Missionaries.

Swaty

Chieftain
Hi.

I have had this issue now in two games in a row where after establishing about four or five missions my chance of establishing a new one drops dead from 61% (for the last game) to 0%. Is there a cap of some sort that I have missed? Have been searching around on the boards but not found anything about this.

only Jesuit missionary have 100% chance to establish. All other chances drop as you establish successful missions.

Yes yes, I do know this. But to drop down from 61 to 0 percent at once? Are there some sort of cap of number or missions? After all, 0 means I will never ever be able to establish more missions... I just find it a bit strange - I would totally buy 10% or something, but nil?

I have seen it drop to 0% in one of my games. I believe I was playing the French and deliberately started a lot of missions. Some expert and some not. After about 6 or 7 missions established it dropped from around 60% to 0% just as the OP described.

I wondered why all of my late-game missionaries had failed. How annoying. And what's more, it gets you a negative relations modifier with the natives.

wonder why it was added into the game anyway like this... i could understand the % would fall for each you setup in same indian type... so 3 missions with tupi should not mean a new mission with Arawak end up 90% with expert person...

It's to stop "mission spam exploit" which is where you mission every native trive, refuse to accept their settlements, and farm their tribes for converts. In vanilla it was worse as you just threw those converts into native villages to learn straight away, and then you had an ever growing army of free colonists for literally the price of...... nothing!

then they should have made it so that Experts begin at 100% and a normal at what 60% perhaps... then drop 20 per one made from each tribe... So setup one with Tupies, awawaks and incas will all be 100% if by experts and next in each will be 80%...

Okey guys, thanks for clearing that up.
Still think you should not let the successrate fall below 5-10% chance or so, I had a bunch of missionaries out there heading to tribes when it hit 0.

But I do understand why you want to limit the number of missions :)

On a marathon game, I had established a total of 2 missions. I was probably about 210 turns in at this stage, from memory. At this point I sent another Jesuit to a different colony, and found a 0% chance. Sent him to another few, all of which were 0%.

I understand that this change is to prevent the exploit Dale mentioned above, but it seems to be excessively heavy-handed, particularly when I'm running a marathon game. And only established 2 missions!

Top Bottom