Free gallions?

Wheldrake

Warlord
From what I've seen, in v1.10, all the AI players get free gallions, including the various kings. This means that very early in the game, all the various kings have gallions roaming about, meaning that my foreign affairs screen is cluttered with a lot of guys that I can't contact, and that I can't declare war on. I can attack them with privateers, but not with frigates or other warships.

It's not a real issue, since they seem to always be empty, but it's kind of annoying. Is there some reason why these AI kings have gallions roaming the seas so early in the game?

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Ya I noticed the same thing... tonnes of galleons doing very long and probably pointless trade routes. On the harder levels and later in the game, they also seem to have abundant frigates.

Hopefully 1.11 will address...

What, you mean the various European kings who should be absent from the new world until somebody declares independence have both gallions *and* frigates??? I haven't noticed that, but I have given up trying to play v1.10 at anything above the 2 lowest difficulty levels just because it is impossible to compete. I can live with the competing colonial AIs getting a few free ships, especially at higher difficulty levels, but IMHO there is no reason why their kings should be present in the new world prior to declarations of independence.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Ah I misread your original post... you meant the European kings are sending galleons all over?? I've never seen that... I thought by Kings you meant the other colonies.

Seems very strange to me.

Yes, I play exclusively on faireweather maps, and in every game I've played under 1.10 there are extra galleons belonging to the European *kings* in addition to those belonging to the competing colonial powers. I can deal with the competing colonials having "extra" galleons or even a few extra frigates, but having their European king present with their own galleons is kind of annoying. Only privateers can attack them, since you can never declare war and can never negotiate with them. AFAIK they never have cargo, since they have no home ports to pick up cargo in, and they never carry passengers since the European kings can't send colonists to the new world - only the European colonials can do that.

So at the end of the day, it's simply very strange to see them on the game map, confusing for the diplomacy screen and confusing in as much as they shouldn't be on the map until a competing colonial has declared independence.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Ya I honestly can't say I've ever seen that, but it sure sounds strange. I wonder if anyone else has ever seen it?

I´ve been playing as Pirates quite a bit, so my ships are usually all around the trading lines and I have never seen any european king having ships at all in the new world before DOI.
Mostly playing Caribean map, maybe its related to the faireweather maps?
I have seen the pirate king having a 4 swashbucklers on an island in the very first turn on faireweather once, but they disappeared the next turn.

edit: actually let me take this back, i just happend to run across 2 Galleons owned by the Tsar of Russia(I got screenshots of them, if anyone needs them), while the russian colonists are still at peace with the Tsar (Turn 122)

I was playing a WH map as England. I used about ten turns to get up to NA and found the Dutch there too. Forty or so turns later two Chinese king galleons were circling outside of a Dutch port.

Noted .

Top Bottom