Pete's guide to Emporer level domination wins.

This strategy guide is tailor made for an old version of Vanilla/Warlords. There have been a lot of changes in BtS, but the essense of the article is still valid. It is best to make some adjustments, like save most forests until mathematics is completed. The traits of leaders mentioned is for Vanilla/Warlord, so they are often wrong in the context of BtS. Otherwise, the strategy guide is useable for BtS; just fon't expect it to work as well as it did for old Vanilla/Warlords.

Sun Tzu Wu

I get what you mean, but still it sounds like it would be better to skip this guide. There are dozens of other strategy guides that are updated to BtS, so it looks like it would be better to spend the strategy learning time with those, right?

I get what you mean, but still it sounds like it would be better to skip this guide. There are dozens of other strategy guides that are updated to BtS, so it looks like it would be better to spend the strategy learning time with those, right?

Sure, a domination guide updated to BtS and validated by a number of players would definitely be better than this obsolete domination strategy guide.

Sun Tzu Wu

I'd suggest posting a new thread, 4000 BC save, screen shot, and get advice as you go.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll try other guides. I loved this one for its simplicity and its focus, but knowing that it is so obsolete, and having so many other good strategy guides out there to learn from, I think that I will go for those.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll try other guides. I loved this one for its simplicity and its focus, but knowing that it is so obsolete, and having so many other good strategy guides out there to learn from, I think that I will go for those.

Reading guides is always good, but I can assure you that what cseanny recommended is absolutely the best way to learn the game fast.

Your link doesn't seem to be very helpful for players learning Civ IV. Not even for saving files.

However, I was able to find the forom thread "Civilization IV for Dummies" here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295952

Seriously, strategy articles are a good choice. After trying a few such articles, cseanny's suggestion of playing a game in your own Strategy and Tips thread would be a great idea. You may want to lurk and participate in a similar thread started by someone else to learn that way, before starting a thread of your own.

Sun Tzu Wu

I was able to find the forom thread "Civilization IV for Dummies" here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295952
I'm playing (and winning) at emperor here! I think I'm past the "for dummies" level ;).

Seriously, strategy articles are a good choice. After trying a few such articles, cseanny's suggestion of playing a game in your own Strategy and Tips thread would be a great idea. You may want to lurk and participate in a similar thread started by someone else to learn that way, before starting a thread of your own.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds interesting. I'll give it a try.

Guides are useful when you don't know enough to even ask the right questions. I often get stuck even when trying to ask questions in the strategy forum. Interest in helping me improve my strategy peters out and I get stuck with not much to show for it. So some good warmongering guides, especially ones that can help walk one through several games would be really helpful.

6. Initial worker actions.

Build roads. If your cities are all on the same river (never happens) then you automatically get trade routes. Otherwise, you must build them. Build them to bring your science back up 10%. Hook up your food and resources and build cottages on all grassland/flood plains.

This is a slippery slope. Many people make way too many roads. If you don't need the health for awhile, don't spend 4 turns to road it in, chop.

guides can be helpful starting out, but many of them are made by players playing inefficiently, or situational. Depends on map and situation what you do.

Top Bottom