Personally, I do not see myself tiring of this scenario any time soon!

2.) I believe that it is the Soviet player that would start the thread/first turn.

3.) AWAW1.2, downloaded and installed, is crashing out on me (SMEDS error, 'memal' error of some sort). However, I have been putting BOTH patches into the game. From what I've read above, Bo, would this be the cause? Apparently, you state I should simply load AWAW1.2, PERIOD, with no patches?

edited 'P.S.': I suppose that we could make Spain 'neutral' with some agreed upon thing like neither Axis nor Allies using, landing, whatever, to reflect real life? 'Twas no great secret who Spain supported 'behind the scenes' in real life, anyway. Perhaps something as easy as 'No troop movements/attacks OUT of Spain, UNLESS any allied invasion (landing) or movement (invasion) into Spain? This way, there wouldn't be a real concern of Axis troops headed north into southern France turn #1, and also (possibly) prevents the USA from simply moving into Portugal and commencing a 'free' buildup of forces in the Eurpean theatre?

Better give me a day or three to think this one over! I just installed it and, in lieu of an upcoming game, started it solo as Germany. Lots of differences. One thing: Germany looks like she's going to be CRUSHED... well, very RAPIDLY in this 1.2 version.

I guess I need to take the time to 'cycle' through all players in order to catch the flavor of it, but, "It don't look good!"

Any of you guys tried the first 6-10 turns as Germany, solo? Then... look at the others starting. Russia... WOW!

Am I 'missing' something, or just to 'deat beat tired' (and slightly buzzed) to comprehend what I'm looking at?

Perhaps another choice is for Eivind to take the Axis (since he did request them first) and Gary to take the Japanese then?

I looked at the game briefly and the Japanese may be too much of a time commitment for me.

It did look to me like an Axis player with a Minor Axis AI severly limits the Axis player (I was also rather surprised to see the Spanish as Minor Axis).

You guys decide and let me know if I can be of use.

I'm also going to split this thread so we have one for the old game and one for the new game discussion.

TF also removed the 'patches' links from the download page:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmod.shtml

This was a mighty fun PBEM, everyone! Thanks for giving me such a great gaming experience! I would very much like to start a new game with the new version. Anyone else interested? :)

I disagree somewhat with Gary that the Axis are inferior. I played a full game with the Axis in a solo game (with v2) and conquered both France, England and a huge chunk of Russia, although the latter gave me considerably more resistance than the former. It was a mighty fun game, and the minor Axis didn't really prevent me from much, actually they helped me attacking France in the south AFAIR. But it is an alliance that has to be tendered and monitored carefully.

Perhaps an idea for v3 would be to have the Axis controlling both Germany and Italy with North Africa, since the germans did most of the fighting anyway in either theatres. (AFAIK)

Guess what, everyone? I just played around with the scenario (sober, no partying) and it looks good! <blush>

Bo, I like what you've done with the city populations... at least in regards with the Soviet transit points. Game #2, I've massive Soviet defense guarding against a 'suicide' attack (the Asian transit point destroyed for good with two good attacks?)

Shall we begin?

Gary

Hold on... let me just subscribe to the thread... :D

You sure USSR starts first?... Join senerio get atacked by german and Japense Divisions.

Well, I don't know who to deceide if one, two or no players should play the Minor Powers.

Good that you have been able to install the new version now Gary - there are quite a lot of changes as you already have seen. Anyhow, it is GERMANY who starts the game - the Soviets are last inspite of being placed first in the nation selection screen; as we all know it is Germany who ignites WWII by launching the conquest of Poland.

I just remembered (I think?) that USSR kicked it off first test game?

OK, since I already admitted my blush earlier (1/2 crocked, madly attacking everything in sight last night)... give me a few moments. Guess that it's time to start off then with some 'behind the scenes' SECRET diplomacy! ;)

Allow me to get in contact with fellow Axis, and I'll then post game turn one.

By the way, I presume I'd just start the 'multiplayer' scenario like I do in game #2, but start turn one? I'm sure I'll figure it out.

BO: yes, I had kept installing both 'patches' into version 1.2, which kept crashing the system. You may want to mention in the 'download' write up, that these patches aren't needed for version 1.2??? (Jeez, I'd hate to think I'm the only one 'rookie' enough to be confused by them!!)

Civ2dip? Seems more appropriate amongst human players.

Gary

Top Bottom