Legends of Citana: The First Era

The sun was high in the sky, and the briny scent of the sea curled over the beach. The ever-present beat of the tide was background to the Meet, where anyone could come before the chief and present ideas or to argue points of rule. At this moment it was Tari, a warrior with a strong religious zeal.

“My chief, living in the not-water is folly. The scouts may believe that the Creators have gone and it is safe here, but their hearts are filled with doubt. The scout Huara told me himself that, until the whole not-water is explored, we will never know.”

The chief merely petted one of his harem members, who in turn was stroking the fur of a guard seal, who was staring intently at the warrior who looked like he was threatening his pack leader. “You have been listening too intently to those witches, haven’t you? Let me guess – priestess Irill put you up to this, hmm? She came to the Meet several days ago to protest what I expect is the same thing. But, in the interest of fairness, continue.” Chief Quilla spoke with a calm, measured pace, making sure that every syllable was heard by those assembled.

Audibly gulping, Tari continued. “My chief is correct, I have been talking with the, the priestesses. The witches, as you call them. But what they speak is true. Our place is in the water, swimming free. Not tied to the solid not-water, as we seem to be out here.”

There was silence as Quilla thought about this. He stood from his throne and crouched to the ground. Everyone in the court – a generous description of the room, it being little more than wooden planks and poles holding up a smoked seaweed roof – stood bewildered, most of all Tari, all wondering whether they should be joining their chief in crouching. He was drawing Chuaraqchu, albeit a simple version, relative to the coast, in the damp sand. He then drew, in what would be the sea, another, smaller collection of buildings. The chief then straightened himself out. “I am sure the priestess Irill told you that I immediately dismissed her idea of returning everyone to the sea. That is true. Then, that night, She came to me in a dream,” many of the more pious muttered a prayer at the mention of Her, “and told me that the piscans can rule water and not-water, but some will not be willing to live in the not-water. She told me that these too can be part of the empire I shall build. A town will be built underwater, to show this can be done.” He walked back to his throne – again a description far more generous than it should be, being a simple wooden chair. “If you had waited for my announcements this evening, you would know that the city is to expand into the water – not just the tidal zone, but beyond that. The tower problem is becoming expensive [1], and we want people to expand out – either to the water or further not-water. If living in the water works – which I am sure it will – then we can expand further into the water.” He got up again, coming very close to the warrior, his voice dropping to a whisper. “In fact, I don’t think I’ll be able to directly rule such a place. Who knows how far away it would be? My decrees won’t nearly get there fast enough. I’d need to install a, let’s call it regional chief for now, wouldn’t I? Do you understand, ch-, I mean warrior Tari.”

He didn’t at first, but the stare went on just long enough for various barriers to break down, finally realising what Quilla meant. “Oh. Yes, I understand my chief. And, uh, I would, um, it would be ruled as the regional chief saw fit?”

“As long as I, or my successor, for who knows how long it will take, sees that rules he is making are the correct one, I don’t see why not. Whoever it is that gets the job, they will have nobody to answer to but me.” He walked back to his throne. “Is that satisfactory, warrior Tari?”

“Yes my chief. You are most gracious.”
****​

[1] In Chuaraqchu, if someone could hold onto land against aggressors, it was theirs to do what they will with. The chief, however, took taxes initially on how much floor space the building took up – small taxes but taxes none the less. In a way to get round this, those that could afford it built up. However, all of Chuarqchu was built with wood with the occasional rock, and the piscans had not quite got the hand of architecture. This led to a lot of collapsing buildings, killing many and injuring many more. What Quilla doesn’t mention here is that he is including a change to the tax system, where the volume of the building is taken into account, since there is no real floor in the water.

Thank God Terrance had not sent orders.. I however, how have.

Thank God Terrance had not sent orders.. I however, how have.

Why are you thanking god that I didn't send orders? Are you planning to attack me? What would you think if I had sent orders and already prepared some defensive strategies?

No! eq would have not waited to update and I would have missed getting orders in :p

News from the Nations of Citana​

THE DEATH OF DAVID. Zinar, Yevah. The stories of the people of Yevah this year revolved around a hero named David who had departed from Zinar to search for fortune in the Harar Desert. Anointed as the Champion of Yevah, the hero David walked east to much fanfare, searching for further fortune. Against the odds, he survived to reach an oasis where he recovered his supplies of both water and food. Journeying south, he travelled across the bland and hostile deserts, until he at last reached another oasis, surviving where many past explorers had failed. Travelling east, he found at last a pass out of the deserts, north of the Shadow Mountains. Skirting along the mountains, David was at last slain, by an unknown cause, having failed to achieve anything, weak and weary after his travails in the desert.

Angeld
Spoiler :

The dwarves of Angeld continued a process of expansion and development this year, expanding their control over the central island of Citana. Patrols were sent along the river and into the woods to establish scouting outposts and reliable maps of the region. This has helped secure farms and other homesteads from random attacks by bears, but so far, it seems little has changed other than marginally increased security for the dwarves. The most important step was the founding of Wetfeet Hold at the mouth of the river, acting as an important trading port with Deepdown Hold. The settlement went fine, constructed out of numerous scrap materials from the stockpiles at home. Throughout the final years of this period, scouts in the south have reported strangely tall beings which have been reported in the woods, stripping them for lumber.

Elder's Challenge: The strange beings in the south have been growing increasingly aggressive, and some of our scouts have gone missing in the woods. How do we respond?

Barakdwell
Spoiler :

The Ayar of Barakdwell's great focus for this period of the First Era was on the establishment of a caste system for the new monastery for the meditation upon magic. A number of levels were established to measure the advancement of members of the Ayar through the ranks of enlightenment and magic. This has proven effective for the elite of the society, and the upper levels have gained new amounts of respect and admiration from the public, especially the humans around Greyview. The monks of the monastery have provided much boon to the humans and Ayar by magically conjuring the surveying and construction of a gold mine in the Talos Mountains.

The fight against dragon marauders continued throughout the Talos Mountains, as the Ayar skirmishers continued to try to destroy or force them to flee from the mountains. Fortunately, the fighting has declined over the course of these few years, as the dragon numbers have declined, as most seem to be leaving the mountain range for other destinations. The few stragglers who have remained have fallen easy prey to the Ayar, who continue to employ their flight tactics against the lizards, destroying those which remain. The war against the dragons ultimately led members of the skirmishers to encounter the Yevah tribe of nomads in the north. This encounter led to some limited trade, as the Yevah nomads purchased a significant amount of minerals from the Ayar traders and merchants for gold.

The war against the dragons has revealed some small weaknesses in the fighting strategies of the Ayar. Unfortunately the high altitudes of combat frequently mean that any injury is a fatal one, as a crashing Ayar is likely to be well beyond the skill of any standard healer. Therefore the order of the Lost Seekers has been founded, a group of magic users with rudimentary use of magic for the purposes of healing. These are mostly the individuals considered unsuitable for entrance into the monastery, doing their best to help their fellow Ayar regardless.

Karan's Challenge: The use of magic to erect a gold mining cave seems to be having an effect upon the humans who are digging it out. The Humans involved seem to be gaining an inherent ability to use magic themselves, and could even develop skills beyond our own. How do we respond?

Barslov
Spoiler :

War has come to Barslov Island, as Emperor Vral orders retaliation against those who abandoned the empire to become nomads. The city guard was sent upriver to locate and bring back the nomads to civilized society, through force of arms. The army quickly located the nomads, and in a night attack, slaughtered the guards, and continued the butchery through the rest of the camp in a panicked evening of bloodletting. Few were spared the city guard's bloodlust, as thousands were slain or scattered an fled. In the morning, the survivors were offered the choice to return as citizens or slaves, and needless to say, most chose to reluctantly return to the city, and have been a source of growing crime and banditry within the boundaries of the empire. Those who escaped have also turned to criminal activity, which continues to rise throughout the region. (-50 City Guards, -5% Loyalty in all cities)

Some concern arose, as the site of the battlefield was explored, a site of a mysterious ritual conducted by now deceased members of the tribe was discovered with a tablet with the following inscription:

Those who have slain us shall feel our wrath in our passing.
All those who drew swords and cut us down will become as beasts.
The curse will be forever unbroken, spreading to those not slain.
The empire will be bathed in blood as its own turn upon it.[/b]

As people rejoin the society of Shadowhold, the population has grown substantially and overcrowding has worsened. Many of the returned nomads have departed to establish the town of Satara, along with a substantial amount of notably loyal subjects. The new town has been established along the coast to the west, offering a vital supply of lumber for Barslov's construction and development. Unfortunately, the lack of any naval presence and increased amounts of bandits throughout the interior of the island, has made it very difficult for any regular trade. The absence of any true roads has made what trade there is, very difficult to conduct.

Emperor's Challenge: One of our more influential officers in the City Guard of Shadowhold has been implicated in a series of vicious murders throughout the city. The victims have been seen torn apart as though mauled by a bear or a wolf. The man's family have appealed to the emperor to allow him to live, and so far the man's capture has been kept quiet. His family is easily the wealthiest in Shadowhold and crossing them could mean unfortunate results. How do we respond?

Ghoststone
Spoiler :

The Ghost Elves in this period of history saw the development of great things in terms of magic and mana. The first of these was the establishment of the Magian Ungul by the tinkering mage Flynajoon. This order was established as a group of magic users dedicated to the growth and formation of elven civilization and society. Through their efforts, they can conjure buildings, weapons, and great magical wonders to put the rest of the world to shame. Dedicated to pacifist endeavors, the Magian Ungul are primarily focused on the development of Ghoststone and the creation of new buildings and infrastructure to ease their worldly lives, to allow more time in pursuit of magical growth. One such construction was the Eight Silent Empress Gates built to control the flood waters of the Silent River. Built primarily out of regular materials in a standard way, the mechanisms are completely controlled by magic, allowing for the movement of the massive flood gates with relative ease.

Emperor's Challenge: Our mages continue to grow more and more powerful, and they have begun to demand the construction of facilities for the training of more mages, as well as isolation from the magically weaker members of society. Needless to say, others will find this a bit arrogant and irritating, and it could strain the peace in Ghoststone. How do we respond?

Great Hive
Spoiler :

The Great Hive in this period continued to fight against incursions by both giant worms and lava leaking from the island's volcano into the tunnel systems of the Ithor. The worms continued to devour workers and warriors throughout the tunnels, as the city guards fought to the best of their own capacities. (-4,000 Population, -200 City Guards, -5% Loyalty) The lava was a bit easier contained, as the engineers of the Ithor did their best to shape lumber and minerals into a system of vents and other methods, allowing for the use of the lava in the forge and for purposes of heating. This has significantly helped in the forging of minerals for weapons and other construction purposes. The Ithor Princesses have emerged at last from slumber to help in the defense of the hive against the worms, and are considered to be the most powerful sorcerers in all of Citana.

Magical Kingdom of Zeal
Spoiler :

The Magical Kingdom of Zeal began suffering through a series of tremors and unusual incidents surrounding the mountain of Zeal this year. The tremors have damaged a number of outlying buildings, and a number of people have even been swallowed up by the earth. The best mages and thinkers of the elves have been dedicated to discovering the root cause of the disturbances, and have had significant success. It seems that the area is a breeding ground for giant underground worms, which have nested in the area. During the mating season, they feed from the surface as well as cause significant turmoil to the foundations of the elven buildings. This obviously has caused substantial uproar in Zeal, as the elves turn to solutions to this problem.

King's Challenge: The worms are constantly feeding upon our people and citizens, as well as damaging our buildings and city. How do we respond to this?

Quillaachu
Spoiler :

The Piscans of Quillaachu went through this period of history with a bit of confusion as a group of piscans rose to claim that life on land was against the will of Her. They claimed that living under the seas was better and more traditional than life upon the beaches of Citana. They called for the return of the piscan people to a simpler life under the sea, away from the dangers of the land. The response of the Chief was to claim that both life on the land and under the water was indeed possible for the piscan race. He called for the expansion of Chuaraqchu to consist of districts both above and below the waves. This has come with a redefinition of property laws and ownership, to call for taxation based upon the volume of a building, and not the floor space. With the growing allure of seas, the piscans have developed the Wooden Turtle, a vessel which plows under the waves, allowing for the transport of more supplies than merely swimming under the surface would allow for. Hardly watertight, the Wooden Turtle is still a marvel to other races, travelling quickly below the surface by rowing piscans.

Chief's Challenge: Pushing Chuaraqchu into the sea has awoken attacks by a number of other sea creatures upon the shores of our island. The piscans have been constantly attacked and/or devoured by a number of different types of sea life. How do we respond?

Sverstall
Spoiler :

The dwarves of Sverstall have done well for themselves in this period of history, as they worked to develop their community and improve the prosperity of the city. The greatest challenge of the period was the onset of new flooding and problems for Svenhold. The river kept flooding into the central cave, through a new break in the rocks of the mountains. Numerous efforts were made by the finest dwarven engineers to redirect the floodwaters into new irrigation systems outside of the caves. The irrigation has provided for new farms and homesteads, as the city begins to spread into the surface world from the depths of the mountains. In a more aesthetic approach, the waters which have already drained into the caves have been directed into a single pool, and filled with fish to allow fishing within the caves themselves.

Tribune's Challenge: Some of our people are less than pleased about moving out into the surface world, believing that our proper place is under the earth. Of course some disagree, believing that the wealth of the surface more than compensates for a loss of tradition and faith. How do we respond?

Vyraname
Spoiler :

A great dispute arose among the Vyraname over this period of time, as people began arguing whether or not the Titan Noreas could be considered a god. This was sparked by a growing cult which worshiped the Titan, treating him as the creator of man, as well as much of the rest of creation. The cult grew in size and influence, and ultimately, the emperor himself proclaimed the deification of Noreas, providing his own wealth and support for the growing religion. Emperor Shyras II has helped establish a new priesthood, though it remains beholden to the Iron Crown, focused around the monarchy, allowing further extension of power. Furthermore, the new order of Reavers has been established, an elite caste of warriors, and soldiers, skilled in melee combat and well armored for fighting.

During this period, the influence of the Vyraname has expanded greatly, as migrants moved to the central island, settling there in the new town of Esterhold. This is the first settlement of men upon the island, as they worked to develop the woods and mountains nearby for resources. A rudimentary lumber mill was established, providing exported wood for construction locally and at home in Falreagen. Contact has been difficult between both towns, as it relies completely upon sea trade and naval patrols and communication. Furthermore, strangely small people have been spotted in the woods as scouts travel north, described as similar to men, but smaller in every respect. No one is quite sure what to make of these tales yet, and most scouts are derided as madmen.

Emperor's Challenge: Some people have called for an expedition north from Esterhold to explore the island, and to investigate the claims of miniature men to the north. Others state that the expense would be too much to investigate myths and the lies of scouts. How do we respond?

Yevah
Spoiler :

The kingdom of Yevah have done well developing the infrastructure of their communities, and a number of significant accomplishments have been noted for this period. The first of these was the completion of the road between Zinar and Redar. The road has greatly eased trade and transportation between the two towns, as efforts are spurred on to develop both communities. The second major accomplishment is the creation of Statue of Un-Michael for the marketplace of Zinar. The statue is a magically endowed relic which has been enchanted to prevent violence or crime in the marketplace. This has done much to reduce crime within the center of Zinar, acting as a means of pacification. Some resent this development, but most agree the improved safety provided by the Statue is well worth any infringement upon liberty.

The army of the Yevah was quite busy over this period, as a new order of warriors was established to bolster the ranks. The Maccabees, as they are called, are an elite group of soldiers skilled in all disciplines. Skilled in both melee and ranged combat, as well as stealth, they are easily the most disciplined group of soldiers in Citana. The Maccabee order has begun expanding, and are growing in strength and influence in the government. The Maccabees and elements of the city guard have done well in exploring the Gen River, moving downstream to map out the territory. The efforts have been successful, as the lower Gen River seems surprisingly peaceful and serene, not much has been discovered in the process.

The other news was the marriage of the Judah with his long-courted flame, Ruth-len-Eli. The courtship was the gossip of the town for years, and it has warmed the hearts of the population to see it come to fruition. The marriage was a great party, and it brought the nation together in a way rarely seen. Within a year of the marriage, the first child was born, with their son Michael. The son has proven healthy and is clearly being groomed as heir of the kingdom when he comes of age.

OOC

After further consideration I have adjusted the numbers required to build a new town. At this point, towns can be built for 1,500 of any resource (Gold, Mana, Lumber, or Minerals). They still each require 1 Expertise point though, so take that into full consideration. This is in order to allow poorer nations to still be able to expand with the use of whatever resources they may be able to generate locally.

As of this update, all factions have been given a number of randomly generated heirs where applicable. This will be the last chance for any adjustments you'd care to make to your starting families.

The standard warrior unit has been renamed to "City Guard." This is to reflect the fact that they are not truly soldiers, but rather, easily expendable militia types, meant to die at the hands of a hero by the hundreds. Use only in case of emergencies, and expect failures in many cases when not fighting against other City Guards. They are also very bad scouts and explorers, and therefore, if you don't see any results from sending them out, that should be expected of these dregs of an army.

@Boundless: I appreciate the use of the warriors, but pacifying deer and other woodland creatures will not speed up the intake of lumber by any reasonable amount. Similarly, patrols are good and all, but you'll need to build a road in the cases of most towns. Fortunately, the river allows for barges and the like to facilitate travel without a road.

I'd furthermore like to point out that you can adjust your population of cities whenever you'd like, in whatever migrations you choose.

Once again, I'd like to reiterate that all terrain features have been given names upon the blank map on the first post.

NPCs will emerge and evolve naturally, and there are none hidden. When there are NPCs, they will be on the map, regardless of contact status with PCs or other NPCs. That's something to take into consideration by many of you.

@Popcornlord: I've adjusted my formulas for calculating the prices of units, therefore your Skirmishers have been adjusted for pricing.

About the Mana Reserve: Mana is NOT a tradeable resource like other materials. Also, these are the earliest days of history and myth of Nessan, everywhere has an equally high level of magic. Areas are more likely to have higher concentrations of magic as you create them, not I, though there is one or two rare exceptions (7 to be exact). Casting spells or building magical structures will help improve local ambient magic, so that would be my recommendation if you want your cities to generate Mana for the greater good.

World Map

Spoiler :

Nice update, I'll see what I have to work with from here :).

@Blaze Injun: Magical weapons CAN be devices. If you're counting things like swords or staves though, not so much. In the case of a particularly strong sword/staff, it may well create a hero to wield it. Yes, the bonus was added. As for the mage, I didn't see that when I did you orders, but I'll check again before I delete the ordrs/

Hey,
OOC
@Blaze Injun: Magical weapons CAN be devices. If you're counting things like swords or staves though, not so much. In the case of a particularly strong sword/staff, it may well create a hero to wield it. Yes, the bonus was added. As for the mage, I didn't see that when I did you orders, but I'll check again before I delete the ordrs/

Thanks for the quick reply.

I created 1 Magian Ungol, Flynajoon thinking I would need him to create the Great Spell: The Eight Silent Empress Gates.

I was thinking of a Sword that required Expertise, mineral, gold , Mana & possibily souls to create.
Demonic Blade of Narsoon
A black flameing blade that has has been bound with a conjured demon soul.
Cost: 150 Mana, 100 minerals, 300 gold, 7 expertise
Melee 2
Destruction: 2
Conjuration: 3

Blaze Injun

Can I contact Vyraname, or will that be (potentially) after the next update?

@Blaze Injun: Don't worry about the stats so much, put in what you want, and I'll give you the stats with the update.

@Boundless: We'll have to see how the challenges are resolved with the next update before contact occurs.

Nice update!
A question on mages, however...
On the front page it says novices produce .25 mana a turn. Do you need to invest expertise into that? It was the original intention of the lost-seekers - the healing is just to make them useful in war.

Nice update!
A question on mages, however...
On the front page it says novices produce .25 mana a turn. Do you need to invest expertise into that? It was the original intention of the lost-seekers - the healing is just to make them useful in war.

Novices can be trained at any moment. To get different trainers, you need to invest expertise and make a new kind of unit.

I was asking about the novices making mana, and my mage units not. Unless I'm misunderstanding the stats.

Apologies, your Lost Seekers should be generating .75 mana per turn.

I stole a lot of this from Dominions Three and Norse Mythology (also LDi's interpretation for an aborted NES)

Race: Vanir:

The Vanir are a race not too unlike men or elves, though taller and broader in stature. They are related to the elves in that they, like them, have fey blood and possess long lifespans (though theirs is not as long as the elves). They are resistant to cold and sensitive to heat, making their homes amongst the cold northern winds and disdaining the southern temperate climes. They are naturally adept in illusion and instinctually cloak themselves in glamour such that other races might look upon an army of vanir and see only a field shimmering and glinting with obfuscated and confusing shadows of soldiers. They are also natural sailors, having a natural affinity for ships, sailing and navigation, and horsemen, making use of a unique breed of fey horses only they are known to ride. Most Vanir villages are along coasts and feed themselves through fishing and hunting making only limited use of agriculture (though slaves of other nations do provide agriculture for them)

The Vanir are a proud race, their competence as warriors and warrior-sorcerers as well as their innate sense of entitlement means they often look upon other races, with the exception of the elves or other fey races, as lesser beings and they actively raid and conquer the lands of men, dwarves and others for slaves better suited to the role of miner or farmer. They only rarely trade with non-fey races and tend towards isolationism.

While the Vanir tend to have an absolute sense of loyalty to a central monarch, the monarchy’s influence in day to day life tends to be limited as the Vanir value their independence and freedom. A Vanir village chieftain may lead a ship or three of raiders to a human settlement without informing the monarchy but is ultimately responsible for any implications incurred. Despite this, the monarchy is the absolute authority in matters of war or major central projects and his or often her word is absolute law.

While illusion is a natural and innate skill of the Vanir, their magicians tend to focus on the paths of wind and death, and magic is understood to come from Helheim, where the fey pass through the gate stone to reach the other side. It is said that the greatest of Vanir sorcerers in ages past would hang themselves from an ash tree so that they might ride to Helheim and return masters of the arts of magic. Other Vanir mages focus on the path of air, learning to summon spirits of the winds to power their sails, serve in battle or as messengers as well as to conjure lightning and chill northern winds.

In war the Vanir call upon their natural glamour to travel unseen and to make battle with them difficult. Even in a desperate melee, the enemy may perceive only shimmering blades and confusing shadows and their raiders tend to travel unseen far and wide upon their magical fey horses. The Vanir have a love for cavalry but disdain archery, preferring to make use of javelins, spears and swords. Their steelwork is fine and their blades heavy but they tend to use lighter chainmail than investing in the heavy plate used by many other races. Their magicians are often warrior-magicians, also riding upon their magical fey horses and wielding primarily illusion and through their involvement with Helheim, necromancy.

The Vanir worship a goddess they say has passed on to Helheim and who now communicates with the Vanir through spirits, often taking the form of a raven. As such they hold ravens as sacred creatures and many will leave morsels for them or attempt to domesticate them. Most Vanir longhouses are home to a least one semi-domesticated raven. Their priests are always women and practice blood sacrifice, usually upon human or other mortal slaves captured in raids. These priestesses are called ‘Desir’ or ‘Dis’ and many are said to speak with the dead. Desir warrior sorceresses are said to have been able, in times past, to fly and command storms but the majority serve more as witches and diviners in modern times.

The Vanir are led by a king who is served by nobility from which the stocks of elite cavalry and cavalry sorcerers are drawn. Individual villages are led by a village headmen, who is often a competent war chieftain, sailor, and often commands air magic. They also maintain their own minor nobility as well. These are called Jarls. Below the jarls are the nobles and below these are the freemen. There is little social mobility amongst the Vanir, their adherence to tradition and long lifespans ensuring that most will serve the race as their parents did. Vanir freemen are often sailors or fishermen, as well as skilled hunters and craftsmen, especially competent in silver and iron smithy. Below them are the serfs who serve the nobles and below them are the slaves, often of other races who work the fields, quarries and mines.

Vanir:
Combat: 30% (skill and ferocity, a strong cavalry led by the nobility, disdains archery)
Magecraft: 20% (focuses on illusion, air and death)
Charisma: 5% (proud and isolationist, they often see other races as potential slaves rather than potential trading partners)
Stealth: 45% (innately skilled in glamour, even Vanir children can hide themselves from the eyes of man without willing it- elders can extend their glamour to entire ships or divisions of slave militia)

Civilization: Helvan

Civilization Name: Helvan
Dominant Race: Vanir
Government: Monarchy
Leader Name: King Hermóðr
Leader Trait: Fertile
Leader Backrgound: The King rules by tradition and ancient law, adhering to the advice of the Desir witches.
Starting Location: Northern edge of the western coast of the north-western continent. Near fishbanks and iron and silver mines. Amongst the cold moor, silent mountains and grey seas, a land of shadows and strange glamours (this assumes that we are in the norhtern hemisphere- if not, please place on southern coast of southern island- if both are equally chilled, then go for southern island, near forests, south coast)
Map Color: Grey, White, Black, Dark Purple
Preferred Leader Names: Anything norse.
Preferrred City Names: The capital is Éljúðnir. You can name other cities and settlements using norse ones as examples.

Spoiler background :
The Vanir were created by a titaness who fell before the cataclysm, and now serves as a dead goddess to which the Helvan turn in worship. They are led by a king, Hermóðr, who, in a younger age, was once dead, hung from an ash tree. He has returned to the Helvan after receiving the blessings of the dead goddess and assumed the silver crown from his father who understood that he was Hangadrott, chosen from the dead to lead the living. Under his guidance the Helheim have spread their influence, and his many children serve as nobles and Jarls, commanding villages, ships and armies.

The Helvan have domesticated a breed of magical fey horses who, like the Vanir, hide themselves innately in glamour and leave no hoofprint in the wake of their passing. It is said that the Vanjarls, the greatest of the Vanir nobles-warriors, are the greatest cavalry force the Citana have yet to see.

The Desir continue to provide their support and guidance and it is prophetized that from their ranks will rise an army of sacred female warriors who will ride the wings of the wind and strike with the fury of lightning and thunder.

Okay, so admintingly a major rip-off but I really like the mythology and description of the Vanir/Helheim and wanted to play something similar. Hopefully this is acceptable.

I guess now I wait for stats then I can submit orders? Correct me if I am wrong EQ

Lastly, should i provide a royal lineage and family tree?

Emperor Vral's Journal

Well, we managed to succeed in the goal that I had set forth earlier. The Empire is more bound together than ever before, though I am deeply afraid for my people's loyalty, and what we found out there on the plains when we followed and took the nomads back into our nation... what can it possibly mean? Did they perform some sort of ritual sacrifice or something of the sort to condemn my nation to be destroyed by fire and sword? The question drives me insane thinking about it, but the realization of what it means could possibly be worse by far. There are some things man was not meant to know after all.

But that doesn't matter at the moment. What does matter is dealing with the trade situation between the Shadowhold and the town of Satara; bandits are wreaking havoc between the settlements and they are taking massive chunks out of the types of profits we could be having if the situation was better than what it currently is... we will have to dispatch guards to monitor the countryside while we build ourselves roads and trade routes to link our cities together. The bandits will be dealt with; I can not allow these people to wreak havoc upon my nation and get away with it. This causes stability problems and keeps our material low. We need more cities and towns to spread over the entire island and prepare for the future. After all, more people means more resources and material that we collect so that the entire world may come under our peaceful banners.

And this new bloody fiasco in the Shadowhold is sparking off quite a bit of rage inside of the city. Bodies found slashed and torn open, like wolves or bears had done it, and plenty of dead people stacking up in the graveyards and the other assorted cadaver areas. We have identified the culprit though as a member of the city guard, a high ranking member to boot. This bodes ill for us; we have managed to keep a lid on the situation for this long, but I do not know how much longer we will be able to do so. The man's family begs leniency and mercy upon him, for us not to kill him. I won't risk upsetting them, they are one of our biggest supporters after all. But the man will be jailed in the Imperial Prison in the center of the Shadowhold and have guards posted around him, guards loyal only to me.

There is but one final thing I wish to write; the tomes that the legends speak of, the tome of Flames and the tome of the Seas. In our hands, they could be powerful weapons to deter anyone from attacking us, or trying to seize our lands. We must find a way to recover those tomes before others do; after all, the titans that wielded them used to watch over us for years and countless ages. Mayhaps they are around here somewhere?

Civilization Name: Dragons Arie
Dominant Race: Humans (99%) Greater Dragons (1%)
Government: Dragonocracy (ruled by dragons)
Leader Name: Dithrth'krin@ba Shu*@! ('=growl, @=sharp bark, *=a very loud roar, != unleashed gout of flame) Addressed by the humans as "Great Lord Drachy"
Leader Trait: Intellectual
Leader Background: Great Lord Dracky was the first of the Greater dragons to reconize the threat the smaller Races pose. He began calling for them to withdraw from the world and gather together, to organize to better protect themselves. And he was the first to reconize the value of humans as a servant race..

Starting Location: Dragons Arie is located on the shore next to two mountains north of the Harar.
Preferred Map Color: Red
Preferred Leader Names: unpronounceable draconian names, catchy name for the humans to refer to them.
Preferred City Names: reptilian themed
Background: As the Smaller races grew in power, the dragons knew fear. most of them started to withdraw from the lands claimed by the rising civilizations. some stood, fought, and died. One, The Great Lord Dracky, realized they needed to change their ways in order to survive. He gathered what dragons he could persuade, and fled north, to a place where civilization had yet to take hold. It was here he would forge his own civilization. a civilization that would not hunt his kind, but serve them. It was here he would Have Dragons Arie built.
The few humans that lived there were easy to subdue and awe, and quickly put to work. more would be kidnap from uncivilized tribes far away, to boost the work force. the most devoted were elevated above their brethren. to manage the day to day affairs, leaving just the major stuff for the dragons to deal with.

OOC: Dose that work?

Hey,

Need to do the stat part of your race.

Creating or Choosing Races
Spoiler :

The Dominant race of your nation is the one which pulls the strings and rules the rest within your society. While they may not be the only race, or even the majority race, in your empire, they are the ones in charge, and the ones the other nations associate with your empire's name. To begin with I have provided the standard fantasy races of Dwarves, Men, and Elves. These are not the only ones allowed. In fact, if you're encouraged to create your own (whether a variation on the big three or a completely new race). All you have to do is create a stat setup of races like the three below. Then they will be provided here in a similar format. Overall, these racial stats have little to do with the NES as a whole, besides providing some background and influencing your starting stats.

Combat is the level of proficiency in standard (non-magical) combat that the race demonstrates. Magecraft is the proficiency of the race when it comes to magical abilities. Charisma is the influence of your race over other races, when it comes to diplomacy and trade. Stealth is how sneaky the average member of your race is.

Note: Just making it clear here that these stats for races have very little to do with the way the NES functions or you freedom to do whatever you like with the civilization you create. This should just give you some notion of how the NPCs of these races think. Also, this affects the types of classes that heroes will be when they emerge. Also, you can make up whatever lore you like for the existing generic races (though please defer to the creating player if another race you want to play as is added)

Men
Combat: 25%
Magecraft: 20%
Charisma: 30%
Stealth: 25%

Elves
Combat: 20%
Magecraft: 40%
Charisma: 25%
Stealth: 15%

Dwarves
Combat: 40%