Favorite Unique Unit?

I love the English unique units. Longbow's are monsters on defense, I love that extra range that they get and they upgrade into actual functional ranged units. And Ship of the Line? Come on, naval dominance.

I love the English unique units. Longbow's are monsters on defense, I love that extra range that they get and they upgrade into actual functional ranged units. And Ship of the Line? Come on, naval dominance.

Yeah ship of the line is pretty sweet, I would actually replace B17 as my favorite on maritime maps.

Yeah ship of the line is pretty sweet, I would actually replace B17 as my favorite on maritime maps.

The air targeting promotions are also pretty sweet particularly if you have your B17s with air repair, attacking naval units.

I'll second the Kris Swordsman. For personal reasons, they incentivize breaking me out of my worst habits (avoiding warmongering, not building enough units, not risking units) by

1.) Requiring Iron, which I then must fight to control (and which will then be super-useful later for building Frigates, since if I'm playing Indonesia it had better be on an Archipelago map)

2.) Requiring battle to know what you've got (I'm not going to just let that question mark stay there, after all)

3.) Designating the 1-out-of-4 negative upgrade units as cannon fodder and city takers (and half of those are just fine at defending a newly captured city anyway, so bonus.)

A big team of Kris just develop into such an ustoppable tactical force that it can be unbelievable.

Another unorthodox pick for me goes to the Dromon. Early ranged naval combat is hilarious, plus if you go Honor with them, these guys can just sit outside coastal barb camps raking in culture for you, and eventually gold as well.

Another unorthodox pick for me goes to the Dromon. Early ranged naval combat is hilarious, plus if you go Honor with them, these guys can just sit outside coastal barb camps raking in culture for you, and eventually gold as well.

Yeah so many good uniques but the Dromon rank highly in early maritime units. With hi def speakers on a good computer it's almost like candy just watching them take down inferior triremes. Mmmm. I like fire.

I was coming to this thread just to post this. Dromons are a blast to use.

Okay nobody has mentioned this unit so I nominate the mighty Panzer tank for the Germans. One of my most recent Domination victories on Immortal was with waves of Panzers blitzkrieging their way into enemy terriroty. Their strength and movement is awesome and you can take a good sized City with about 4 of them with no artillery support. The only down side is having enough oil to support them so it is vital that you get as much oil as you can as Germany

Personally... even though it's not the best, my favorite is probably a toss-up between the Winged Hussar and the African Forest Elephant. They both add a fun extra dimension to warfare. Sure, units like the Keshik and the Panzer are extremely strong, but they, well... they don't really have as unique or battleground-changing a touch as AFE's. I'll actually find myself teching towards such units and using them actively on the battlefield just for the interest factor.

The extra strength + shock I give it over 32 combat strength on open terrain, which is close to Cavalry strength and available earlier in the tech tree.

The promotion for extra damage to wounded units is terrific as it buffs the strength even more. Once you have armory, WH can be born with the promotion (because of the free Shock I). Purchased Landsknecht get it too -- just remember to upgrade them to WH before assigning XP (or you waste the Shock I promotion). Late game Landsknecht Helicopters with the buff push around everything but SAMs. Great fun!

English Longbowmen, hitting cities from safe distances. Gotta love them.

Hun's Horse Archers, doesn't even require horses and are insane if used properly.
My other favorite is the Zulu Impis, who doesn't like those?

Nobody said it so i think maybe...
Great Merchant of Venice
I like them so much :)
Well about real UUs i'd say both american ones
if you manage to get brandenburg gate minutemen can come with cover 2 and drill 2 or medic 2(instead of cover) or even blitz or siege plus ignore terrain cost AND golden age points through kills
b17 comes with evasion siegeIII and another one.Boom

I just decided today that kris swordsmen are my favorites. So many awesome promotions, and the occasional unlucky die roll is no big deal. The potential to eventually have infantry that can attack twice and gain extra movement or heal 20 HP extra a turn is just...wow. :D

Pathfinders are pretty great too. Who doesn't love being able to choose your bonus from ruins?

This post could be in a form of a Poll, with all available UU's in the game listed, and giving each respondent up to (example) 3 choices of their farvourite Unique Unit choices to vote on (from all available UU's listed). Of course a differentiation between land and naval (and possibly air) units could be further developed, creating more than one poll. This way the designers would know more accurately which UU's they did a great job on, and which, well, kind of suck.

This post could be in a form of a Poll, with all available UU's in the game listed, and giving each respondent up to (example) 3 choices of their farvourite Unique Unit choices to vote on (from all available UU's listed). Of course a differentiation between land and naval (and possibly air) units could be further developed, creating more than one poll. This way the designers would know more accurately which UU's they did a great job on, and which, well, kind of suck.

I like that idea. Sticky poll! Maybe favorite UU by era too.

Jaguars are cool, since you can build them from the start and use them as very effective scouts/worker stealers due to the woodsman promotion. They make even better scouts than Pathfinders IMHO.

Keshiks are insanely powerfull if you get to Chivalry fast enough, I can usually take out everyone on my continent before they become obsolete, and then ride the puppet empire to a Science Victory.

Top Bottom