GOTM 19 Download & Information

starlifter

Deity

The Story

Your civilization rises from obscurity in 4000 BC, and because of it's unique nature, will possess a wondrous asset: it is called a Wonder of the World. The mystics assure you that this Wonder will help your civilization... it was built for you by the ancients in tribute to your glory. Choose wisely!

You are charged to rapidly conquer the world or send a spaceship of colonists to a faraway star... you know the path ahead is difficult... emperors have told you about this level... you know the barbarians are raging... and at the dawn of your civilization, YOU alone must decide which wonder will reside with your civilization... which of the Seven Ancient Wonders is your desire?

The mystics further advise that none of the 6 competing civilizations in this medium world have a wonder or any kind extra help from the ancients. You are free to pursue any science, government, and strategy you choose for your civilization... and of course may compete with your enemies to build any additional wonders you desire.

The mists of time begin to clear........

your destiny awaits!

Attachments

• gotm19.zip
    41.3 KB · Views: 245
Note: The gotm19.zip is 42 KB and contains 8 files: the 7 .SAVs and this Text file.

If you cannot handle the ZIP file: download the individual .SAV files in Post#25 (next page: here ).

GOTM 19 - Additional Info

Setup Conditions:

Map Size: Normal (50x80 standard random map, default settings)
Difficulty: Emperor
# Civs: 7
Barbarians: Raging Hordes
Custom: Don't Restart Eliminated Players (others selections not chosen)
Civilization: Russian (Lenin)
City Style: Medieval Castle
Science: Bronze Working, Ceremonial Burial, Horseback Riding (BW, CB, HBR)
Units: 1 settler (Founded Moscow in BC3900, on Turn #3)

Special Conditions:

1. All .SAVs are identical, except for choice of Wonder.
2. You may load and study all 7 BC3900 .SAVs before choosing.
3. Play only your choice of the 7 .SAVs (they are identical, except for the Wonder!).
4. When you complete your chosen game, you can try the other 6 variants.
5. Two game turns have elapsed.
6. A hut was on the plains SE of Moscow.
7. The settler entered the hut and got a NONE Archer, which moved due West.
8. The settler founded Moscow, and which contains the Wonder of your choice (choose the .SAV to play).
9. All other conditions are STANDARD; game is random and unknown to anyone.
10. Judging from the start postition, any style of play seems to be well suited, including OCC.

Notes:

1. Be sure to include your 3 .SAVs (AD0001, AD1000, and save BEFORE final victory).
2. Please rename .SAVs to the following format: Yourname GOTM18 1000AD.sav
3. Keeping the log is optional.
4. E-mail entries to: DoM@civfanatics.net by 5 September 2002.
5. Remember to keep an eye out for Special Award nominations (nominate here).

Links:

GOTM Home
GOTM Forum
GOTM Rules (Main Webpage)
GOTM Rules
GOTM Archives
Special Awards Rules
GOTM18 Sp Award Nom
GOTM19 Sp Award Nom

Special Credit: Old n Slow, for his wonder discussion in another forum that eventually led to this month's idea!

The GOTM is a monthly game of Civilization by Civ Fanatics Center (CFC).

Reprint from last week's " What wonder will you possess in BC 4000?" poll, here. Read that thread if you want opinions from many diferent people about what wonder to choose ;)....
Here is a short summary of some things:

1. HG - Good for early celebration thru size 6... plus the city collects resources at the next higher form of Ancient government (e.g, Despotism collects Monarchy resources, Monarchy collects Republic resources, Republic grows).

2. Colossus - Excellent for trade and SSC. Can use the trade to make happy citizens & celebrate, at the cost of science or tax. Longest lasting Ancient wonder, except Pyramids.

3. Pyramids - Excellent for accelerating growth. Some do not like the unhappiness that must be controlled at Emperor and Deity. No gold support for Granaries and no expiration.

4. Great Wall - (300 shields) Attack bonus against Barbs... horsemen will cut thru barbs like a hot knife thru butter, plus your cities are quite safe, even defended by just a Caravan or Warrior. AI must offer peace (not too good for warlike Republics, though).

5. Oracle - (300 shields) Any Prince or King player might really appreciate this, as it can be powerful if available from the outset... with Temple & Mysticism, FOUR red dudes can be made content (or 2 red & 1 black, or 2 black). This effectively makes the early game Emperor into a Prince level game in terms of contentedness.

6. Lighthouse - Need Triremes to make use of it. Excellent for an early conqueror wanting to hunt down the AIs without diverting 200 shields into this wonder.

7. Great Library - (300 shields) You have probably not played the game with this wonder available from the start. You will get all the techs in the game with it. your cost of research will go up, but if you're not picky, you can just bump your taxes and cruise.

This is a reply to A_Bashkuev's post , which is more topical here :).

by A_Bashkuev:
Very good brain-working, I've just see GOTM19 & was first to download it. My promise I'll take my Oracle as I've already promise it.
You are free to choose any of the 7 wonder, Alex ;).

And - thnks for name of starting city.
BTW, I have sad feelings about old days of Civ1 & new days of Civ3, why the hell our Russian leader is Lenin? Stalin (from days of Civ1) made more for existent Russia then Lenin, & Catherine the Great (from Civ3) made greatly more then Stalin! Why our Leader is Lenin, eh? Oh, forget it..
I took the standard setup options when making the game, and Lenin is the name of the leader Civ II uses. Maybe the name should be Putin, eh? :D

Dear Starlifter!

On, no - we play some games - not some Politic or politicians!

Well, my point was - we have some "girl" in our Civ2 set as possible "Russian" ruler. In my games if I can't change my leader name I always play game as "Great Katy" - Sophia Frederica Augusta von Anghalt Zerbst, who was known as "Czarina of All-Russia Catherina II". She was real nice girl (if it can be told about any Russian ruler) & she brought "real Europen Culture" in my land. All Russian literators, musicians, artists appeared in last of her rulership or in 1-2 generations after it - it was "Golden Age" of Russian Culture.
Well, Lenin was other case... Um-m-m...

We decide don't talk about Politic or politicians, don't we?

Thanks - in any case, I appreciate your choosing of Nation & Starting City. Leader Name... Well, Sun has some bad spots as well... Thanks anyway.

Brgds Alex.

Not sure I like the look of this at all. It may be on Emperor, but it still seems far too easy to me. You get a free wonder and none of the other civs do! The capital has 3 whales! This game should be a doddle whether by conquest or SS. The only difference will be who chooses which wonder but I reckon that everyone should win with a start like this! I wanna read logs where people get creamed by the Zulus in the first 3000 years! Or at least where their spaceships are blown away by the Vikings.
I know that you want them to be accessible, but the GotMs should be a challenge now and again too! One month you could have a Prince game with a relatively easy map but the next time I want Deity+18 on a three square island!!! Or something slightly tougher though perhaps not that bad. ;)

This looks like fun, though I might take half the month trying to decide which wonder to have. Initial thoughts... I'm leaning towards the 300 shields and build the others.

ferenginar 99

by A_Bashkuev:
Well, my point was - we have some "girl" in our Civ2 set as possible "Russian" ruler.
Ahhhh... you mean Catherine the Great! Yes, she would have been the default name if gender was Female ;). Yes, Catherine was a great ruler... a few years ago, a television Network here in the US made a good historical movie about her.

Sun has some bad spots as well...
:lol:

We decide don't talk about Politic or politicians, don't we?
LOL, the political debates are in the Off-Topic (OT), here. And in OT, people find many bad spots in the Sun! ;)

BTW, I think you are our only Russian player; do you know any more people in Russia that play Civilization? If so, invite them to join CFC and play this month's game :).

PS, You can change the city names & spellings as you make new cities.

by Duke o York (aka The One With Only A Playstation ;) ):
Not sure I like the look of this at all. It may be on Emperor, but it still seems far too easy to me.
LOL, since when has any GOTM ever been "hard" for the experienced players? :lol:

The GOTMs need to be interesting and playable by the majority of participants. Last year, we even had a game or two at Warlord, but I like other alternatives that allow King-type players to have a playable game at Emperor or Deity (like this, or like Smash's Fundy last month).

The most experienced players are always going to beat the AI anyway.... the challenge is more one of strategy, efficency, fun, and seeing how others approached the same game. For me personally, reading the Spoiler Thread is half the fun of GOTMs... and to me, it would be a crock if 80% of the players got creamed (like happens in the Civ 3 GOTM sometimes). Ergo, none of my personal GOTM suggestions will be for nightmare type GOTMs... the AI's role in life is to get pummeled by humans... ;).

The only difference will be who chooses which wonder but I reckon that everyone should win with a start like this! I wanna read logs where people get creamed by the Zulus in the first 3000 years!
We will enjoy reading about the AI whooping up on you, Duke! ;) That is, when you get a PC (this Fall, right?)!

I know that you want them to be accessible, but the GotMs should be a challenge now and again too! One month you could have a Prince game with a relatively easy map but the next time I want Deity+18 on a three square island!!! Or something slightly tougher though perhaps not that bad.
Try Samson's Size-One OCC Challenge (that's where you can have only one city, and it can never ever be more than size 1, and you must beat all AIs to a SS landing!!) with this game & see what happens (Size One OCC is difficult on any map!)... Or maybe the Size 4 challenge if Size 1 is a bit frightening :eek: (OCC Paulicy). If that is too easy, then stay in Despotism & allow yourself only warriors and freight/caravans.

In case anyone has been following the group of us in Andu & Kev's Deity Plus 1 (Deity+1, or Dp1) game in the succession thread (here), levels higher than Deity can be played, but not loaded, with MGE. They must be played in 2.42 (Classic) to have error-free save/loads. And we crushed the AI, even with no bribing and the big AI advantage of D+1. I think D+5 is about as high as it will go without crashing the game (Andu is playing a D+5 individual game). The GOTM won't be at levels higher than Deity.

Anyway, the purpose of GOTMs are not to come up with nightmare challenges, but to appeal to a wide audience, be fun, and give us all the same game to play.

Hmmmm..... I've just though of a new acronym. Duke o York's Nightmare Challenge (DoYNC, pronounced "Doink" :lol: ).

:)

by ferenginar:
This looks like fun, though I might take half the month trying to decide which wonder to have.
I have not started it yet, but I have it narrowed down to 3 wonders and a maybe wonder: Hanging Gardens (great for Early Republic, if the terrain turns out to be hospitable!), Colossus (always a good choice, and produces Gold and Science from the very outset), and Pyramids (if one is ready to handle the early Emperor unhappiness issues), and Maybe Oracle. Definitely no Great Wall, Great Library, or Lighthouse for me personally (just not my playing style with those wonders). Oracle is interesting, esp. since one of the 3 starting techs is Ceremonial Burial. Like Alex pointed out, normally, Oracle is so short lived that it is not worth 300 shields. But in this case, it is available from the outset, and costs zero shields.... sooo Alex may be onto something with his thoughts on this.

Hey! floppa's got Civ 2 on Playstation and I think VC might too so :p. :D
If I was to play this then I'd probably take the Colossus at the start to maximise the income from the three whales. You're going to get 20 arrows at only size three when you change to Monarchy and then it'll explode! With all the water then your city will not grow to maximum size but you can get loads of arrows! Despite the 3 specials only, you're practically presented a SSC with all the water and the potential for easy roads over much of the area. :goodjob:

To accomplish the wonder gift, is this a scenario again? Or are techs withheld each time like a regular game?

by Duke o' York:
Hey! floppa's got Civ 2 on Playstation and I think VC might too so
I just had an idea! I don't know much about playstations, except that programs like CloneCD and Nero and CDRWin, etc. can indeed write the CD which can be read by PS. I'm wondering if the save file can be written to CD and then your PS can read it. CD-Rs are about 20 cents ($0.20 USD) these days, and a couple files would only take about 2 minutes to burn, if you knew anyone with a PC and Internet access. Do you think PS can read a saved game on CD? I know you can't write the game and upload it with a PS, but at least maybe you can play them to tide you over until you get a PC or Mac.

by Tim:
To accomplish the wonder gift, is this a scenario again? Or are techs withheld each time like a regular game?
No, the files are not a scenario. The games are totally normal, except the Wonder has been added in each respective file. The game is a straight random game created with 2.42. The first 2 turns are played because the city had to be founded to add the wonder. All 7 .SAV files are otherwise identical, with no cheat mode or scenario mode. Use the standard rules.txt and games.txt, too. Techs are normal, which means you get the normal withholding.

You can check it for sure by looking for Polythiesm. By my calculations, you should not see Polythiesm when you get a science choice. It should be hidden because PT is a Category A tech, and this is the 1st tech to research. Alphabet "should" be hidden, too (it is Cat. A like PT), but... the 1st Alphabetical tech of those at selection time is never hidden.

PS, My personal technique for playing GOTMs is to make a special GOTM directory (like "GOTM19" for instance) and copy the save and rules.txt into it, then load the starting save and begin. That way, scenarios, and nonstandard rules.txt files that might have installed won't interfere :D.

This either something wrong with my computer or the wonder trick has messed up the file a bit but there are TWO WHITE CIVS1
I noticed this when I built MPE and was able to contact the Celts of all people?!?!

Ignore that, I reinstalled MGE and reloaded the file and those mysterious Celts are now the Japanese. Everything is fixed, I think it had something to do with a MP game i played where the host had a Rules File with some errors in it??

This either something wrong with my computer or the wonder trick has messed up the file a bit but there are TWO WHITE CIVS1
I noticed this when I built MPE and was able to contact the Celts of all people?!?!

That is quite strange. I would ordinarily ask you to send me the .SAV and I sould find out why, but I intend to play the game myself.

The .SAV is totally, 100% a random map, made with 2.42. Nothing special or odd about it. The addition of the wonder has zero zilch zip nada side effects, other than it's usual wonder effects. I do not know the Civs in the game yet, but I chose the White (Russians) during setup, and I selected "No Restarts"... otherwise, I'd almost suspect a Civ was split. But if you just got MPE, you won't have the conditions for civ splits to occur yet. What version of Civ are you using? I have not tested Mac and ToT and FW versions, but this game will work normally under 2.42 and MGE for sure. ;)

Zip your .SAV, and if anyone else notices celts, make a post, and I'll play GOTM19 to a point where I can check it myself. I had not planned to start GOTM19 until next week, though.

Ignore that, I reinstalled MGE and reloaded the file and those mysterious Celts are now the Japanese. Everything is fixed, I think it had something to do with a MP game i played where the host had a Rules File with some errors in it??
Ahhh.... yes, of course. It is the rules.txt. Attach the rules.txt files that you were using, and I'll tell you what the problem with it was.

To all: Read the new thread, "Shopping List: Standard Individual Files for MGE & 2.42", located here This may save headache, and prevent your GOTM from being messed up or even disqualified!!

Well here it is Starlifter, one problem though, the Censored civ built some cities with Censored names that are now controlled by the Censored . And I am quite far ahead of the other Civs, now it may be because Censored of the Censored on that Censored and so slowed down their progress. I thought maybe the error had changed the difficulty setting but that shouldn't happen, right??

I really don't want to start again as I am quite far in and im not sure I could pull it off again.......

BTW: In relation to Floppa's PSX Civ2 problem, why doesn't he download a PSX Emulater for his PC that plays PSX CD's and convert the Civ2 Save into an Emu save.Censored

Starlifter -- looks good; :) no wait --looks great. :D What a delicious temptation -- the opening start looks almost too good to be true…a serious temptation to try an OCC. If not it would be hard to find a better SSC in a short period of time.

Can’t wait to get started (Aug. 6 -- have last month’s great game to finish). :goodjob:

Top Bottom